Sony Classical's Phantom Menace 3D soundtrack CD

Jay

Well.. If Jesse Harlin really is aware of us and on our side, an Official release doesn't really matter that much anymore..

I don't think he's specifically aware of us. I think the TOR game is so huge they needed to use as much of the recording sessions as possible and didn't have time to place crap overlays or weird edits in them . They just cut it in small pieces and used it directly

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been many opportunities to issue the complete scores, or at least expanded ones. Too many now. That Star Wars concert was probably the worst offendor. I'm really surprised they didn't issue some sort of music collection alongside those concerts.

Theoretically it is possible they were going to do them and this is what we got instead because of Williams.

See told ya I remember that thread, thanks for that link Ricard.

Yes back then I did like the TPM Ultimate Edition. It was Henry who actually "showed me the light", so to speak. He was the one who helped me realize how half-assed the "Ultimate Edition" was.

My bad that report was in 2003...but still.

heh i think almost all of us young and unexperienced enough at the release of the TPM UE liked it and were not aware of the atrocious works.

Once you get in here, you see the light.

There have been many opportunities to issue the complete scores, or at least expanded ones. Too many now. That Star Wars concert was probably the worst offendor. I'm really surprised they didn't issue some sort of music collection alongside those concerts.

Tru, but atleast we got this..

http://store.bandmerch.com/cgi-bin/liveweb/site.w?location=b2c/product.w&product=A58071E001&division=DV00118&category=&prb=&srb=&target=main&frames=no&sponsor=000027&result=&brands=no

We should face the fact that we won't get proper prequel soundtrack releases before both John Williams and George Lucas are dead.

I was going to say the same thing. Although I don't think it's Lucas that is stopping it from happening. It's Williams.

Yeah the crucial difference in treatment between Star Wars and LotR (to cite a properly issued score recorded in similar financial arrangements) is a director who supports a full release and a composer who wants their work out there.

We have two evils to overcome...

Y'know, I hope there is another Indy-themed game sometime down the line so we can get more of the unreleased Indy music, too. Perhaps one day after Williams has passed LLL or Intrada will be able to do complete, fully restored and perfect releases for SW & Indy. A little ironic that the man whose music we love so much is also preventing us from fully enjoying his works himself.

Sony will just wind up repeating what happened prior to the release of the UE. We have TPM complete anyways, and that's the difference between now and then.

Perhaps one day after Williams has passed LLL or Intrada will be able to do complete, fully restored and perfect releases for SW & Indy. A little ironic that the man whose music we love so much is also preventing us from fully enjoying his works himself.

For once and all: Williams DOES NOT PREVENT his scores from being released in complete form. We have A LOT OF HIS SCORES released in that very format. In the case of Indy and Star Wars, we have (almost) all the music for the original films available on CD, save for the Prequels and Indy IV of course. These scores are PROPERTY of Lucasfilm Ltd. and it's up to them to decide what to do with it. It's hot property and they ransom it to the highest bidder because it still sells in high figures (or at least more than the usual film score). Also, LFL prefers to defer directly to Williams' own engineers, editors and producers (Shawn Murphy, Ken Wannberg, Laurent Bouzereau) and these people have really high bills, hence why it's quite tricky to arrange a deal to put out complete score editions as the niche labels do. Considering this situation, we were VERY fortunate to have complete scores for the original trilogy back in 1997 and releases with significant unreleased material for the original three Indy films in 2008. Sure, they're not perfect nor definitive, but they're probably the closest thing to that we could hope for considering all the parties involved.

Lukas Kendall already explained this quite clearly a few years ago on the FSM boards (and it was also reported here), but it appears that people are blind or deaf, or maybe prefer to believe to their own absurd conspiracy theories.

Bedides, from what I understand, the complete scores are being released mostly because the labels are doing a restoration work for studios in exchange to what they can release so and so number of copies before the rights expire and come back to the studio.

Karol

Perhaps one day after Williams has passed LLL or Intrada will be able to do complete, fully restored and perfect releases for SW & Indy. A little ironic that the man whose music we love so much is also preventing us from fully enjoying his works himself.

