John Williams and the Boston Pops - "Hooray For Hollywood" - May 25-28, 2011

TownerFan

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going again tonight! Can't wait to hear the suite from Memoirs, Scherzo for Motorcycle and all the repeats! Shame about Witches of Eastwick, though, and I do hope Williams switches up the encores. I'll also try for another autograph, but if the exit is mobbed by reseller hoodlums, I think we'll just book.

I'll also try and get some photos tonight.

As I did last year, I'm going to try stay awake to listen to this concert live! Still more than 3 hours to go.

Is tonight's broadcast online? what's the link?

If I were you, I'd talk to security beforehand if they can do something about those guys.

they should only allow people with concert tickets for autographs

just got back.

I'm trying to record some of it with VLC. I can't find where you set the output bitrate..anyine knows? Default it just records at 160kbps..or is that the concert bitrate?

Did Williams tweak the Geisha concert versions yet again? Going to School is lovely here. I really hope someone is recording (I'm not after all)

It sucks big time they removed the Oboe concerto. The sound on this is pretty amazing for a live broadcast

am I alone listening here?

No, you're not. I'm listening to it too. Everything has been great so far, and the suite is phenomenal! :up:

Edit: The narrator said that the Oboe Concert has been recorded in an Oboe-Piano version and that they'll play the Horn Concerto tomorrow.

The third piece from Geisha seemed different from previous versions too

Great hearing Williams sounding so passionate about composing at his age

Is tonight's broadcast online? what's the link?

If I were you, I'd talk to security beforehand if they can do something about those guys.

they should only allow people with concert tickets for autographs

Unfortunately there's not much legally they can do to remove them from the sidewalk, which is public property. However they could have detained them for crossing the police tape line as soon as they reached over and almost hit Williams in the head with those LPs.

The best solution though would be to go back to doing autographs inside the building where they would be within their rights to expell non-ticket-holders.

Is someone recording the stream? Would especially like "Far and Away", "Dracula", and "Sabrina" as I don't think there are any official recordings of these arrangements.

yes, I checked the codec of the broadcast stream and it says MPEG 1/2/3 at 112kbps, maybe that's why VLC was recording at 160kbps. Doesn't sound bad though.

I should have recorded the Geisha suite after all

I tried to record but I can't find the settings I want with VLC.

I'm sure someone else might be

I have never used VLC to record anything. I did not know that is possible to record something with that :-D. I have installed the real player and it has the recording fuction so ... I am very interested about the output.

There's already a great recording of the full Geisha suite by the Chicago Symphony on the "Music of America" album.

I use Roxio VHS to DVD, it records in WAV, FLAC and 320kbps! :P

infact, I use it for DVD rips

well, if you pick "MP3" in the broadcast page, then VLC plays it. In codec Info it says 112kbps.

You just record by pressing the red recording dots and it saves a file in "my music" when you press record again a second time

I just can't seem to find a way to set the format output of the file you record.

1941 just ruined by people laughing

There's already a great recording of the full Geisha suite by the Chicago Symphony on the "Music of America" album.

it sounded different yet again? maybe I'm wrong

ok now Sabrina is different from any of the OST tracks

Medley time. Not a big fan of such medleys

Encores. Harry Potter.Williams reminding us what the real HP theme is

This concert has been a major letdown. There's been nothing remarkable apart from the Dracula theme. The Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, and the Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha (which has ended up being the "Three Selections") have been replaced by the Superman March... I've only enjoyed the first part of the concert with Jubilee 350, Jaws and Dracula. The rest was the same as previous years, and the performance was so-so...

Tonight's show wasn't as good as Wednesday. Scherzo was very disappointingly replaced without warning, no Witches of Eastwick again...I've heard Jaws' theme conducted by John Williams 4 times this week. Geisha was good. Jubilee, Dracula, Vader's theme...oh yeah. You should be so lucky to experience these in person. The performance of the night for me was Hedwig's Theme, which everyone freaked out over. We did record the show on tape, but it's probably obsolete compared to the radio broadcast.

The crowd at Symphony Hall is just obnoxious. I feel like you have a select group of people attending for the music and showing the proper etiquette. Everyone else is just there for something to do on a Saturday night. I mean, who starts blabbing in Symphony Hall while John Williams is conducting the Boston Pops in the Superman march?? People are ordering drinks nonstop in the orchestra seating, the doors never stay closed. It just seems to have become an embarrassment by my lifetime.

Anyway:

image152w.jpg

Woohoo!

Good words of advice for when I go see the Maestro in the Burgh in a few weeks. I don't know if it will be simulcast on the radio or any web page, which would be nice. I do not have the hardware needed to make an on-site recording, and am pretty sure I would not be able to be quiet for the entire show to make the recoding worth it for anyone but me.

[i will try to upload 15th May 2010 show soon.

It is webcast version - 112 kbps without any cuts.

From the FORUM RULES:

08 - Discussion of music CDs before they are in stores (ie when they "leak" to the internet) is allowed, as is discussion of leaked recording sessions, sheet music, and other bootlegs. HOWEVER:

a) You may not post a link to, or name of, any site where this material can be illegally downloaded.

b) You may not offer on the public forums to send this material to anybody who PMs you.

c) You may not ask on the public forums for somebody to PM you a link to this material.

Wait is Williams horn Concerto going to play?

Assuming it's this concert from October 2009, then yes: http://wmnr.net/concert/details.aspx?PId=5036708

- Copland: El salón México

- Barber: School for Scandal Overture, Op. 5

- Barber: Adagio for Strings, Op. 11

- Barber: Medea's Meditation and Dance of Vengeance, Op. 23a (PLAYING NOW!)

- Williams: Concerto for Horn and Orchestra

- Copland: Rodeo: Four Dance Episodes

wait.I'm confused, is it playing on WGBH like last night?

And this is the performance we already have on digital download?

wait.I'm confused, is it playing on WGBH like last night?

Yes: http://www.wgbh.org/995/

And this is the performance we already have on digital download?

Not sure.

EDIT: No, not the same. Digital download is Detroit SO; this is the Pittsburgh SO.

So why did they change the Oboe Concerto for Memoirs on Saturday?

Is it because people might record it on the radio broadcast type of issue?

Anybody else loving the typo on the main page?

Boston Autograph Singing Reports

Quite an unfortunate experience, according to some JWFan members

I bet it was! (Imagine Johnny as a singing telegram?)

Anybody else loving the typo on the main page?

Boston Autograph Singing Reports

Quite an unfortunate experience, according to some JWFan members

I bet it was! (Imagine Johnny as a singing telegram?)

:lol: