Upcoming Soundtracks

MattyO

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And let the unbridled hate for this score begin...

why do you say this? there are very good parts in it.. but you have to admit that these two 30 secs samples sound nothing special

Does A&D feature the same main character portrayed by Tom Hanks that he played in DVC? So wouldn't it be as appropriate then as, say, Williams re-using themes for the Indiana Jones franchise, or Barry re-using themes for the James Bond franchise? You've got unrelated stories operating within the same fictional universe, so it's not too big a stretch.

I would say that using a theme for Robert Langdon (if there indeed is one) in the sequel would be totally logical. The little that can be judged from those short clips is that he also uses sections of the previous score that have to do with Teabing telling the story of Magdalene and he repeates the rip-off/homage to Theme of Thomas Tallis which while it is liturgical music makes an odd choice of musical continuity as the stories have none.

And I am not trying to bash the score just pointing out some negative aspects from my point of view.

I actually like some parts of the Da Vinci Code score and the sequel seems to have a bit too much bass heavy synth stuff to my liking but we will see.

No, no, that's the same observation I made. These are only thirty second clips after all. I just hope this score isn't judged too harshly before it is even released, as tends to be the case with Zimmer's scores. Gee, I'm sounding like such a Zimmer fan!

Damn, I was waiting for this score with anticipation, but what I hear doesn't appeal to me in any way. Okay, these are only the samples, but they show what the score will be like in general. Terrible...

I like 160 BMP (despite it's Rock'ish feel) and Science and Religion. Black Smoke has some interesting bits too.

So it seems A&D score is a variation on the DVC. Why didn't they use immidiate music from the library and add some drum loops to the cues from the previous film? I would have been cheaper and pretty much the same. As they stand, the clips (the action material in particular) sound like something you'd find in a theatrical trailer. With a violin on top. And did I mention I HATE generic trailer music?

Karol - who doesn't care for this anymore.

by the way... has the new theme (or one of the new themes) from the new Trek movie been discussed here?

it sounds more than cheap...

I didn't really liked it either, but I strongly believe the whole score will be more than just ok.

So it seems A&D score is a variation on the DVC. Why didn't they use immidiate music from the library and add some drum loops to the cues from the previous film? I would have been cheaper and pretty much the same. As they stand, the clips (the action material in particular) sound like something you'd find in a theatrical trailer. With a violin on top. And did I mention I HATE generic trailer music?

You do realize this score isn't 100% synth?

You are also forgetting that each track is like 6-7 minutes long. These are 30 second samples. One of them is 12 minutes, I forget which.

You do realize this score isn't 100% synth?

You are also forgetting that each track is like 6-7 minutes long. These are 30 second samples. One of them is 12 minutes, I forget which.

Do you really believe they took the worst parts of the score and turned them into the samples, while the rest 5-6 minutes of each track is a real bliss?

It's like the sample for "Why So Serious?" It's not the Joker's Theme over and over for 6 minutes, it changes, varies. Honestly I wasn't too excited with what I heard. I heard "The Citrine Cross" in there, and a lot of Langdon's Theme, but I'm positive there is newer material in those long tracks, especially the 12 minute one.

It's like the sample for "Why So Serious?" It's not the Joker's Theme over and over for 6 minutes, it changes, varies. Honestly I wasn't too excited with what I heard. I heard "The Citrine Cross" in there, and a lot of Langdon's Theme, but I'm positive there is newer material in those long tracks, especially the 12 minute one.

Actually, I really hoped Why so serious was going to develop this 2-note motif into something interesting, but it didn't. None of the TDK tracks, which I found disappointing after listening to a sample, improved enough for me after listening to the full version. On the other hand, both PotC AWE and DVC sounded really promising after the samples and eventually didn't fell short.

If you are familiar enough with a composer you can get a good idea of what and where a score is going by listening to clips.

If you are familiar enough with a composer you can get a good idea of what and where a score is going by listening to clips.

Yep. Whenever I am wrong, it's usually that the samples sound promising, but the score happens to be boring. Rarely it's the other way around.

I actually like some parts of the Da Vinci Code score and the sequel seems to have a bit too much bass heavy synth stuff to my liking but we will see.

It's a prequel, actually (unless they changed the order of events for the script). The DVC score has some cool bits, so I'm looking forward to hearing this (when I see the film).

In the universe created with The Da Vinci Code film, Angels & Demons now takes place after the first film, so it is a sequel. I think either way it doesn't make any difference.

********************************************************************************

NEW BSX RECORDS COMING THIS TUESDAY (04/21/2009)

We invite you to drop by the site between 11:00am and 12:00pm this Tuesday, We'll be posting our newest titles.

The first CD is the first complete release of this horror score

from the 1970's that has a bit of a bite too it.......

The first hundred copies will be autographed by the composer.

The other release is from a Recent TV project that the composer asked us to dig up for him...

The first hundred copies will be autographed by the composer.

Let the Guessing Begin!

********************************************************************************

(From the FSM Messageboard)

Any chance the 1970s complete horror score with bite is Dracula? Or is that too high profile for BSX?

They've done a few of what I would call hi-profile releases.

But snce it's not John Williams most people here don't care.

Lifeforce - Henry Mancini

They've also done a few John Carpenter scores that have been highly requested by the film score community, they were responsible for the re-issue of the first two MOH scores.

The first two MOH scores are easily attainable on CD. Frontline on the other hand, is still a whopping $60+ It's the only one I don't own on CD. I ordered the first one from BSX through Amazon and they gave me Underground free with it. I remember when they used to sell Frontline on their site for $20. Don't know why I let that one go.

And the threads they post here aren't spam, just advertising. No different than Mark O. posting a thread about a new Intrada release.

Wow I didn't know Up was coming out so early, the film I mean: May 29. The score should be out on the 26th then. Good month for Giacchino fans. Then Land Of The Lost should be out on June 2nd. So 4 Giacchino scores within 1 month. Kick ass.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. So we have:

Star Trek on May 5th

Lost Season 4 on May 12th

Land of the Lost on June 6th

And no word on UP yet, right?

That's ridiculous.

Indeed it is ridiculous. Giacchino won't ever be as great as David Arnold. Giacchino won't compose a score as vast and great as Stargate, Independence Day and even Godzilla.

Wouldn't go that far Trent...

Besides, talent can only be shown with the right material and a request for the right approach. And, I wouldn't want Arnold for a Pixar picture.

Not as excited as some are, but I do like Star Trek (like, not love though) and Lost could be good, depending on how they've chosen material.

I think he's certainly showing the promise, but he's got a little way to go yet.

He certainly has the most potential out of all the newbies. They still make me wish for the rise of Zombie Goldsmith, though.

Indeed it is ridiculous. Arnold won't ever be as great as Michael Giacchino. Arnold won't compose a score as vast and great as Medal Of Honor (all of them), Ratatouille, The Incredibles, Star Trek, Lost, and even The Family Stone.

I agree. :P