What movie has left you wondering. . .

Ren

I mean (after listening to Howie Carr yesterday) what movie, classic preferably, has numerous people told you "you have to see it", the media has said the same . . . .and then you watch it and wonder, what the heck was all the hype about??????

Such as: yesterday Gone With the Wind was the general consensus, though someone did call in about Fantasia.

It was The Thin Red Line for me. But anyway, shortly after its release, a lot of my people agreed with me.

About classical stuff, I wouldn't know. I like almost everything out there. Maybe me hating The King and I would qualify, but that's a not a loved-by-everyone fillm. Does Superman count as classical? I've already stated my unappreciation of the movie versions of my favorite hero.

-ROSS, who also thought Fantasia was dull and boring, unlike the New York scene in Fantasia 2000 which I might call the best sequence of recent cinema history.

Add me to the list of people that cannot get through Gone With The Wind.

I'm also not a fan of The Blues Brothers. I had been told for years how funny it was. Well, I love National Lampoon's Animal House and 1941 (similar casts and made around the same time) so I figured I'd give it a shot. I didn't laugh once during it. I thought it was terrible.

Neil - who has never seen Braveheart because of all of the praise it has received

Neil - who has never seen Braveheart because of all of the praise it has received

now there's a good reason not to see a movie.

recently, i'd say The Matrix. i am one of the few who doesn't think it's a great movie. it's entertaining, yes, a decent flick, but FAR from a great movie. people seemed to respond to its philosophical ideas, which i don't understand because there have been stories about this sort of thing since the beginning of time! let alone movies.

Ted- who thinks that Dark City is far more inventive and original than The Matrix

Gosford Park for me.

I LOVE Agatha Christie and "whodunits" but this was WAY beyond me. I knew SOMEONE had to be murdered and it didn't happen until an hour and a half into it.

blah.

Gosford Park for me.

I LOVE Agatha Christie and "whodunits" but this was WAY beyond me.  I knew SOMEONE had to be murdered and it didn't happen until an hour and a half into it.

blah.

OH MY GOD REN!!!! I totally agree. I am too a big mysterybuff. I love CSI and Monk. beerchug

And I though Gosford Park was going to be a great whodunnit, I mean after the Oscar win I thought it'd be good. But after watching it, I was all WTF*** is this shit??!!

And the ending left me confused as heck and mad...

Braveheart, I have never seen, despite the hype....don't care to see.

Matrix, I liked. not overrated, I'm very excited to see Matrix 2 and 3.

You know i havent read HP for the same thing?

Yes, but you don't see me bad-mouthing Braveheart. I haven't seen it, how can I?

Neil

The Exorist. Yeah, watching a girl go crazy is real scary! 8O

Sometimes I wonder if you have actually seen this film Nicholas. Its not about a girl going crazy at all.

I often wondered what was the hype all about before I finally watched Gone With the Wind, and I was caught up in the film. It is wonderful.

Blair Witch Project as someone mentioned. It was a minor hit lets be realistic. But it was vastly overated and is actually a horrible film. Not one bit scary.

LA Confindential is a film that did nothing for me. Still don't see the hype.

Same with Gladiator.

Classic films that for me don't live up to the hype, Citizen Kane, and On the Waterfront.

Joe.

I do love some classic musicals though. Everyone to their own opinion. I just let it ride here when someone says stuff about HP. Because I want to know what movies people watched because of hype and then you were left wondering WTF.

I did say classics though 8O

The Exorist. Yeah, watching a girl go crazy is real scary! :baaa:

Sometimes I wonder if you have actually seen this film Nicholas. Its not about a girl going crazy at all.

You should know what I mean. Besides, it lacked anything interesting, possession is absurd and silly, it wouldn't have been much different if the film was about elves, globins or hell even ewoks. And the antics of the evil spirit are supposed to be scary? The only thing that approached scary is some of the music.

Same with Gladiator.

It's a fine film.

I often wondered what was the hype all about before I finally watched Gone With the Wind, and I was caught up in the film. It is wonderful.

8O

You know i havent read HP for the same thing?

Yes, but you don't see me bad-mouthing Braveheart. I haven't seen it, how can I?

Neil

I didnt bad-mouth it until someone pulled my tonge. (elevating it at the expense of SW)

And if you thought that Braveheart was good. You would have already seen it.

That doesn't make any sense, Luke.

Neil never said Braveheart was good. Only that he abstains from saying anything about it since he has never seen it.

And if you thought that Braveheart was good. You would have already seen it.

That doesn't make any sense, Luke.

Neil never said Braveheart was good. Only that he abstains from saying anything about it since he has never seen it.

Never saw Braveheart, not my type of film. Not a Mel fan, either.

As far as classics, I never got the deal with Gone With The Wind, The Sound of Music or Casablanca.

I thought Gosford Park was brilliant -- loved Helen Mirren and Bob Balaban. (Of course the seeds for the Balaban fan were planted in CE3K!)

Ren and Kradia, fair enough if one doesn't get it, but I would have to add that I think it was much less a whodunit than a social study a la the Merchant Ivory films like Remains of the Day.

