Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I still think it might be health reasons

Let's not jump into rash conclusions here. I know you like your health theory but most likely a reasonable explanation is that the music production has been divided and handled differently this time around. Everything is pointing to that direction in my opinion.

And what if Conrad Pope has been conducting the score? Does it somehow lessen its value in our eyes and ears? What is Shore is using orchestrators. Does that mean that it isn't his music anymore but somehow the orchestrator changes his style and voice? Shouldn't a good orchestrator do the exact opposite and assume the voice of the composer he is hired to help?

So I still don't understand the panic that has been plaguing this discussion for a while now, even though it comes out in the form of humour and jokes. We will hear the results of these recording sessions before Christmas when the soundtrack comes out. Let's not make too far flung judgements on the score before that based on very little information.

I guess it's more likely to assume that there were scheduling conflicts with Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street. That film was originally slated for a fall 2013 release, but then it was moved to early 2014, as Scorsese asked the studio more time to finish the film.

However, it looks like Paramount is pushing hard Scorsese to deliver the film on its original date, because apparently they don't want to miss the big awards season. And now the official release date has been moved back to November 2013.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/will-scorsese-be-able-to-make-wolf-of-wall-street-deadline

I suppose this means something for Shore's involvement as well.

Well if Shore has this other tight schedule scoring gig underway then I don't wonder at all if he is dividing his time between DoS and Wolf of Wallstreet in this fashion. Of course we do not officially know if it actually is The Wolf of Wallstreet production that is the reason for the way Shore and PJ have orchestrated the DoS recording sessions.

Its the best reason I've heard so far, before we have official word.

Isn't it awful how we don't have the information on this like right now. It is the internet age for god's sake! Instant gratification of our (information) needs! ;)

I wonder if the Wolf on Wall Street will get much of a score. I thought Scorecese preferred his own compiled soundtrack for films like that.

And SUH, there are a lot of great non-LOTR Shore scores! Check out The Fly, Ms. Doubtfire, M.Butterfly, Dead Ringers, The Departed, Soul of the Ultimate Nation (LotR extension), Looking for Richard, Eastern Promises, Hugo.

I wonder if the Wolf on Wall Street will get much of a score. I thought Scorecese preferred his own compiled soundtrack for films like that.

And SUH, there are a lot of great non-LOTR Shore scores! Check out The Fly, Ms. Doubtfire, M.Butterfly, Dead Ringers, The Departed, Soul of the Ultimate Nation (LotR extension), Looking for Richard, Eastern Promises, Hugo.

Yeah that's a pretty good list KK. I would also add Dogma, Silence of the Lambs, A History of Violence (part classic suspense Shore score and part LotR light) and Aviator.

Yes I forgot about those Incanus. All great stuff.

And Dead Ringers is simply sublime!

I have to check it out then!

I've seen Eastern promises and it has a really good theme, but for about 2/3 of the film it seems that is the only music used. There is different music near the end but nothing I remember standing out or being noticeably thematic. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the music and the film.

I meant was there scores that have the complexity of LOTR scores, ok maybe not that complex, but with several themes. I think Hugo is white thematic but ill have to listen to all his scores. Ultimate Nation is probably the next one I'll check out, it seems exciting.

Shore isn't usually the most thematic of composers. LotR scores are perhaps his most thematically focused and extrovert work to date and rather an exception in his ouvre outside his few brighter comedies and dramas. That doesn't mean that his music doesn't have themes, but they are of a bit less hummable kind. This of course doesn't make his work for e.g. Looking for Richard or Dogma or Soul of the Ultimate Nation any less great.

He's not scoring Wolf of Wall Street and he's completely and utterly healthy. The schedule--and travel--simply worked better with a few tasks divvied up. The NZ performance is great and the music is entirely Shore's, don't sweat it. There's no news because people are ... you know ... working!

This score is going to knock everyone's socks off; it's *phenomenal*. But don't look for details for a while yet. Work comes first, promotion after. The play's the thing. :)

-The Horse

Thank you very much for this info Doug! That clears things up quite a bit. And colour me truly excited for DoS now!

Heh I see the horse moniker stuck then. ;)

And you are wise to have that respect.