For once and all: Williams DOES NOT PREVENT his scores from being released in complete form. We have A LOT OF HIS SCORES released in that very format. In the case of Indy and Star Wars, we have (almost) all the music for the original films available on CD, save for the Prequels and Indy IV of course. These scores are PROPERTY of Lucasfilm Ltd. and it's up to them to decide what to do with it. It's hot property and they ransom it to the highest bidder because it still sells in high figures (or at least more than the usual film score). Also, LFL prefers to defer directly to Williams' own engineers, editors and producers (Shawn Murphy, Ken Wannberg, Laurent Bouzereau) and these people have really high bills, hence why it's quite tricky to arrange a deal to put out complete score editions as the niche labels do. Considering this situation, we were VERY fortunate to have complete scores for the original trilogy back in 1997 and releases with significant unreleased material for the original three Indy films in 2008. Sure, they're not perfect nor definitive, but they're probably the closest thing to that we could hope for considering all the parties involved.

Lukas Kendall already explained this quite clearly a few years ago on the FSM boards (and it was also reported here), but it appears that people are blind or deaf, or maybe prefer to believe to their own absurd conspiracy theories.

In a nutshell, SONY is comprised of a bunch of tightwads.

Considering this situation, we were VERY fortunate to have complete scores for the original trilogy back in 1997 and releases with significant unreleased material for the original three Indy films in 2008. Sure, they're not perfect nor definitive, but they're probably the closest thing to that we could hope for considering all the parties involved.

Veto.

We are NOT furtunate to get the releases we've got, *especially* the messy Indiana Jones box.

We are, however, extremely unfortunate that the people involved are idiots.

Considering both Indiana Jones as well as Star Wars are amongst the most influtential film scores ever, it is not a privilege to have them available in complete form, it should be considered a service to the public.

Also, considering that the last attempts, and I use the word wisely, at presenting Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores in more complete form (namely the UE and the Indy box) were not exactly people pleasers, I say screw the Williams regulars and give it to people who actually give more than a sh*t about the music.

Not to mention the fact that the ESB & ROTJ SE remasters from '97 sound pretty awful all things considered (this fact is really annoying especially since ANH sounds so good). I am aware we have complete Williams' scores (I just mentioned this over at FFS), but why aren't more of Williams scores getting the expanded/complete treatment then? Williams may not be saying, "I don't want to do it" in those exact words. But he might be saying something like 'I don't care to', or 'I don't want to spend the time and effort' or maybe 'I don't feel it's necessary'. Every score costs money to re-master. Look at all of the Goldsmith scores we get every year.

And a lot of us have been saying this, but if it is the producers & engineer mixers that normally work with Williams that are responsible for preventing the releases and can't get it right, then Intrada or LLL should have a shot at doing them with one of their guys.

Yes I am grateful we have something over nothing at all. But we also could get something way more fulfilling and satisfying if the right people had their shot at the scores.

You all are using a film music fan/collector set of mind. Star Wars and Indy esulate from that kind of niche market mentality. As much as we hate to acknowledge it, this is the flat truth. These are BILLION dollars-value properties and everything related to them has to be treated as part of it, even soundtrack releases. We all became spoiled because the very fine people at FSM, Intrada, LLL and Varèse accustomed us to great deluxe treatment of many classic (and also many not-so-classic) film scores featuring complete archival presentations down to the tiniest and uninfluential cue. We now ask for something like that for every single score release, but it's easy to see this is something out of the realm of reality. Lucasfilm Ltd is probably aware of all this, but it appears they're not much interested in producing a (very costly) deluxe release aimed only to film music collectors. They want to sell their product to larger audiences and that's why they always tie such releases to some kind of big event (the 1997 SE 2-CD sets came out with the Special Edition release in theaters; the Indy boxset came out right after the release of Indy 4 in theaters; the new TPM CD release is coming along the 3D re-release and so forth), i.e. something that could attract more buyers to their related products. That's why I wrote we should consider ourselves lucky with the 1997 SE and the Indy boxset, because it's now easy for us to overlook how a big deal these are: the Original Trilogy scores were presented in their most complete form and the Indy scores were expanded much beyond what was initially planned. Hence, considering all these releases were NOT aimed at film music fans like us and were NOT produced with a FSM/Intrada/LLL-like archival mentality, in the end we have been quite fortunate with the contents, as we have most of the music now available. Sure, production values could have been a lot better in many cases, but it is what it is.