On the other side of Ren's question, I waited years to see The English Patient and unlike Elaine Beniss from Seinfeld, I thought it lived up to the hype and more.

As far as classics, I never got the deal with Gone With The Wind, The Sound of Music or Casablanca.

I thought Gosford Park was brilliant -- loved Helen Mirren and Bob Balaban. (Of course the seeds for the Balaban fan were planted in CE3K!)

Ren and Kradia, fair enough if one doesn't get it, but I would have to add that I think it was much less a whodunit than a social study a la the Merchant Ivory films like Remains of the Day.

Hey that's cool.

I love the sound of music. But Gosford Park. I totally understood the social study for sure. I mean cripes they did an hour and a half on it. Brilliant social study. But the previews/teasers/trailers/back o' the box said murder. . . .no "social study" anywhere....

IF you get my drift! LOL

LA Confindential is a film that did nothing for me.  Still don't see the hype.

Classic films that for me don't live up to the hype, Citizen Kane, and On the Waterfront.

:(:angry:ROTFLMAO :cool: :joke:

eek2 yet you think Superman is a stroke of genius?! i'm not rippin on you here, i'm just a bit surprised.

I just watched Panic Room with some friends the other night. It looked really good and I was expecting a suspenseful film. As it turns out, although it was pretty good, it wasn't really suspenseful. And the ending . . . WTF??? I watched it with 7 other people and we were all baffled.

***Spoilers***

There was that huge build-up of music (thank you Howie), and then . . . . NOTHING! What the heck??? Did the robber die? Did the dad die? WHAT HAPPENED? The only thing I could think of was that maybe the statue next tothe bench at the very end was significant in some way. But I was prett confused. Anyone have any insights?

Another movie that comes to mind is Superman. Sure, it was good in some parts (I love Lois' lines in the terrace scene: "Do you . . . . eat?" "How big - I mean, tall are you? LOL ), but some of it was laughable. Just my humble opinion of course. :(

Ray Barnsbury

Hey that's cool.

I love the sound of music.  But Gosford Park.  I totally understood the social study for sure.  I mean cripes they did an hour and a half on it.  Brilliant social study.  But the previews/teasers/trailers/back o' the box said murder. . . .no "social study" anywhere....

IF you get my drift! LOL

Gotcha, and OK even the whodunit was predictable. But I loved the humour -- especially Balaban's Flapper-era version of the cellphone-addicted Hollywood producer, ranting long distance about his movie stars, "Is she English or just affected?" LOL

Mission Impossible 2 The whole thing was action and slow mo with Tom Cruise doing really cool kicks. Um plot please? :angry:

Spy Kids Some parts were ok but....thumb thumbs? :?

Attack of the C-....well lets not start that. :devil:

Gremlins and Gremlins 2 This movie is great it combines wonderful humor with a great plot. And wonderfull characters with so great of a premise what could be better than a bunch of little critters running around suberbia and terroroizing the populace? :angry:

JUST ABOUT ANYTHING!! This movie is the most annoying idiotic film I have ever seen and everybody runs around saying oooh oooh they are so cute and funny Hee hee hee. What is wrong with all you people? It is stupid s-t-u-p-i-d!!!!!!!!!!

Justin -Who needs to calm down.... :angry:

Mission Impossible 2 The whole thing was action and slow mo with Tom Cruise doing really cool kicks. Um plot please? :|  

I know what you mean! During the final scene I kept thinking just how many more times can he jump up sideways and kick that guy in the head before they both DIE?!?!?!?!?!?

Ray Barnsbury

Gremlins and Gremlins 2

Hmm, I think Gremlins is nice. Gremlins 2 is indeed idiotic. But that's the whole point! It's not really a sequel, it's mostly a big spoof. It's quite amazing that a movie like that could get made at all in Hollywood. Plus it has Goldsmith in a speaking role!

Marian - who has the G2 DVD.

I've always thought these were a bit overhyped or didn't live up to all the hype:

2001 - :music::ola::ola::ola::ola: I can't belive Kubrick thru out North's score. His rejected music is the only interesting thing about the film and it wasn't even used. I though North nailed what Kubrick wanted but sadly it was not to be.

Planet of the Apes - A very good score by Goldsmith and over the top acting by Charlton Heston but the film as whole just doesn't do it for me. Funny I can listen to Goldsmith's score but not watch the film.

Harry Potter - I've softened my stance some what since I've been forced to watch it again but it's nothing special other than Williams score.

The Omen - Again great score by Goldsmith but not really the chills I was expecting to get when I first saw it.

Alien - Goldsmith delivers but as with all of Ridley Scott's films it kinda plods and doesn't deliver the chills one would expect.

Gladiator - ??????????????????? A good film with a good score??? yeah right :)

Gone with the Wind - I've tried but just can't appreciate it.

The Wizard of Oz - God I've tried even harder on this one but in the end no such luck.

The Matrix - nothing special, really didn't set any box office records (150 to 170 million?) yet they are going ahead with 2 sequels at the same time to be released within 3 months of each other????