This has happened before. With Goldsmith for example when he had cancer.

People "in the know" saying Goldsmith was fine, you don't have to worry. Sure you can buy tickets to his 75th birthday concert.

Few months later he was dead, and those "in the know" admitting they lied to protect the Maestro's privacy etc etc...

Doug already stated he signed an NDA, meaning if something was wrong he would not be able to tell us.

But ever since Pope's contribution was announced all what was said was "don't worry, it's all good, it's all normal" even though for Howard Shore, it isnt.

He's not scoring Wolf of Wall Street and he's completely and utterly healthy. The schedule--and travel--simply worked better with a few tasks divvied up. The NZ performance is great and the music is entirely Shore's, don't sweat it. There's no news because people are ... you know ... working!This score is going to knock everyone's socks off; it's *phenomenal*. But don't look for details for a while yet. Work comes first, promotion after. The play's the thing. :)-The Horse

Thank you, I was starting to get worried about his health!

But you saying the score is phenomenal doesn't exactly make waiting easier. Dammit, let Christmas come soon!

But I believe Stefancos suggested the idea. He is one of the the JW Fan members I have the most respect for.

Hahahaha!

Come on, let him be, he will find out soon enough.

Stefan, give it a rest.

Wait? pages and pages of fanboy speculation and you are telling me to shut up?

Must have hit pretty close to the mark to get you all riled up like that.

Ooohh you even removed that part after first editing it because you screwed up my name. Something is DEFINITELY going on here!

I remember people commenting when they saw pics of Shore last year. 6b words, over and over again, just 6 words.

"Don't you think he looks tired?"

LOL

SafeUnderHill.

I don't have any connection or knowledge to Shore like Doug. I was just speculating.

I certainly hope Doug is right and he is healthy and we are are needlessly nitpicking.

But no one can't admit that this isn't just a bit unusual; for Howard Shore. The man who wrote 3 massive scores under huge pressure using only a pencil.

That doesn't mean you should push a man to the point of complete exhaustion. Again. 10 years later when he's 60+.

Jackson constantly spoke about trying to not put him into that position again during the production of LotR. Never worked.

And AUJ is the last indicator that such a dividing of duties is not the worst decision.

But no one can't admit that this isn't just a bit unusual; for Howard Shore. The man who wrote 3 massive scores under huge pressure using only a pencil.

Ten years ago! I'm sure it was an exhausting experience then and he would not necessarily want to repeat it now.

-The Horse

Heh I see the horse moniker stuck then. ;)

Thus I named him, and that he became! ;)

LOL

SafeUnderHill.

I don't have any connection or knowledge to Shore like Doug. I was just speculating.

I certainly hope Doug is right and he is healthy and we are are needlessly nitpicking.

Yes I know that, I just tend to agree with you on most things. You see to be one of the more rational and positive people here, you also seem to be the end of lots of JWFan jokes too ;) .

Stefan isn't the end of JWFan jokes. He IS one of JWFan's great jokes!

I kid of course Steef, please don't cry!

LOL SafeUnderHill.I don't have any connection or knowledge to Shore like Doug. I was just speculating.I certainly hope Doug is right and he is healthy and we are are needlessly nitpicking. But no one can't admit that this isn't just a bit unusual; for Howard Shore. The man who wrote 3 massive scores under huge pressure using only a pencil.

Yes I know that, I just tend to agree with you on most things. You see to be one of the more rational and positive people here, you also seem to be the end of lots of JWFan jokes too ;) .

I think this should unravel the space-time continuum or something.

He's not scoring Wolf of Wall Street and he's completely and utterly healthy. The schedule--and travel--simply worked better with a few tasks divvied up. The NZ performance is great and the music is entirely Shore's, don't sweat it. There's no news because people are ... you know ... working!

This score is going to knock everyone's socks off; it's *phenomenal*. But don't look for details for a while yet. Work comes first, promotion after. The play's the thing. :)

-The Horse

Great news Doug!

Thanks!

My thoughts about this score, specially with the music of "LakeTown", is that Shore will use "russian folks instruments" and maybe a prestissimo epic theme for Bard with...BALALAIKAS!!

And I want to hear again ney flutes, monochords and other "strange" instruments"