A Guide to the JW & London SO Discography

Bespin

Here are the discography of JW & The London Symphony Orchestra.

Any missing entries?

Studio Albums
1977 Star Wars [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
1978 Superman: The Movie [Original Sound Track]
1978 The Fury [Original Soundtrack Recording]
1979 Dracula [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
1980 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back [The Original Soundtrack From The Motion Picture]
1981 Raiders Of The Lost Ark [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
1982 Monsignor [From The 20th Century Film]
1983 Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi [The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
1997 The Hollywood Sound
1997 The Five Sacred Trees
1999 Star Wars – Episode I: The Phantom Menace [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
2002 Star Wars – Episode II: Attack of the Clones [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
2002 The Fury (The original album recorded by the LSO + The previously unreleased original score)
2005 Star Wars – Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
Singles
1977 Star Wars. Cantina Band – Star Wars (Main Title) (Edit)
1978 Theme From Superman (Main Title) (Edit) – Theme From Superman (Main Title) (Edit)
1978 Theme From Superman (Main Title) (Edit) – Love Theme From Superman
1981 Raiders Of The Lost Ark. The Raiders March (La Marche des Aventuriers) – Raiders of the Lost Ark (Les Aventuriers de l'Arche Perdue) (France)
1983 Lapti Nek (Jabba's Palace Band) – Ewok Celebration
1983 Star Wars – Return of the Jedi. Lapti Nek (Jabba's Palace Band) (Club Mix) – Lapti Nek (Jabba's Palace Band) (Dub Mix)
1997 Star Wars – A New Hope. Main Title/Blockade Runner – Imperial Attack
1997 Star Wars – A New Hope: Figrin d'An & the Modal Nodes. Cantina Band – Cantina Band nΒ° 2
1997 Star Wars – Return of the Jedi: The Max Rebo Band. Jedi Rocks
1997 Star Wars Trilogy. The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)
1999 Star Wars – Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Duel of the Fates
2002 Star Wars – Episode II: Attack of the Clones. Across the Stars
2005 Star Wars – Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Battle of the Heroes – Battle of the Heroes (with Dialogues) – Star Wars Theme – Battle of the Heroes
2005 Star Wars – Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Battle of the Heroes
2005 Star Wars – Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Target Special Offer "Battle of the Heroes" download
Compilation / Reissue Albums
1993 Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology
1994 Superman: The Movie [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
1995 Raiders of the Lost Ark [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
1997 Star Wars: A New Hope [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] [special Edition]
1997 Star Wars: Return of the Jedi [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] [special Edition]
1997 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] [special Edition]
1999 John Williams Greatest Hits 1969–1999
2000 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] [The Ultimate Edition]
2000 Superman: The Movie [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]
2007 Star Wars – The Corellian Edition
2007 The Music of Star Wars: 30th Anniversary Collection
2009 John Williams x 2 (2-CD Set; The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration & The Hollywood Sound)
2010 The Music of America: John Williams
2013 The Fury [Expanded Original Motion Picture Score]
Collaborations and performances as Guest star
1998 Gershwin Fantasy (w Joshua Bell)
2006 The Essential Hollywood (Various artists, Compilation)
2008 Superman: The Music (John Williams, Alexander Courage, Ken Thorne and Ron Jones)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography

Your lists still follow an uncommon pattern, but thanks for making them :)

Just a couple of comments:

- As in the Superman single, the 1977 Star Wars single features an edited version of the Main Title.

- The Five Sacred Trees was indeed composed in 1993 (and premiered two years later) but it wasn't released until 1997.

- The original album of The Fury was re-released in 2002 (The Deluxe Edition) prior to the 2013 release (Limited Edition), both including the OST + the expanded original score. Also, you list the 2013 edition as "expanded original motion picture score", but only the OST was performed by the LSO.

And I assume that your list does not include LSO recordings of JW works not conducted by himself.

Fixed, many thanks!

Your lists still follow an uncommon pattern, but thanks for making them :)

Thanks! Fortune and glory! Fortune and glory... of John Williams, of course! ;)

Cinema Serenade 2: The Golden Age (w Itzhak Perlman) is performed by the Boston Pops.

You are right, little glitch in my lists!

• 1 month later...

The main attraction of this amazing, maybe underrated album, may be the Williams' Concerto for Bassoon, but the works of Hovhaness and Picker are true gems too.

Another must-have in your JW collection!

51hVmrBVUoL._SY300_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A session for Fiddler on the Roof was also recorded with the LSO. Williams spent a lot of time over in London during the filming too, you can catch a glimpse of him looking on during the filming in the documentary (Blu-ray and DVD) by the way.

I meant to say a big thanks for posting this. Like many from my generation, we grew up on the sound of the LSO and John Williams. I wrote a succinct history of JW's history with the LSO in 2013 for their Northern Ireland concert debut. Here's a link if you're interested: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153318219212229&set=a.400423677228.175552.812852228&type=1&theater

It was just one session according to the Fiddler on the Roof expanded liner notes by Didier C. Deutsch

I trust him as a reliable source and UK recording paperwork was never good back in those days.

I meant to say a big thanks for posting this. Like many from my generation, we grew up on the sound of the LSO and John Williams. I wrote a succinct history of JW's history with the LSO in 2013 for their Northern Ireland concert debut. Here's a link if you're interested: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153318219212229&set=a.400423677228.175552.812852228&type=1&theater

It was just one session according to the Fiddler on the Roof expanded liner notes by Didier C. Deutsch

I trust him as a reliable source and UK recording paperwork was never good back in those days.

It goes against the established doctorine!

John Williams first conducted the LSO for Star Wars. Any contrary statement is untrue!

"FOTR" should be there, along with "Jane Eyre", and the first three Harry Potter scores, which are the LSO in all but name.

Also, it misses-out the violin, and flute concerti, which were released in 1983, by Varese.

Please bring me proofs of true credits to the LSO on these abums and I will add them.

The violin and flute concerti where conducted by Slatkin, this is a thread of the LSO disco with JW.

The flute and violin concerti is DEFINITELY the LSO.. I'm working on the others!

Like I wrote earlier, this thread is not about Slatkin discography, it's about JW discography.

And albums recorded with members of the LSO, without specifically crediting the LSO, for a reason or another, are not albums recorded with the LSO.

I understand, but the album should not be overlooked, as it contains (I think) the only recorded version of the flute concerto.

When Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford, and Phil Collins record an album (which they have), in my mind it's Genesis in all but name. So it is with the HP stuff. As far as I am concerned, all of the first 3 HPs are the LSO, whether it says LSO, or not.

I understand, but the album should not be overlooked, as it contains (I think) the only recorded version of the flute concerto.

When Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford, and Phil Collins record an album (which they have), in my mind it's Genesis in all but name. So it is with the HP stuff. As far as I am concerned, all of the first 3 HPs are the LSO, whether it says LSO, or not.

If it's not written "Genesis" on an album, sorry but it's NOT a Genesis album.

Rigour rigour!

Listen, Sunshine, "Voyage Of The Acolyte" is more of a Genesis album than "The Cosmos Rocks" will ever be, and that even has two members of Queen on it!!!!!!

I'm not sure why some of HP scores are not LSO, but they certainly sound like the LSO, and that's good enough for me, so :P !!!

• 10 months later...
On 5/6/2015 at 0:00 PM, Richard said:

Listen, Sunshine, "Voyage Of The Acolyte" is more of a Genesis album than "The Cosmos Rocks" will ever be

Β 

Noted for purchase on Amazon later.Β