Expanded Harry Potter albums in the works?

crocodile

If LLL (or another label) ever gets to do the Potters, if Williams nixes anything being included we can likely just fill it in from the session leak.

That's the shame with Hook - he nixed stuff like the Neverfeast Insert, which we don't have clean anywhere.

we have it on the Concorde boot, and it doesn't suffer the same distortion as the rest of the music fro some reason.Maybe those who made this boot had a clean source

Session leak?

Am I really out of the loop, or hasn't there not been any leak of any kind for POA? Which is the only one I really care about....

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, mstrox said:

LLL just retweeted a bunch of stuff about the new Harry Potter issue of Empire, and I refuse to believe that it’s because of anything besides an HP announcement.

I saw that on Twitter. Very interesting, to say the least. I wonder...

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

LLL just retweeted a bunch of stuff about the new Harry Potter issue of Empire, and I refuse to believe that it’s because of anything besides an HP announcement.

How active is La La Land when it comes to casually interactions in social media? 

I need to test whether labels like LLL will even ship to Australia anymore. Our new tax laws are so stringent now, even Amazon International refuses to ship here anymore. I inquired about this to the labels and MV just gave me some cheeky response. FFS, you guys have loyal customers down here!

My understanding is those new Australian import laws don't affect foreign companies with turnover under $75,000AUD into Australia. I'd be surprised if LLL had annual sales into Australia that high. I'm also not sure how the government could even track country-specific sales of foreign businesses.

So it should be business as usual. The government is really just targeting the huge international corporations like Amazon (because they're a threat to our retail sector and flogs like Harvey Norman donate millions to the government to invent laws that protect his business). It would be logistically impossible and outrageously expensive to chase up GST from every international seller shipping goods into Australia, which is the entire reason the threshold for import tax used to be $1,000.

Anyway, on the topic at hand, I wonder if said Empire issue might have a surprise announcement about Potter expansions, hence LLL promoting the upcoming issue? We can hope!

5 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I need to test whether labels like LLL will even ship to Australia anymore. Our new tax laws are so stringent now, even Amazon International refuses to ship here anymore. I inquired about this to the labels and MV just gave me some cheeky response. FFS, you guys have loyal customers down here!

LLL shipped Saving Private Ryan to me, the Amazon thing is because they want Australians to buy from Amazon AU. Fuckers.

Just now, Arpy said:

LLL shipped Saving Private Ryan to me, the Amazon thing is because they want Australians to buy from Amazon AU. Fuckers.

Well that too, but they are reacting to a crappy new tax law pushed by local zealous bricks and mortar dinosaurs.

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Well that too, but they are reacting to a crappy new tax law pushed by local zealous bricks and mortar dinosaurs.

I'd happily buy from Amazon AU, if they supplied the new titles. I was buying everything I could from US before they cut it off. Incredibles 2 luckily was shipped out to me right after the cut off date.

11 hours ago, mstrox said:

What? What issue? Can you provide a link, please?

Here is the post that La La Land Records re-tweeted:

The artist of that cover for the latest issue of Empire Magazine is Paul Shipper. His art style pays tribute to Drew Struzan. I did a little bit of digging to see if he was involved with La La Land Records in any way. You know what I found? Nothing. Then I saw that he worked on the cover for King Cohen; other then that, nothing. That makes LLL re-tweeting that post all the more interesting. I am not jumping to conclusions; I just find it VERY interesting that a cover celebrating Harry Potter, for which the musical foundation of that franchise is the Maestro, especially with him having done the first three films, would be shared by LLL.

"Curious. Very curious."

Then again, it may just be LLL throwing a bone to Paul Shipper. Who knows?

Paul Shipper did the poster art for King Cohen, which is of course a movie produced by Matt Verboys, with the Blu Ray & OST album released by LLL records.

King Cohen: The Wild World of Filmmaker Larry Cohen (2017)

The LLL twitter feed retweets tweets about other projects by their collaborators all the time.

Ah, yeah - if there’s a connection to Shipper, that makes a lot of sense.

