NEW Williams title coming from La-La Land Records June 16th 2015

Amer

Just an heads up from the La La Land team during the Tracksounds soundcast in which they won the label of the year award for 2013. They have 2 (John) Williams projects in line for 2014. First one is expected around spring (or summer) schedule and the 2nd one around Fall 2014. All subject to approvals but your guys can take your guess.

You can listen to the podcast here:

http://www.tracksounds.com/default.htm

Finger crossed for Empire of the Sun! I wouldn't mind complete release of JFK and Far and Away either. Nor would I spit at the general direction of any of Williams' Potter scores. :)

They are subject to approval by John Williams?

That is not so encouraging.

I guess then they will be some other non-complete, non-chronological soundtracks with album edits... :(

Screw expansions! Here's hoping for something completely unreleased!

A typical but expected childish comment, dear oh dear :rolleyes:

Expansions usually do contain 'something completely unreleased'.

I suppose it just depends on whether you're really interested in the actual 'music' of John Williams or prefer to mentally stroke and admire an ever expanding collection.

This isn't even anything to do with C+C or album presentation but simply having the chance to experience some more of his music, a dream for any real Williams fan I would expect.

I'm sure you wouldn't mind hearing some 'Story of a woman' cues even if outside the context of a standard album presentation, unreleased music is no different.

Album presentations, while fine as a nice snack hardly ever gives a decent overview of all the material composed for a given film, that's why unreleased music is important.

Finger crossed for Empire of the Sun! I wouldn't mind complete release of JFK and Far and Away either. Nor would I spit at the general direction of any of Williams' Potter scores. :)

I didn't know there was an unreleased music from JFK? I thought JW just wrote a few concert pieces, and let Oliver Stone edit those to fit the film?

I didn't know there was an unreleased music from JFK? I thought JW just wrote a few concert pieces, and let Oliver Stone edit those to fit the film?

yes, more or less it's this..

We don't lose anything significant from JFK.

There is some music missing from that particular score. There are those concertized pieces but there is also what I would surmise to be scene specific underscore. It just fits too well to be tracked material. But I'll grant you that there is not much of it, just a few shorter pieces here and there.

It's Hook, I'm telling ya! This time for real

what makes you think that?

Hook is released. it's the end.

I don't think we will have a new cd presentation ever again!

We might Mr. filmmusic, we might!

It's Hook, I'm telling ya! This time for real

what makes you think that?

Hook is released. it's the end.

I don't think we will have a new cd presentation ever again!

We might Mr. filmmusic, we might!

If something like that would happen, I think it would be after Mr. Williams "leaves" us...

Since the Hook score is a score that needs his approval, I don't think he could change his mind now, and we get a release that is REALLY complete and in chronological order without edits.

So, let's say that these are completely unreleased scores (not very likely), which ones would you prefer?

I'd prefer Storia di una donna (never gonna happen) and probably The Rare Breed (ok, we have a suite from this) or Gidget goes to Rome.

(If I had to pick a TV soundtrack, I'd pick a Kraft Suspense Theater collection)

So, let's say that these are completely unreleased scores (not very likely), which ones would you prefer?

I'd prefer Storia di una donna (never gonna happen) and probably The Rare Breed (ok, we have a suite from this) or Gidget goes to Rome.

(If I had to pick a TV soundtrack, I'd pick a Kraft Suspense Theater collection)

How about The Secret Ways? ;)

How about The Secret Ways? ;)

I have only listened to the Main Titles so far.

It's quite good, but I'd like to hear more before choosing this as an option.

The chances for those early unreleased Williams scores died with FSM.

Can we be absolutely certain of that? Or did FSM just cultivate so special relationships with the big studio partners that no one else has a chance to repeat that?

The chances for those early unreleased Williams scores died with FSM.

yes, i would agree with that!

Personally, I prefer to stay a BIT more optimistic. There are still labels out there who sometimes release archival scores of this kind, like Intrada and Varese. So my fingers are still crossed that we'll see another premiere release of an unreleased Williams score from the 60's -- whether film or tv.

If I had to choose a score which has had no previous release at all, I'd have to go with 'The Screaming Woman'.

From what I remember, some of the earlier cues in the film sound pretty violent and bloody amazing.

With Dracula out of the question, I basically want 2 major Williams scores on our holy grail list: HP3,TLW, SW prequels

Most other scores have only 1 or 2 unreleased highlight cues, like Empire of the Sun, which has a nice unreleased cue at the end of the film but that's about it

And at this point I don't care about the unreleased 60's stuff anymore.How many times have you listened to The Ghostbreaker?

If I had to choose a score which has had no previous release at all, I'd have to go with 'The Screaming Woman'.

From what I remember, some of the earlier cues in the film sound pretty violent and bloody amazing.

lol

Yeah, I'd love a legit release of THE SCREAMING WOMAN. It's not for the fainthearted, but there's some harsh modernistic writing in that which isn't far off from IMAGES territory.

How many times have you listened to The Ghostbreaker?

I'll be honest Mark, I actually love The Ghostbreaker :)

lol

Ha, absolutely! The music is amazing though, I love those rising and falling strings, reminds me of how an idea like that could eventually be developed into something like the 'Death Star corridor standoff' music.

Crazy film though ROTFLMAO

Yeah, I'd love a legit release of THE SCREAMING WOMAN. It's not for the fainthearted, but there's some harsh modernistic writing in that which isn't far off from IMAGES territory.

Yeah, they certainly share some very similar DNA.

I'd be happy with a mono release of this score if that's all that exists!

What about Jaws and/or Jaws 2?

Both in serious need of remastering and in the case of the later, expansion.

Yes and supposedly the masters for Jaws are in great condition. The music on the Blu-ray sounded excellent.

What about Close Encounters? Not sure if that could benefit from a remaster or expansion... or if it's even in La-La Land's territory.

What about Jaws and/or Jaws 2?

Both in serious need of remastering and in the case of the later, expansion.

Yes and supposedly the masters for Jaws are in great condition. The music on the Blu-ray sounded excellent.

What about Close Encounters? Not sure if that could benefit from a remaster or expansion... or if it's even in La-La Land's territory.

The collector's edition sounds pretty great to me. Lots of low end but and noticeable limiting. There's only two cues that haven't been released - the discovery of the ship in Gobi desert and the shaving cream scene.

For those scores which have lost master tapes, I would love a rerecording. Like STORIA DI UNA DONNA, for example. Or even the aforementioned THE SCREAMING WOMAN.

For me, it's never really been important if it's original tracks or rerecordings. I just want a good representation of the music out there.

I'm hoping for DRACULA. Heard him play parts of it live in 2009. Great score, in my opinion.

What other Williams scores haven't been released? Or, at least, released properly? THE REIVERS? Haven't heard much of that score.

I'm hoping for DRACULA. Heard him play parts of it live in 2009. Great score, in my opinion.

What other Williams scores haven't been released? Or, at least, released properly? THE REIVERS? Haven't heard much of that score.

I think it was reported recently that Dracula tapes were lost to the ages. They might do a re-release of the OST with improved sound though. Hope springs eternal.

Would prefer a re-recording though, for the unreleased bits.

Well that would be now the preferred option. I wonder if the musical materials have been conserved so that such a recording could be organized or are those also lost at this point.