What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

fargo-image-season-2-recap-rhinoceros-ni

Fargo S2E06, Rhinoceros

I been keeping up with the new season, though I don't think I've posted anything about it here. It's great! It stays true to it's Coen-esque origins while embracing a whole new groove. One that is more playful, brimming with cheeky Reagan references to the era and with just a dash of the plain weird. The new cast is fantastic all around, with some gripping performances. This last episode really got the pieces moving. Wonderful stuff.

If I had to pick one disappointment, it would probably be the score. I still like it, and it remains just as cheeky as the show, but gone is that stellar tune from the first season. It's been replaced with some oddly Mahler-esque bits and fun improvisational percussion bits, likely to reflect the bustling spirit of the early Reagan era, but it's not memorable enough as a whole.

The-Leftovers-S2E7-Patti-and-Kevin--e144

Leftovers S2E07, A Most Powerful Adversary

This week, I couldn't help myself, so I caught up to season 2. It definitely has a more confident rhythm to it. It veers away a bit from the more heavy existentialism of the first season, but remains quite personal. We explore new cultural nuances of a new town, with new characters and a new mystery. There is more going on here plot-wise than the previous season, which plays to its benefit I believe. Both new and old cast members are in excellent form as well! There's a whole new spirit to this season, which has even replaced much of Richter's austere score with a variety of songs. It's a new flavour for a new season and I like it.

Oh, and as for this last episode's events...holy shit!!

The Leftovers S02E08 - International Assassin

Holy shit. Anyone else watch this one? This was all sorts of weird, wasn't it? Basically the most Lost-like episode of the series so far (disclaimer: I've never seen Lost...so this is a presumption), and yet it's not obnoxiously done. I'm sure this will be the series' most polarizing episode yet, and yet I found it quite remarkable. It's hypnotic in its Lynchian surrealism, but also surprisingly intimate in its final character study of Patti. Tying together most of the recurring motifs of this season (the bizarre Neanderthal opening, the bird from the box, Mary's miracle, etc etc), it's hard not to be impressed by the screenplay at work here. I suppose one thing it does rob the show of is the constant mystery when it comes to the series' central reason vs. faith debate, as it clearly depicts something beyond. But it still refuses to answer any of the big questions, leaving the show's integrity intact. Overall, an admirable penultimate episode!

That's not what I meant. Basically it takes those abstract tendencies (which I believe Lost is known for), but doesn't handle them obnoxiously!

As you say, I can't really speak for Lost, though what I've heard of its later season don't really sound up my alley.

Even with this episode, I can enjoy a single episode going into that territory. But I'm glad that The Leftovers, up till now, hasn't really been that kind of show. It tries to be more of a character piece than one about the "supernatural", and I hope it stays close to those roots.

So people tell me! And I tell myself I'll give it a chance. But something about starting another series of 6 20-episode seasons make me hesitate...maybe because hardly any show stays consistent quality-wise for that long, and that turns me off to starting it in the first place!

At least these HBO series are easier to chew on length-wise.

Anyone tried the new The Man in the High Castle series yet? Been hearing good things about it.

Lost certainly is not consistent. After a while, I gave up on it because of its forced sensationalism (and an overdose on brass stingers and clusters that ended almost every next scene) and I heard a lot of people were disappointed with how the show compromised itself during the last few seasons by providing answers to all the mystery, something Lindelof promised he will not do with The Leftovers.

BTW, I'm also very, very interested in The Man In The High Castle. I definitely looks promising but how is the writing?

Alex

I heard a lot of people were disappointed with how the show compromised itself during the last few seasons by providing answers to all the mystery

That's funny because whenever I heard people bitch, it was about not *enough* getting answered.

Watched Episode 1 last January. The whole set-up (The Third Reich has overtaken 60's pop culture USA) was crudely realized. Too much old Warner Brothers movie, too few surprises.