Let the record show that I didn’t intend to bump a 3 year old thread with this, I originally posted it in the general LLL BS thread. ;)

I still wonder what our suspiciously withdrawn admin meant by saying:

On 7/20/2018 at 3:49 PM, Jay said:

Well, get ready, because there's another specialty label release coming out this year that does [film edits] too!

If he knows something about future specialty label releases, then it is probably a Williams score. And what other score except The Chamber of Secrets could possibly get recreated film edits?

Thing is, that comment was in the Mummy thread, which isn't LLL.

So either it's another Intrada release or LLL (and likely MM) decided to do it for one of their releases.

I'd be fine with a Potter 1 that recreates tracking, but that's just me. I only recall three instances - Diagon Alley, First night, and Halloween, and all of them work great - certainly the first two work better than JW's original cue.  I'm not sure if something was fiddled at the start of the Quidditch Match too.

Another cue that is purely tracked as far as I know is Petrified Longbottom, not too significant. The big, building Three Note Loop "concert piece" appears heavily truncated between the forest scene and Hagrid's flute playing. I don't think Quidditch had any fiddling apart from possible microedits.

I seem to remember something didn't match the Quidditch album track after they fly out, before the match starts. But that's one case where the album version is perfect.

Forgot about Petrified Longbottom. Not an overly memorable bit so I never bothered to find where it came from.

45 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd be fine with a Potter 1 that recreates tracking, but that's just me. I only recall three instances - Diagon Alley, First night, and Halloween, and all of them work great - certainly the first two work better than JW's original cue.  I'm not sure if something was fiddled at the start of the Quidditch Match too.

Are you crazy?! I couldn't be less fine if they recreated that dumb fucking tracking the way you described it! There is an original cue that must not simply be replaced by film edits!

[calming down]

No, what I meant and would consider acceptable is the recreation of the tracking in the second film using, music from the first score, in order to fill the narrative gaps.

45 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Thing is, that comment was in the Mummy thread, which isn't LLL.

So either it's another Intrada release or LLL (and likely MM) decided to do it for one of their releases.

What a silly conclusion.

That's more likely what would happen, yes.

And yes, there may be an original cue, but if said original cue is inferior or less suitable for the scene than the tracking, then I want the film version.I actually think it's a little fanboyish to think that the composer's original cue is the only way you should ever listen to it. Composers can get it wrong, or the director may have a brilliant idea. Diagon Alley and First Night work waaaayy better than the original cues.

If you remove all the looping in Diagon Alley, it indeed is superior. I'd call the original Lonely First Night outright bad - the horns and bells just don't harmonise in a good way.

Just watched the Quidditch match opening, there's just some looping and microediting going on there.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I still wonder what our suspiciously withdrawn admin meant by saying:

If he knows something about future specialty label releases, then it is probably a Williams score. And what other score except The Chamber of Secrets could possibly get recreated film edits?

Superman: The Movie? Schindler's List?

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

LLL is working on complete and chronological releases of the books!

Finally!

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

And yes, there may be an original cue, but if said original cue is inferior or less suitable for the scene than the tracking, then I want the film version.I actually think it's a little fanboyish to think that the composer's original cue is the only way you should ever listen to it. Composers can get it wrong, or the director may have a brilliant idea. Diagon Alley and First Night work waaaayy better than the original cues.

Has The Phantom Menace taught you nothing??

Maybe expanded, remastered and definitive releases of the Maestro's scores to the first three Harry Potter films will be out by the end of the year, or maybe it will be sometime next year.

Either way, "something wicked this way comes." 😉

Honestly, I am not gonna dwell on it until an official announcement is revealed.

I've seen on a lot of different forums posts from people in like 2006 saying "any day now we'll get a complete scores for the Star Wars prequels". Yet here we are, more than a decade later...

These things can take a long time to come to fruition, especially considering this involves 3 scores (and I somehow doubt they'll release them individually).

In an interview with Deutsch from 2012 he mentioned they were pushing Sony for a Titanic expansion, but Sony refused due to the costs. He then added they would work towards a 20th Anniversary release instead. Fast forward five years...

The benefit of Potter is all 3 scores were recorded in London, so there should be less paperwork regarding usage fees.