The Official Howard Shore Thread

Jilal

Speaking of legitimate, did they ever succeed rooting out those "fake" The Lord of the Rings symphony concerts that were touring Europe some time ago with the questionable arrangements of the music?

Please explain!

There were a few years ago some LotR concerts around Europe that were actually gobbled shoddily together from rather questionable arrangements of Shore's music that were not authorized by him in any way. I can't off the top of my head remember the orchestra's name but I believe they did quite a few concerts.

Speaking of legitimate, did they ever succeed rooting out those "fake" The Lord of the Rings symphony concerts that were touring Europe some time ago with the questionable arrangements of the music?

Please explain!

There were a few years ago some LotR concerts around Europe that were actually gobbled shoddily together from rather questionable arrangements of Shore's music that were not authorized by him in any way. I can't off the top of my head remember the orchestra's name but I believe they did quite a few concerts.

Typical European shady dealings and unscrupulous behavior. A continent of slimy crooks!

Please bear in mind this is of questionable legitimacy. May just be an international loophole, but approach with caution.

So this is a bootleg then?

Karol

Please explain!

Not the New Romanian Symphonic Orchestra and Choir i hope

This seems like a more compelling and direct piece than the cello concerto, which while pleasant was definitely a bit meandering. I'm a fan.

In all honesty, that Rachmaninov-esque second movement didn't impress me much at first listen, it seems to wander in a lyrical ear-pleasing land without any direction. Of course I will save any judgement for when I have listened to the entire concerto.

As tannhauser points out, it's probably best to approach the second movement as a big extended development of the first movement rather than something new and fresh or whatever. I like this cyclical approach to form, and it's good to see someone like Shore utilizing it.

This seems like a more compelling and direct piece than the cello concerto, which while pleasant was definitely a bit meandering. I'm a fan.

In all honesty, that Rachmaninov-esque second movement didn't impress me much at first listen, it seems to wander in a lyrical ear-pleasing land without any direction. Of course I will save any judgement for when I have listened to the entire concerto.

As tannhauser points out, it's probably best to approach the second movement as a big extended development of the first movement rather than something new and fresh or whatever. I like this cyclical approach to form, and it's good to see someone like Shore utilizing it.

Oh, yeah, I'll definitely save my real judgement when I'll hear the whole piece. I'm also aware Shore wrote this concerto as a sort of love letter to Chopin, so I can understand what he's aiming at.

It's not like there's a ton of stuff to choose from, but the piano concerto and A Palace Upon The Ruins are my favorites of his concert music so far. Hope he continues to write (and record/release!), perhaps taking on some larger scale ensembles and forms too.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if his concert piece "Orbit" can be heard anywhere? I found the score in Schott's catalogue and I'm really intrigued. It's basically his aleatoric film work expanded into a whole concert suite.

Samples are up for Howard Shore's latest score - Spotlight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0170GBHK8/

Sounds like an excellent score from the previews. A lot of buzz happening by critics as to this film and even Shore highlighted in the upcoming Academy Awards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

TBH I had completely forgotten about it.  I've also never seen the original film or anything

Looking forward to the score!

It'll be certainly interesting to see what type of music Shore conjures up for this one.

There really isn't that many 2016 scores that I'm looking forward to

-The Monkey King 2

-Now You See Me 2

-The BFG

-Star Trek Beyond

-Pete's Dragon

-Rogue One

Maybe Doctor Strange if someone interesting gets the gig.

That's about it!

Maybe Through The Looking Glass too, I guess....

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Opposing ascending-descending themes and gamelan orchestra? ;) 

Karolg

Pete's drake will be a different beast that his golden cousin I am sure. Or so I hope. Kazoos and banjos is my expectation. And nothing as dull as The Last Mimzy.

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yodeling vocal solos?

Karol

I think it is high time for Shore and Charles Aznavour to combine their forces!

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The Last Mimzy is not so bad, just a bit... slow.

Karol

It is a bit bereft of spark and zest, that's all.

I've thought of Young as the obvious choice for a while now, but he'd have to do certain things I've never heard from him before for it to be a worthy score.  Certain things which, as it happens, this thread's namesake excels at....

Hard to put into words, it's just an aesthetic or atmospheric quality.  Young's music is very wrought and gothic and imposing, which works for one element of the Doctor Strange world, but there has to also be a lightness and mystic quality which I've never heard him do to my satisfaction.

The tone has always been pretty consistent, without any of the major shifts that, say, Batman went through.  Of course, I haven't kept up with these for many years so who knows what it's like now.