Signature Piece of The Force Awakens?

crumbs

I don't like it either, it's as bland as they come

Yeah. If it hadn't been written for one of the best TV shows ever made (which it doesn't even accurately match the feel of) or gained such inexplicable popularity, I wouldn't really care but it was/did.

Wouldn't something that epic be more likely to come in Episode 9 than Episde 7? This is kinda like a "setting the stage" film.

His job is to write the most appropriate score to THIS film. He's not thinking of things like that.

Well, it's the only film JJ Abrams will direct, so I'm sure he'll want to make the most epic moments possible for THIS film

for now I see episode 7-9 as self contained films more or less, with minor plot points tyng them together. I don;t think there's an overarching story to this trilogy yet

His job is to write the most appropriate score to THIS film. He's not thinking of things like that.

You don't know what he's thinking.

for now I see episode 7-9 as self contained films more or less, with minor plot points tyng them together. I don;t think there's an overarching story to this trilogy yet

One of the EW Star Wars articles released last week pretty much confirmed that the plots of VIII and IX would be left up to the filmmakers working on those projects. But Kennedy also says that the overarching storyline has been vaguely outlined (by Abrams and Kasdan?). So it seem as if they know where they're going with the films, just not how to get there beyond TFA. And this approach is, of course, different from how Lucas went about creating the films after he - allegedly - had a "master plan" outlining everything before he even started.

I hope it's some god-like epic choir piece that rivals The Final Duel from RotJ

In terms of choir usage, I'm expecting/hoping for something more in line with the dementor finale (not to be confused with the serene "Patronus" music) of Prisoner of Azkaban. Not a singular theme that'll be played on MTV or anything.

I think he's gone about as big as he can go with it...I'd like him to move in other directions. I want it in the score, of course, but I might be disappointed if it's cranked up to 11 as often as it was in the prequels.

Agreed, same with the other big themes from the series like the Imperial March.

On the actual signature piece... (not really a spoiler, but I put the tags on it anyway because it's not "officially released" material)

I believe the phrase "

Immune to the Light" was trademarked by Disney a month or so ago. Could this be the title of a "signature piece" for TFA?

Does he, though? Who would you say was grossly mischaracterized by a Williams theme?

Irina Spalko, Mutt, Princess Leia.

I thought Irina Spalko's theme was the best thing about Kingdom of Crystal Skull. And I don't mean just the score.

I think he's gone about as big as he can go with it...I'd like him to move in other directions. I want it in the score, of course, but I might be disappointed if it's cranked up to 11 as often as it was in the prequels.

Agreed. I'd even be happy if it was used as sparingly as the TOS theme was in STID, as long as the occurrences were used well.

Definitely doesn't fit the character in the slightest, but that's more a fault of Spielberg's direction than Williams.

Williams got what the character was MEANT to be -- a pulpy, comic-book caricature. Spielberg played it far too serious; a dour non-entity. Blanchett looks utterly confused about what tone she's meant to be portraying the character, and I'm sure Koepp's mediocre script didn't help either party.

Anyway, the accordion rendition of Spalko's theme in the end credits suite is probably the score highlight. Sad, but true.

I thought the music seemed to reflect more what the character was intended to be rather than what showed up on screen.

Bingo.

I get there eventually ;)

Definitely doesn't fit the character in the slightest, but that's more a fault of Spielberg's direction than Williams.

Although I can watch it. For me this is Speilberg's only real miss in his entire career.

The main theme for TFA should embody the family love of the Skywalkers and how they overcome evil over the nine-part saga. The Star Wars theme on its own failed to portray that important thematic aspect.

Yeah, but with KOTCS you at least had the great themes carried over from the original to go with the not very good new ones ;)

(I am just messing with you know, tho I don't really like Tintin much...yet)

They're both mediocre by Williams standards. Autopilot scores and in the case of ROTLA, flat-out boring.

Fixed.

Joking, though I do prefer to listen to KOTCS at this point (probably more due to overlistening to ROTLA than to the quality of KOTCS though)

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/john-williams-will-score-e7.50011867/page-64

A reliable poster at the The Force.net gave out an interesting tidbit. Can anyone here confirm or unconfirm this?

"My parents went to see the Boston Pops perform the cinematic music of John Williams the other night and although Williams himself wasn't conducting (Keith Lockhart was), he sent a note saying he's very busy working on the new score and hopes to start in on VII and IX soon. The orchestra then premiered about 30 seconds of the new score. My dad said it was fantastic."

From a different forum, person is reliable...not one to make crap up.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/john-williams-will-score-e7.50011867/page-64

A reliable poster at the The Force.net gave out an interesting tidbit. Can anyone here confirm or unconfirm this?

"My parents went to see the Boston Pops perform the cinematic music of John Williams the other night and although Williams himself wasn't conducting (Keith Lockhart was), he sent a note saying he's very busy working on the new score and hopes to start in on VII and IX soon. The orchestra then premiered about 30 seconds of the new score. My dad said it was fantastic."

From a different forum, person is reliable...not one to make crap up.

Lies. I was there and that's completely untrue.

LOL

How embarrassing....