Williams orchestrating The Force Awakens himself?

mstrox

JW orchestrating this himself is final proof for those naysayers who believe that his concert works are somehow more important to him then his film stuff.

this

I believe this story. For one, Williams sketches are already so detailed, all the orchestrator was really doing was copying it out to the different format. It of course made sense to hire orchestators to do this for most movies, to free up Williams time to keep writing during a movie's tight deadlines.

But for this score Williams started a year before the film's release date, and he even turned down a Spielberg movie to solely work on this. He has the time, so why not do everything himself to make sure everything is exactly the way he wants it.

I think he feels like the Star Wars Saga will be his biggest legacy, and also is very excited about this particular movie.

Which makes me excited!

That's indeed exciting if it's true. I would love to see those scores. His sketches are great, especially ESB, but a bit hard to decipher. As some have mentioned, his sketches are so complete anyway. But if he his doing the full score himself it makes it very significant.

Sigh.

It was farce. It was a totally farcical post.

Having to explain that makes it less funny.

Okay, my bad for not recognizing a joke. That being said, the joke lacked any humorous content--hence my confusion.

Jokes have to be funny now? Jeez, standards continue to sink.

It was an obvious caricature of the tendency of some here to overreact to information and draw ridiculous conclusions. Farce need not make you laugh.

I hope this move will expose Williams for the hack he is. I've studied his sketches, and they're indecipherable, with staves going in all directions. It's like a cross between Jack Torrance's scrawling in THE SHINING and some far out graph notation from the 70s. George Crumb on 'ludes.

Without the talents of a small army of orchestrators, Johnnyboy here would be a laughing stock.

A Williams sketch:

stock-vector-seamless-vector-wallpaper-m

This score will suck. Mark my words.

PS. Conrad Pope is an Illuminati stooge bankrolled by the Rothchilds and with ties to the Freemasons--take his words with a grain of salt.

I hope this move will expose Williams for the hack he is. I've studied his sketches, and they're indecipherable, with staves going in all directions. It's like a cross between Jack Torrance's scrawling in THE SHINING and some far out graph notation from the 70s. George Crumb on 'ludes.

Without the talents of a small army of orchestrators, Johnnyboy here would be a laughing stock.

A Williams sketch:

stock-vector-seamless-vector-wallpaper-m

This score will suck. Mark my words.

PS. Conrad Pope is an Illuminati stooge bankrolled by the Rothchilds and with ties to the Freemasons--take his words with a grain of salt.

Finally, a post that makes sense...NOT! Luckilly I know Sharky is smarter than this post so this is probably irony. What is the big deal about JW orchestrating his own music? He pretty much always did without getting credit for it.

I just really question whether or not he has the chops to do it, like Shore or Morricone do.

Really lots of humor on this board.

That being said, JW's first work was as an arranger, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing. But then again maybe not. We've been fooled for all those years. He actually never wrote a note.

Luckilly I know Sharky is smarter than this post

WRONG!

Hmm...this doesn't sound like Sharky. I take it Stefan hacked into your account again?

He doesn't really need a piano to compose anymore - I think he once mentioned in an interview that, as he has perfect pitch, he only uses his piano for reference, for demonstrating his music or for playing music he didn't compose himself.

This is a quote from a 1991 interview:

post-70-0-62467100-1428160086.png

I think he used this method since the early days and it's the same he uses now. He's also one of the very few composers in the world still doing it this way, i.e. pencil, paper and piano.

attachicon.gifjwquote.png

Significant that he mentions that he writes at the piano more "than any composition teacher would tell you is a good idea." This is certainly true, that composition teachers have a bias against writing at the piano, that music should somehow come from "within".

But the thing about Williams (which, with his typical modesty, he doesn't give himself any credit for here) is that, coming from a background as a jazz pianist, improvisation - that is, varying an established musical idea - is such a musician's modus operandi, and it is meant to lead to new ideas, not to stifle the creativity.

All this is to say that I wish more composers would work this way nowadays. The ideas would be so much more varied and unpredictable.

attachicon.gifjwquote.png

Significant that he mentions that he writes at the piano more "than any composition teacher would tell you is a good idea." This is certainly true, that composition teachers have a bias against writing at the piano, that music should somehow come from "within".

But the thing about Williams (which, with his typical modesty, he doesn't give himself any credit for here) is that, coming from a background as a jazz pianist, improvisation - that is, varying an established musical idea - is such a musician's modus operandi, and it is meant to lead to new ideas, not to stifle the creativity.

All this is to say that I wish more composers would work this way nowadays. The ideas would be so much more varied and unpredictable.

I don't believe he has perfect pitch. His 1980 interview he said he has good relative pitch and haven't seen any interview where he said he has perfect pitch plus that just doesn't sound like the modest man we know him to be to claim anything of his is "perfect". He loves the piano...it is not an obstacle to his creative process but a conduit.

You can generally tell when he's written something relying on the piano or not. You can tell that with most composers, really.

Like Conversations?

You can generally tell when he's written something relying on the piano or not. You can tell that with most composers, really.

Examples and reasoning? Genuinely curious as I wouldn't know where to begin with that.

Dammit . . . Sharky beat me to it. I was going to post this as his original sketch for "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" that Spencer had to decipher:

PDQ-ThriftNotes-65.jpg

I've also been thinking about his reasons for doing this. It may not be health-related, per se, but it may have something to do with age and understanding that there remain a limited number opportunites going forward for him to do this. Over forty years and scores of scores, using an orchestrator was probably no big deal. But if he's being realistic (and no doubt he is), this is one of the few times he has left to keep all the music in his own hands from beginning to end. If this is the case, I can easily imagine he wants to savor the full experience for as long as he can.

Of course, this may have nothing to do with it. Just speculating on his behalf.