The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Doug did a Doug's Corner for the first time in a while

5/6/2015
I was talking with Regina during lunch yesterday. She reminded me that I'm neglecting my blog here. She also mentioned how cool it was to be hearing all the news about the big prizefight that just happened and how even cooler it was that Rocky IV is a CD on our label. Like father, like daughter!
Admittedly, time for this little corner does come at a premium now. A long time ago in an office far far away I used to actually write here about favorite albums, break them down, shed light on what I loved about them, what have you. Now finding time to just play an old favorite is something equally long ago and far far away. And that's the truth. I stay so active here engineering and producing our new releases that finding time to even give a tease about stuff ahead eludes me. But I'm here at the moment so let me at least toss out a few crumbs.
Our two releases for next week are both massive 2-CD sets featuring scores by a pair of composers writing at the very top of their game. I honestly think it's one of the most exciting pair of releases we've brought to you in a long time. They come from those sweet 80's and 90's sweet spots. But never fear, all ye fans of the "ancient" 40's and 50's. You can look forward to several titles coming up in a series of previously unreleased - and genuinely classic - soundtracks by masters of that wonderful Golden Age. Some incredible music. Yep, that's us. We love remaining unpredictable. One moment we're all about some brand new score, a moment later we switch gears and do something from 20 or 30 years ago... and then, before you get comfortable, we're offering you music from like 70 years ago. How cool is that? And with our 30th Anniversary coming up in a few months, it's gonna get even busier for awhile.
Oh, and since I have so much free time on my hands, one other thing I'm up to at the moment: I'm writing another film score. It's for a horror/black comedy-type directed by Scott Birmingham, whom I worked with when I scored his film A Game Of Pool. Our mixer will be the Academy Award-winning Michael Semanick, who is famed in the sound world for having mixed such minor pictures as The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring, Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones, Toy Story 3, Gone Girl, The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies, well... you get the idea. Little things. Jeff brought me into this project being the fabulous actor that he is. In between filling customer orders here at Intrada, he also acts. Literally. He can often be seen here in the office portraying various favorite movie characters and quoting dialog and entertaining our accounting department - all while processing your orders and getting them out in the mail... usually on time even.
Anyway, next to the crew making this new movie, I'm just a ham 'n' egger... which is exactly how Rocky refers to himself prior to his very first bout with Apollo Creed way back when. And that, my few dear readers, brings us full circle. Sort of.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6661

????

????

I'd hear that rumour, during the long wait for the release (it must have been at least a year since I first heard that it was in the works). If the clues here really do refer to Return to Oz, then that rumour was obviously wrong, and I would be very happy about it. Which is what I've been saying.

I gave it a listen. It's very well composed, structured, performed and recorded. From the technical standpoint, among strongest works of Silvestri (that I know anyway). I still don't think this theme is terribly memorable but would be interested in hearing more of this score (never watched the film) to see it in proper chronological context.

Block War!

The theme... not super memorable, no, but nice enough. And considering I heard Silvestri's Captain America theme live in concert and couldn't remember it by the time the applause faded, I'd say Dredd's theme is fine.

Every cue from that album is memorable, even the one for the Angel family.

Give me Dredd's theme over Captain Rogers' any day. Those last 60(ish) seconds of 'New World', nuff said.... :yes:

Judge Dredd has no theme and isn't memorable? Are we listening to the same score?

Maybe you heard Dredd?

Just sounds like one of those action motifs Silvestri writes dozens of for his big wotks.

Karol

RETURN TO OZ CONFIRMED!!!! SO EXCITED!

http://creaturefeatures.com/shop/cds/return-to-oz/

The definitive edition of David Shire’s score to the beloved 1985 adventure RETURN TO OZ, hand-signed by the composer!

Intrada Records presents the complete, remastered score from RETURN TO OZ on a deluxe 2-CD set—full of breathtaking, never-before-released music (including alternate takes, bonus cues, and the original 1985 album presentation).

In-store signing coming in May. Pre-ordered CDs will begin shipping shortly after the event!

International orders ship via speedy and secure Priority Mail.

All orders subject to availability.

Can't wait to see the tracklist to see exactly what the alternates and other bonus bits are beyond the unreleased tracks. Very happy the original album is also present. It was a very nice and flowing version of the score.

Dude, this release is so important it should be posted in 2 threads (at the very least)

The awesomeness that is Judge Dredd should be talked about in as much topics as possible

The epic nature of Silvestri's score wouldn't have been as epic had it been only notified in...

OK, I'll shut up now and head on over to the real topic... :P

Intrada is doing some excellent work this year. And, in fact, they are now ahead of their competition. I bought several of their releases this year (about 10?). LLL used to be better but, so far, I bought exactly... 0 of their new releases this year. And only one each from other labels.

Karol

Marian, I see you import to Europe like me. You buy these at Intrada or Screen Archives? Do you have to pay import tax when ordering at Intrada (more than one)? From personal experience, one release would get through OK to Belgium, but I'm not sure if I buy more.

I've been ordering stuff in the UK all the time over the past 7 years or so. But got taxed only once, and it was, quite randomly, a single album.

Karol

It's the cost of the CD (sans shipping) that's the deciding factor. That's why I love it when SAE puts 12 $ on the box when in reality it's ten times that in the box.

I'd love to know if Intrada does this too.

Yup. Very crafty and obliging of them. Otherwise most of the stuff would have ended up in the customs here. :)

Marian, I see you import to Europe like me. You buy these at Intrada or Screen Archives? Do you have to pay import tax when ordering at Intrada (more than one)? From personal experience, one release would get through OK to Belgium, but I'm not sure if I buy more.

SAE, most of the time, because I usually add a few discs from their used section. There was a time when I had to pay taxes occasionally, after they stopped labelling their packages as gifts - they switched to listing each disc as $5 (I think), so the total sum is usually clearly beyond the tax limit. Still, I haven't been taxed for several years, so I guess it just depends on a bit of luck/how the tax office works.

Hopefully this means Jaws 2 is next

Hopefully. Though unfortunately they are more likely to skip to the original Jaws duu to Varese.

We need a Jaws franchise 8 CD set ala Varese!

But there are 19 movies...

Hehe...

Ok, I'll pretend not to know (but Lukas Kendall advertised this event more than anybody else by closing no less two threads on his forum)

Wow, something happened while I was asleep!

How did these pictures get out?

Anyone got a link to more info?

God I hope Jaws 2 and Jaws 1 are next!