All the talk I usually read over here about Williams being picky about releasing expanded versions of his scores are totally pointless and, above all, completely uninformed. As we all know, he has preferences about how his music should be presented and released on disc (and we should add that he earned all the rights to think so), but it's not like he's sitting over his own masters saying "No!" to whoever wants to reissue something. He DOES NOT OWN his film recordings. These are property of the film STUDIO or the film COMPANY who produced/financed the films. But Williams has enough "starpower" to influence a company about loaning his recordings for a CD release and of course the film companies does not want to piss him off if he has preferences about a certain score to be released or not. In the case of SW and Indy, it's clear that LucasFilm does not want to do ANYTHING about a score re-release without Williams' stamp of approval on it (esp. after the TPM UE fiasco). These are the mutual agreements, I guess. In the case of the Prequels, Williams very likely feels the OST releases are just fine as they are and don't need any kind of expansions. He felt the same with Indy, but he was probably convinced by someone it was right to expand them more and he agreed.

Also, the bad reception of the ill-fated The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition was something that nailed the coffin more than it was necessary. LFL felt the backlash was unmotivated and they decided to avoid any kind of strong bad publicity because of such things (the story was published to major influential film websites like AICN and others, if you remember).

I've been saying they should hire a bunch of us to edit the albums.

That would be a good idea. If so, the complete releases would be just as the film score fans want it to be.

I've been saying they should hire a bunch of us to edit the albums.

That would be a good idea. If so, the complete releases would be just as the film score fans want it to be.

Not if Thor gets the job :lick:

I've just learned that the Phantom Menace OST re-issue will NOT simply be the original 17 track OST. That's right, it will feature a bonus track at the end!

Can anybody here POSSIBLY guess what it is??

The Duel of the Fates track with sound effects and dialogue

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!!

01 Star Wars Main Title and The Arrival at Naboo (2:55)

02 Duel Of The Fates (4:14)

03 Anakin's Theme (3:09)

04 Jar Jar's Introduction and The Swim To Otoh Gunga (5:07)

05 The Sith Spacecraft and The Droid Battle (2:37)

06 The Trip To The Naboo Temple and The Audience With Boss Nass (4:07)

07 The Arrival At Tatooine and The Flag Parade (4:04)

08 He Is The Chosen One (3:53)

09 Anakin Defeats Sebulba (4:24)

10 Passage Through The Planet Core (4:40)

11 Watto's Deal and Kids At Play (4:57)

12 Panaka And The Queen's Protectors (3:24)

13 Queen Amidala and The Naboo Palace (4:51)

14 The Droid Invasion and The Appearance of Darth Maul (5:14)

15 Qui-Gon's Noble End (3:47)

16 The High Council Meeting and Qui-Gon's Funeral (3:09)

17 Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits (9:37)

18 Duel of the Fates (Dialogue Version) (4:21)

No word yet on trading cards or collectible posters :P

Could that mean if Reissues of the AOTC and ROTS, we could get a bonus track with them as well? though I am not expecting much if I turn out to be correct, just On the conveyor and a version of BOTH with SFX and dialogue.

Could that mean if Reissues of the AOTC and ROTS, we could get a bonus track with them as well? though I am not expecting much if I turn out to be correct, just On the conveyor and a version of BOTH with SFX and dialogue.

I have no idea, but if I were to guess, the bonus track on AOTC would be Across The Stars (with Dialogue), and for ROTS it would be Battle Of The Heros (with Dialogue)

Someone get these titles to a label that will treat them properly. This is idiotic.

I can see the ads now: "The release nobody has been asking for! Now with a 'bonus track" nobody wants - timed to conicide with the 3d theatrical re-release nobody is excited about."

Someone get these titles to a label that will treat them properly. This is idiotic.

I can see the ads now: "The release nobody has been asking for! Now with a 'bonus track" nobody wants - timed to conicide with the 3d theatrical re-release nobody is excited about."

You forgot the bit about the bonus track being ripped off the isolated score nobody wanted either.