Thin Red Line - Go watch Saving Private Ryan or if you need to go to sleep put this film on.

Any film by Woody Allen.

Rocky - just not interesting at all.

I agree with 2001. I had not seen it in full until three years ago, and I thought the experience was worse than getting a root canal.

As far as The English Patient, I saw it the weekend it came out, mostly because Miramax was already saying it was an Oscar contender. I was just like Elaine -- I was the only person in the theater wondering when he was "just going to f***ing DIE!" It was excruciating. And then to see it pick up all those Oscars (besides costumes and set design, it deserved little else). Ugh.

Jeff -- who did give "The English Patient" another try and found it only slightly more enetertaining

The Exorist.  

You should know what I mean. Besides, it lacked anything interesting, possession is absurd and silly, it wouldn't have been much different if the film was about elves, globins or hell even ewoks. And the antics of the evil spirit are supposed to be scary? The only thing that approached scary is some of the music.

The Exorcist had about 10 minutes of music,because Lalo shiffin's score was rejected.And wether it's scary or not depends in some way to your religious background.Possesion IS still considered possible by Jesuit priests,and it's listed as unwelknown phenomena still listed in cuerrent psychiatry books,called "posession trance".Of course it's a diagnosis of exclusion.

And if you didn't know ,it caused mass panic and faintings in many movie goers in 73,and I recently saw the version recently showed in theaters,and people had very tence nervous reactions and were NOT laughing,I can tell you that.

The whole movie has this foul and chilling atmosphere and storyline that far exceeds the sight of Linda Blair in demon makeup.

And whatever you say,it IS generally considered as the scariest movie ever.

K.M.

The Omen - Again great score by Goldsmith but not really the chills I was expecting to get when I first saw it.

it's one score that is best appreciated with the chilling images on screen.the assaultive chorus just jumps at you in very well concieved supence or gruesome set pieces.

K.M.

it's one score that is best appreciated with the chilling images on screen.the assaultive chorus just jumps at you in very well concieved supence or gruesome set pieces.

K.M.

Actually I was referring to the movie itself, not the score. I love the score to The Omen and can listen to it without the film.

Yeah. If "The Omen" had a different score, it would have been a crappy movie. I enjoy listening to the CD more than hearing the score in the film, but the score does work well.

I've always thought that the Omen score sets the overall mood very well in the film, but somehow doesn't really address the film other than that. Which is probably the reason why I never found it really scary, unlike Poltergeist for example. Which is why I also think Omen is one of the few scores that are enjoyable in the film but a lot more enjoyable on CD (not counting movies that are too horrible to watch them :sigh:).

• 3 weeks later...

I saw The Omen and the Exorcist closer to the times there were released (Yeah, I'm more than 30). At that time at least, the issues of the Anti-christ and the 666, as well as demonic possesions where REALLY scary.

Funny? Well, today people is scared about witches and ghosts of a little girl coming out a TV set, and crop circles. I'm just scared of George W. Bush being re-elected for second run.

I suppose Gone with the Wind did impacted some at the time it was released. I never appretiated Casablanca until we analyzed it in a scriptwritting seminar. Or Citizen Kane, until I rented the DVD and saw it with the commentaries.

It's a matter of tastes and circumpstances when you saw the movie. I never liked "Dances with Wolves" for instance. Or "Titanic". Or "Gladiator". I guess I'll settle with "Titanic", which I still don't understand how can it appear No.1 in imdb.com top grossing movies of all time.

Which is probably the reason why I never found it really scary, unlike Poltergeist for example.

Hmmm,I think that Goldsmith's beautiful score to Poltergeist made the movie more absorbing but less scary that it could have been,same with The Final Conflict.

K.M.Replying to a few OT posts.

no one seems to think poorly of Willy Wonka.

that's good!

I loved it as a kid. and still do.

I love that movie too!!!

What left me "wondering was "The Ring" How did the tape get made in the 1st place??????

no one seems to think poorly of Willy Wonka.

that's good!

I loved it as a kid. and still do.

I love that movie too!!!

What left me "wondering was "The Ring" How did the tape get made in the 1st place??????

That was me - the 1st time in a while that i got logged out and didnt relize...

The Ring has more plot holes than any film in recent memory, i think. there are a lot of things that just don't make sense about it. i thought it was an entertaining film and i loved how it was so well put together, from a purely visual standpoint. not only are there plotholes everywhere, but as the movie goes on and makes itself more complicated, the less interesting it gets until it just veers off into complete siliness. it had potential, but unfortunately it didn't amount to much other than an atmospheric, sometimes scary ride.

Ted

Collateral Damage. How is this diffrent from all of Arnold's other films? :)

Plot to CD: Man's wife and son are killed by terrorist. Man seeks revenge.

Justin

Collateral Damage. How is this diffrent from all of Arnold's other films? :)  

Plot to CD: Man's wife and son are killed by terrorist. Man seeks revenge.

Justin

yes, Colateral Damage was a pretty bad movie.

Ted