The BFG FILM Discussion

Jay

I cannot wait to hear the Maestro's music for this film.

Let's just wait.

Maybe he gets replaced for this film too..

By the way, the logo doesn't appear to me in your post.

Here it is again.

the-bfg-logo.jpg

I see shades of A.I.!

I must say, that watching the animation film, the story was very uninteresting to me.

I'm curious to see how he will make it interesting.

With Williams' score... like he did with Hook.

I cannot wait to hear the Maestro's music for this film.

Let's just wait.

Maybe he gets replaced for this film too..

Not really...

"Williams, whose credits include “Stars Wars: The Force Awakens” and the “Harry Potter” films, will join Spielberg on his next film, “The BFG,” beginning later this year, continuing their unprecedented collaboration which they have enjoyed for over 40 years."

This was from the DreamWorks press release of the news that the Maestro was unable to do the score for Steven Spielberg's "Bridge of Spies" due to a minor health issue.

John Williams will continue his long collaboration with Mr. Spielberg for "The Big Friendly Giant" sometime after he completes his work on Star Wars, Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

Steven Spielberg WON’T be filming The Big Friendly Giant in the Faroe Islands

Director Steven Spielberg isn’t shooting The Big Friendly Giant in the Faroe Islands.

Animal welfare activists had launched a petition asking Spielberg to reconsider the location in light of the whaling that takes place there.

Petition author Kellie McLeod said that the whales ‘don’t die instantly’ during the hunts. The petition has fetched over 50,000 signatures.

Now DreamWorks, via ScreenDaily, have confirmed that Spielberg isn’t filming in the Faroe Islands, and didn’t intend to.

The studio said that the petition ‘had no actual relevance to the filmmaker, studio or The BFG production.’

It goes on: ‘It is understood the Faroe Islands was at one point among a number of locations under consideration for second unit footage before DreamWorks heads opted to stay away from it and other locales for various reasons.’

Earlier reports had suggested the director was set to shoot there in July.

Animal welfare activists have launched a petition against Steven Spielberg filming in Faroe Islands -

Animal rights activists have launched a petition to ask Steven Spielberg not to film The Big Friendly Giant in the Faroe Islands.

The Care2 petition, written by Kellie McLeod, asks the director to reconsider filming in the location in light of the hunting of pilot whales and white-sided dolphins that takes place there in the summer. The petition, which hasfetched over 50,000 signatures so far, adds that the animals are killed inhumanely.

She writes: ‘These intelligent, empathic, sentient & emotional mammals don’t die instantly and often suffer prolonged agony in the blood-stained waters.

‘These animals need not be killed for the people of the Faroe Islands to subsist. They already boast one of Europe’s best average standards of living, thus having enough meat to survive is not a major concern of the population.’

Update:

JUNE 9 UPDATE: The studio confirmed on Tuesday it has never shot nor does it plan to shoot its Roald Dahl adaptation on the Faroe Islands as an anti-whale hunt petition focused on the North Atlantic settlement neared 50,000 signatures.

Animal rights campaigners have urged Steven Spielberg and others to stay away from the islands, however a spokesperson for the studio stressed the petition had no actual relevance to the filmmaker, studio or The BFGproduction.

It is understood the Faroe Islands was at one point among a number of locations under consideration for second unit footage before DreamWorks heads opted to stay away from it and other locales for various reasons.

Principal photography continues in Vancouver. Disney will distribute children’s The BFG in the US in 2016 and handles select international territories alongside Mister Smith Entertainment.

A story on Screendaily on Monday implied The BFG was set to shoot on the Faroes and we are happy to set the record straight.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/production/dreamworks-sets-record-straight-over-the-bfg-shoot/5089199.article

Williams' schedule won't allow him to do that, so Newman will replace him.

Please tell me that you're joking.

Please? :crymore:

Bit too fast. Wasn't Indy 4 shot on 36 days?

4 months according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Kingdom_of_the_Crystal_Skull#Filming

I love Williams in light fantasy mode so I'm really looking forward to this.

Bit too fast. Wasn't Indy 4 shot on 36 days?

