Pure Imagination - Analysis

Sharkissimo

Recently I've been studying one of my favourite movie songs, Pure Imagination from WILLY WONKA. It seems to be constructed from small chains of ii-V-Is - a common jazz cat thing, but here it's to modulate all around the place. There's also a lot of diminished substitution, that is regular secondary dominants being replaced by diminished chords. This is mentioned in The Songwriting Secrets Of The Beatles by Dominic Pedler.

Here's a delightfully sleazy/schmaltzy version sung by Newley himself.

Come with me you'll be

Em11       Asus9

ii11           Vsus9

In a world of pure imagination

DMaj7     Em7  Fdim  DMaj7/F#

I7         ii7      viio/iii     I7

Take a look and you'll see

Bm7   Em11                Asus9

vi7         ii11                 Vsus9

(Circle of fourths thing here)

Into your imagination

Ddim7      DMaj7

viio/iii          I7           

We'll begin with a spin

Em11       Asus9

ii11          Vsus9

Travelling in the world of my creation

DMaj7 Em7  Fdim  DMaj7/F#

I7         ii7     viio/iii    I7

What we'll see will defy...

Bm7        Em11      Asus9

vi7            ii11         V13

Explanation!

F#add9

V9/vii ?  

If you want to view paradise

GMaj7             F#m7   B7

IV7                    ii7/V7/ii    V7/ii

Simply look around and view it

Em9            A1sus9              DMaj9

ii11                 Vsus9                  I9

Anything you want to, do it

G#m7b5      C#7   F#m11->F#m7

iiø7/V7/iii          V7/iii   iii7

ii7/V7/II

Wanta change the world?

B7                          E9

V/II7                         II9

V9/V7 

There's  no-thing   to         it

A7   G/A   Eb7/A Em7/A

V7 ----------------------->

There is no life I know

To compare with pure imagination
Living there you'll be free

Same chords as previous verses

If you truly     wish     to    be

F#add9  C/A    A7  DMaj7

III9/vi    VII over V?   V7  I7

I think the progression is just what you've called it - circle of 4ths. Or you could say descending 5ths.

As for modulation, I would say the song remains in D major the whole way through but with a few substitute chords thrown in. That viio/iii to I7 might also be heard as planed major triads against the C#, so in jazz notation:

C#/D - Dmaj7

In that sense, you could say that the first chord is like an appoggiatura resolving to the Dmaj7. The F#add9 on "Explanation" could be taken as a chromatic substitute for the tonic Dmaj7. And it is itself planed into the next chord, something like the C#/D-Dmaj7 progression, though it doesn't sound like an appoggiatura here, rather more like a dominant of G. Approach chord, I think you said in one of your posts on the Island Fanfare from JP, which does the same thing but in B-flat major.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the progression is just what you've called it - circle of 4ths. Or you could say descending 5ths.
I looked this up the other day, and apparently it has got a cool technical term - interpolation or 'Back Cycling.' It's a really neat way of creating harmonic motion, yet sounding smooth and inevitable.http://www.jazzguitarlessons.net/jazz-chords-1.html
The F#add9 on "Explanation" could be taken as a chromatic substitute for the tonic Dmaj7. And it is itself planed into the next chord, something like the C#/D-Dmaj7 progression, though it doesn't sound like an appoggiatura here, rather more like a dominant of G. Approach chord, I think you said in one of your posts on the Island Fanfare from JP, which does the same thing but in B-flat major.
How about seeing it as a deceptive resolution of a secondary dominant? Our ear expects the the F#add9 to resolve to Bm, but instead resolves to a common tone chord - GMaj7.This use of diminished chords reminds of another Disney song- The Age of Not Believing from BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS. Along with Back Cycling, the Sherman brothers use a #iv diminished chord as a passing tone between subdominant and tonic in second inversion. You see this a lot in tin pan alley and English music hall standards (which both MARY POPPINS and BEDKNOBS are heavily influenced by).