Lost certainly is not consistent. After a while, I gave up on it because of its forced sensationalism (and an overdose on brass stingers and clusters that ended almost every next scene) and I heard a lot of people were disappointed with how the show compromised itself during the last few seasons by providing answers to all the mystery, something Lindelof promised he will not do with The Leftovers.

Lost had a great start, but in general it's little more than a shitty first draft for a possibly good show.

So, as the serialized character writing in Doctor Who got really stupid/insipid, Game of Thrones turned out to be a trainwreck, and I never managed to get past the first episode of The Walking Dead, I felt that I was missing some nice serialized fantasy/adventure, so I made myself a list of show maybe I could watch, most of which turned out to be animated.

Yes, in Lost, the mystery prevailed, not the characters. The audience and the characters of the show were constantly waiting for answers. Lindelof said he always felt the pressure to come up with answers and that he now feels liberated because he can focus on the characters of The Leftovers (and the way they have to deal with their situation) and not the mystery. The Leftovers is essentially about damaged people and definitely aimed at a more mature audience.

Alex

I suppose one thing it does rob the show of is the constant mystery when it comes to the series' central reason vs. faith debate, as it clearly depicts something beyond. But it still refuses to answer any of the big questions, leaving the show's integrity intact. Overall, an admirable penultimate episode!

I thought it was a beautiful episode, once I digested it and understood how it is really just about two people, Kevin and Patti, trying to move one from past traumas, but I agree that I am troubled by how much they tipped the scales towards faith. That said, I think the show put just barely enough of a groundwork in to suggest that it could all have been Kevin's drug induced hallucination and that much of it was a creation of his subconscious that the show is likely to eschew the truth of the matter.

You're wrong, the polar bear was a lot earlier in the chain of no answers.

And they never explained who killed JFK either.

Lost would have been great if it didn't constantly rely on inconsequential gimmicks and pace-breaking filler back story's a lot of which weren't particularly interesting.

The idea and the way it was setup were brilliant, but not long after it became pretty clear to me we were being played.

I don't doubt it did and I caught a couple of them myself. But I just don't do deeply flawed TV outside of The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones; shows which for me at least never feel like a committee writing blind. Every part of Lost felt like they were making it up as they went, which I hate.

No Michael Gross, no deal. He kept the franchise alive.

Well he was in all of the subsequent films and the show, but that hardly constitutes keeping it alive. Everything was shit after 2. But I agree that his character would have to return, it just doesn't make sense to bring back Bacon and no one else. Michael Gross posted on his Facebook that he hasn't heard anything about it so I hope they aren't cutting him out.

I checked out Copper but it's too much an ordinary cop show only set in 'the age of innocence'. Won't continue with it. Next shows that I'll be checking out are Hannibal and House Of Cards. Wish me luck!

Alex

I absolutely love Tremors and have seen it countless times, but have never seen any of the sequels or had even heard of a previous TV series. Does that make me a bad person?

It is a cool flick, not relying on cheap scares, but a sort of creepy horror buddy movie hybrid which works on multiple levels. The practical effects are topnotch.

The Bridge (Bron/Bronn): After nine episodes and the final episode yet to come I have to say that the 3rd season of the original Danish/Swedish version of the detective show is a bit uneven but still immensely enjoyable. This time the whole plot is somewhat convoluted as Saga Noren from Malmö police is after another elusive serial killer who takes inspiration from modern art. Typically the disparate cast of characters presented in the opening episodes in linked to the main case in variable ways but the show in its typical style keeps you guessing with false alarms and red herrings up until the last minute. Acting is of its usual high calibre and Nordic noir spirit is alive and well with overcast skies, abandoned industrial warehouses, night time views of the glowing cities and darker side of life where black things happen in the night at the edge of town. The main characters go through some deep personal traumas during the investigation and this season is the darkest yet with Saga in a very sad, confused and grim state of mind, which on the other hand makes for good drama and on the other leads to some strange subplots, which I hope will bear fruit at the end. Can't wait for the final episode next Sunday!