Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

Is it possible that Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow has been hired by Lucasfilm to direct Star Wars: Episode 9? A new report claims Lucasfilm will bring Trevorrow to the stage in Hall H on Friday afternoon’s big San Diego Comic Con presentation to make the official announcement.

http://www.slashfilm.com/colin-trevorrow-star-wars-director/

Quite a rise to fame, if true.

He got the iconography of Jurassic Park and clearly audiences responded. It'll go on to become the third highest grossing film of all time, hard to argue with that.

Seems like Jurassic World is hitting that level of saturation where it gets backlash. Half the comments section on several sites reporting this are saying "No Trevorrow! JW sucked!"

Ugh.

How much you liked JW won't be a direct correlation to how much you like a Star Wars film he makes. These new Star Wars films are a machine with more input from Kennedy and other execs than some other movie he could direct instead.

Also, most directors learn from each film they make and improve on their next one, especially early in their careers like this.

I don't think fans got it yet. If Trevorrow could recapture some of that magic from JP in JW (let's face it, audiences flocked to JW in record numbers), imagine what he could do with a SW film.

Especially with Williams scoring.

JW was pretty over-the-top, sometimes bordering the nonsensical, though ultimately entertaining enough. But there is no magic in that movie. It owes its huge success to the franchise, not its own merits.

JW was pretty over-the-top, sometimes bordering the nonsensical, though ultimately entertaining enough. But there is no magic in that movie. It owes its huge success to the franchise, not its own merits.

And to the amount of marketing they did for the film. Good thing it paid off.

I agree. None of the sequels captured the awe that the first one had.

What I was trying to say was that JW managed to convey a sense of adventure and expanded on what Spielberg laid out in the first one. Nostalgia can only carry a film so far, and audiences responded to the film well. Word of mouth was great for JW, where most blockbusters open big but lose momentum the second weekend onward.

It was also heavily rumored that JJ had full intentions of coming back for 9 to finish this trilogy saga after he took a break and did other another project. So who knows what the hell is going on.

It was also heavily rumored that JJ had full intentions of coming back for 9 to finish this trilogy saga after he took a break and did other another project. So who knows what the hell is going on.

If the Force Awakens turns out to be good then I hope for this.

Find that hard to believe, there's only a 3.5 year turnaround from episode 7 to 9. For a control freak like J.J. that's nowhere near enough time to make two projects, especially considering he's taken 3 years just to make The Force Awakens.

Yes. Lucasfilm has already set the entire creative teams for 2016's Rogue One, 2017's Episode 8, and 2018's Han Solo. Within a year the creative team for 2019's Episode 9 will be in pre-production. JJ ain't starting and finishing an entire film within a year.

Oh they've obviously begun the writing process years ago, yea - along with whatever's coming out in 2020-2022, like maybe a Yoda spinoff, Kenobi, Boba Fett, Vader, etc etc

Sweet, maybe just like Jurassic World we'll see our heroine darting around in high [sci-fi] heels the whole movie!

I liked Claire...but I would have kicked those heels to the curb.

Not really referencin the clip above, but this film (namely in the beginning) has some of the worst use of JW's music I've seen in a while. Just didn't work at all.

I don't get all the hyperbole about the high heels thing. It's a movie, it's meant to be escapism. It suits her character arc perfectly and fits within the heightened constructs of Trevorrow's story.

I don't get all the hyperbole about the high heels thing. It's a movie, it's meant to be escapism. It suits her character arc perfectly and fits within the heightened constructs of Trevorrow's story.

You have a flaccid ice penis for an avatar.

You have a flaccid ice penis for an avatar.

Hyperbole!

• 4 weeks later...
Finally, Abrams made a firm reveal about whether he will return to the franchise with Episode IX, announcing: “No, I’m not going to direct Episode IX, as much as I am deeply envious of anyone who gets to work with this group of people on the future movies.”

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/470921-star-wars-the-force-awakens-photos