What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

You're saying The Sopranos wasn't bad at the time but that today it's somewhat dated when compared to new high standards. Well, I'm saying that maybe it's not for everyone. Whether you're a fan of cable shows or not, some people just don't click with The Sopranos. But to say that it can no longer hook people because of other high quality shows, or that it was only good because there was nothing else at the time is quite absurd, IMO. Even to this very day, The Sopranos and The Wire are widely considered to be the best shows ever made. Every ambitious newcomer gets measured against them.

Alex

I wouldn't call The Sopranos a '90s show since it ran much longer in the '00s than in the '90s.

Alex - shocked to learn that people can't wait for a John Carter sequel

5 hours ago, Jay said:

You'll probably never get "hooked" in the way that current A+ television can hook you. It stood out when it originally aired because it was so much better than almost everything else on concurrently. But since then (and partly because of it) so many good writers have moved to TV there's a new great show starting all the time. It doesn't compare with the best of those but it is good for what it is.

Well done, you get my gold star! 

The Hounds Of Baskerville

sherlcok_2102255b.jpg

Offers a nice change of scenery from the usual London based stories.

The Hounds Of Baskerville follows the source material closer then usual for Sherlock, though is completely different then the book anyway.

Rather then a ghost story this deals with government conspiracy, classified army bases and neurological drugs.

The direction, much like the previous episode is highly stylised. From the two noteworthy horror-scenes (Henry and the lights in his garden and John in the closed off lab), to the landscape scenes with time lapse photography, digital grading etc. Even the dialogue scenes have some directorial flourish to them. Note in the scene where Sherlock admits to John that he saw the hound that the perspective between Sherlock and John changes several times. And that in some shots Sherlock is out of focus and in others both he and John are in focus.

SH2.JPG

SH3.JPG

A nice touch that gives this scene a rather weird quality.

The Hounds Of Baskerville introduces the concept of the mind palace to the show. Which would be an important plot point in series 3 and the special.

While overall superb, the episodes climax is a bit underwhelming.

At that point the episode clearly states that there is no hound...and suddenly there is. But it's actually not very scary. (unusually poor CGI)

The sudden appearance of Moriarty (in Sherlock's deluded mind) is actually a bit confusing.

The episode actually end on Moriarty, in a cell for some reason, complete with SHERLOCK written over and over again on every wall, and released by Mycroft....

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Preemptive Strike

TNG does DS9. One of the last episodes of this great series and one of the best hours of Trek ever. Always been one of my favorites.

that will be one to miss.

We're watching the Making of a Murder. Jesus what a pile of garbage. This is the most purile, idiot "documentary/docudrama" I've ever seen. It's like Dateline crossbred with married with children. Dave is loving it. I am going to go watch Charlotte kick Arizona's ass.

Angie Tribeca 1x01 Pilot

Hilarious! Loved this throughout; It's like an Airplane!/Police Squad! type comedy with a great cast (Always loved Rashida Jones).  I like that they combined absurd comedy with actual investigative police work, kind of like Brooklyn 99.  The bit at the end where her new partner falls down the elevator shaft was hilarious but I wished they had taken it a step further; Her new partner should have been some really, really huge actor that it was like a surprise he was starring in a tv comedy, and then they should have killed him off and in the next episode she gets her real new partner.  LOST chicken out from doing that and now these guys did too.  Oh well.

Already looking forward to seeing the next episode!

On 1/24/2016 at 2:28 AM, Alexcremers said:

Even to this very day, The Sopranos and The Wire are widely considered to be the best shows ever made.

Admittedly, I haven't been as immediately reeled in by The Sopranos as I was with The Wire.  That one was instantaneous, and I couldn't binge fast enough.  However, not every show needs a viewing experience like that to be considered great.  I can tell even now only 4 episodes in that it's a keeper and of very high caliber, it's just not a show that I feel compelled to watch 5 episodes in a row.  That is not intended as a remark on its effectiveness or quality.

On 1/24/2016 at 1:27 PM, Stefancos said:

The Hounds Of Baskerville

One of my two least favorites.

4 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Admittedly, I haven't been as immediately reeled in by The Sopranos as I was with The Wire.  That one was instantaneous, and I couldn't binge fast enough.  However, not every show needs a viewing experience like that to be considered great.  I can tell even now only 4 episodes in that it's a keeper and of very high caliber, it's just not a show that I feel compelled to watch 5 episodes in a row.

It'll come, any moment now. The Sopranos is one of the very best, and it's an epic. The beginning of TVs golden age. 

21 hours ago, Quintus said:

It'll come, any moment now. The Sopranos is one of the very best, and it's an epic. The beginning of TVs golden age. 

TV's "golden age" began with The Twilight Zone and ended when Stargate Atlantis was axed.

I never miss an episode of the Sopranos or the Wire since both are constantly in playing on every other channel.

Treehouse Masters. Bizarre show but what an interesting process. Far more advanced than my tree house from yore.

Portlandia Season 1

Funny; I like it!  Not the hilarious laugh riot I was expecting (for whatever reason), but a different kind of more subtle humor that I grew to enjoy.  In fact, as the season went on each episode was better and funnier than the last (though the Sparkle Pony subplot in the final episode was a bit odd).  I appreciated the absurdist moments sprinkled throughout a lot.  I like all the recurring characters Fred and Carrie play and the slew of great guest actors throughout the season (Kyle MacLachlan, Selma Blair, Audrey Plaza, Steve Buscemi, Kumail Nanjiani, Heather Graham, Nick Kroll, Jason Sudekis).

Also I had never heard of or seen Carrie Brownstein before this show and she's incredible cute and quite funny as well!

3041496-poster-p-1-most-creative-people-carrie-nation.jpg (320×240)

I wanted to get into it because it seemed to be fashionable at the time, like I made myself do with Breaking Bad. However, I didn't find Portlandia funny, not making it through one episode. 

South Park. You got F'd in the A. 

Another look into Butter's unfortunate past.

Angie Tribeca 1x02 The Wedding Planner Did It

Just as funny as the pilot, I enjoy this show a lot!  Was kinda funny to see Adam Scott and Rashida Jones again, though oddly the role he was playing was different than his usual and didn't really play to his strengths.  Alfred Molina continues to be one of the best parts of the show.  James Franco was also good as Sgt Pepper.  I love that they find a way to have a (well done!) chase scene in every episode (so far)

The South Park episode about losing the state baseball championship to Denver aired tonight. Very well made parody of Rocky II and III, down to the music. Also neat seeing Coors Field after I've been there. 

After catching it on TV and quite liking it, I started watching Steven Universe and I'm absolutely adoring it. It's amazing how good television animation has gotten, particularly in terms of the animation itself. There was great stuff in the 90's, but most of it was outsourced and for the worst quality possible. Sure, sometimes you'd get a greatly animated episode on The Simpsons or Animaniacs, but it wasn't consistent. 

But back to the point, I'm really loving the style of the show, the designs, the backgrounds (!), the animation itself and particularly the characters. I'm absolutely in love with Pearl, but the three gems are great in their own way. Steven is very well done as well, he can be quite charming for what could have easily been just another annoying little kid.

There's something about the show that it's more deep than it seems. There was one particular episode where a kid on the verge of becoming a teenager realizes the things he loved as a kid don't produce the same feelings on him anymore, and how pointless the adult life seems. I love that they're taking their audience seriously, but they still have their fun of course. The swordfights are pure magic. 

I see a lot of the same old complaints of people saying cartoons back in the day were better, and sure, the classic Looney Tunes can't be topped, but with Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Adventure Time and others I'd say we're in a golden age of animated television.