4 months according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Kingdom_of_the_Crystal_Skull#Filming

I love Williams in light fantasy mode so I'm really looking forward to this.

Same here. It'll be nice to hear another fantasy score from Williams.

Steven Spielberg has just finished production on The BFG.

"Mister Smith Entertainment’s presentation at CineEurope on Monday featured a brief video message from one of Hollywood’s masters.

Steven Spielberg talked about his 2016 family adventure The BFG to the international exhibitors in attendance, saying he “just wrapped up filming in Vancouver” and that New Zealand visual effects company Weta Digital would be “bringing Roald Dahl’s giants to life.”

“I’m sure you’ll fall in love with these characters,” he added.

Mister Smith’s David Garrett said that The BFG was reuniting Spielberg with his “dream team” of producers Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy, E.T. screenwriter Melissa Mathison and long-serving composer John Williams."

Excerpt from this link:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cineeurope-steven-spielberg-talks-bfg-804202

Steven Spielberg has just finished production on The BFG.

"Mister Smith Entertainment’s presentation at CineEurope on Monday featured a brief video message from one of Hollywood’s masters.

Steven Spielberg talked about his 2016 family adventure The BFG to the international exhibitors in attendance, saying he “just wrapped up filming in Vancouver” and that New Zealand visual effects company Weta Digital would be “bringing Roald Dahl’s giants to life.”

“I’m sure you’ll fall in love with these characters,” he added.

Mister Smith’s David Garrett said that The BFG was reuniting Spielberg with his “dream team” of producers Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy, E.T. screenwriter Melissa Mathison and long-serving composer John Williams."

Excerpt from this link:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cineeurope-steven-spielberg-talks-bfg-804202

I am surprised Kennedy is producing. one would think running Lucasfilm would be enough.

Kathleen Kennedy has produced just about all of Spielberg's films since Raiders, only missing a small handful (Amistad, Minority Report, The Terminal) Why stop now!

She's also skipping Bridge of Spies, for obvious reasons, but yeah it must be doable. Lots of people in Hollywood multitask at pretty high levels, Spielberg included.

• 2 months later...

Also, according to this interview:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/02/steven-spielberg-superhero-movies

....Spielberg is already in post-production of THE BFG. That must mean Williams is almost finished with STAR WARS (maybe finished?) and started working on it?

Spielberg confirmed in another interview lately that Williams is indeed onboard for this film. Not that I was ever in doubt.

I will be very interested if he ends up doing Ready Player One. Could be a great opportunity to expand on the Dr. Know kind of material from AI.

Personally I hope they don't go all orchestral like in Pixels.

Yes... it's no different than anything else. I did something last month that had six synths in with the rest of the ensemble. They were written into the score like any other keyboard part. Synth prelays or postlays don't even have to be written down, but I suspect the keyboard type notation for real-time performance is what Williams would do.

Williams may have a clash with Episode VIII if Ready Player One releases in the same summer.

Assuming he scores it, that is. He'd be writing it next November or thereabouts.

Dec 2015: Star Wars 7

Jul 2016: The BFG

May 2017: Star Wars 8

Dec 2017: Ready Player One

May 2018: Star Wars: Han Solo

Fall 2018: Spielberg's next (It's What I Do?)

May 2019: Star Wars 9

Fall 2019: Spielberg's next

That could work!

Spielberg may have felt more comfortable lapping Williams with a movie like BOS, given the type of score that it most likely demanded. If things were reversed, and he had just finished BFG and wanted to do Bridge of Spies next, I'm not so sure that he would have gone with another composer. I think he would have waited. In my opinion, it was the material, the type of film, that granted him the contentment in seeking "outside help" for BOS.

Dec 2015: Star Wars 7

Jul 2016: The BFG

May 2017: Star Wars 8

Dec 2017: Ready Player One

May 2018: Star Wars: Han Solo

Fall 2018: Spielberg's next (It's What I Do?)

May 2019: Star Wars 9

Fall 2019: Spielberg's next

That could work!

Very unlikely.

I do hope that Spielberg's boring JLaw drama doesn't conflict with anything (should he decided to release in 2017 for whatever reason).