Giacchino -NOT- "working alongside" Williams on Star Wars 7 score

Jay

Why would Gia be orchestrating? JW has his own people.

Sure, but maybe there's need for an additional hand, or he will be involved in view of the possibility of composing the scores for the next movies if they will be done far in the future... or maybe he will conduct in case it would be too tiring for JW... This being said, I will stop speculating on an unconfirmed rumor!

Jesus some people really need to calm the fuck down.

Not sure why people are treating this as official news...

Both points are quoted for truth.

Nothing confirmed by Disney, and from a site that has been known to fake things before. Nothing to see here, people, move along.

I really wish Giacchino would do Star Wars himself alone, and Williams did something else. Something new!

After all, we already have 12 hours of Williams Star Wars music!

Wanting so ardently 2 more hours to make it 14 (and prefering it than 2 hours of music in a new genre or style), doesn't make any sense..

(I'm sure I'm in the minority that hopes this)

Well it might have to do with how its more challenging to conduct on stage, in sync with the film than it is to conduct in concert. I know Danny Elfman doesn't conduct his work during the sessions but I think has done so in some of his concerts.

You know....assuming this is true, instead of seeing this as an opportunity to have a good composer learn from the master, everyone is flipping their shit.

When John goes, he is gone, and everything he had learned goes with him. Given the choice of having some of that knowledge pass on to my generation of musicians, or not...I want this news to be true.

But you guys can't see beyond your own noses. Others of you are stuck in the past like a Dickensian character. What a shame.

Now, cue someone who will go on about how Giacchino is not worthy, and how it should actually be him to work with John Williams, because he owns every John Williams score. But if you are a true John Williams fan, and John Williams has deemed Giacchino worthy of working with him, surely he sees something you don't. And surely he is a better judge than you.

This forum needs to get its head out of its ass and realize itself for the bunch of pretentious fan boys who think they know better than the maestro what needs to be done!

Yea, I don't see how anybody could be upset by this once they think clearly. I mean first of all, I doubt it's true, I think the AICN guy was mistaken. But even if it's true, we KNOW that Williams is scoring the film - it was announced by Lucasfilm. There is no "co-composing" going on here. If Gia really is "working alongside" Williams, surely it's in a teacher/student capacity way more than a "co-composer with me!" category. I mean, think clearly people.

You know....assuming this is true, instead of seeing this as an opportunity to have a good composer learn from the master, everyone is flipping their shit.

When John goes, he is gone, and everything he had learned goes with him. Given the choice of having some of that knowledge pass on to my generation of musicians, or not...I want this news to be true.

But you guys can't see beyond your own noses. Others of you are stuck in the past like a Dickensian character. What a shame.

Now, cue someone who will go on about how Giacchino is not worthy, and how it should actually be him to work with John Williams, because he owns every John Williams score. But if you are a true John Williams fan, and John Williams has deemed Giacchino worthy of working with him, surely he sees something you don't. And surely he is a better judge than you.

This news isn't true and I'm not sure why so many people think it is.. especially considering the source. Disney/Lucasfilm has never mentioned Giacchino being a part of Episode VII. People originally assumed he was simply because Abrams was directing, but that was put to rest when Williams was confirmed last year. Even before Williams was confirmed, Giacchino said himself he wanted Williams to score the film. And Williams wasn't forced to score the film, he wanted to! He also expressed interest in future Indiana Jones films. Not sure why this random article is overriding official announcements with some people... I guess it's something to talk about until the new round of legitimate announcements.

I'm actually Michael Giacchino. Sorry I've kept it hidden for this long. Look, I grant that my only good work is the score to Space Mountain at Disneyland and The Lost World: Jurassic Park video game for the Sega Saturn.

The truth is, I'm composing the score for Episode VII, although John Williams has composed new themes for me to use. Still not sure whether or not I will. He sent me some packages in the mail with music to record, but my wife accidentally put it out with the garbage.

Were you expecting a slow clap for this speech? Sod off!

This post has not been forgotten: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22882&p=885240 !

Were you expecting a slow clap for this speech? Sod off!

This post has not been forgotten: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22882&p=885240 !

Both are great posts. And they tie in together beautifully. If this news is true my hero is helping pass on his craft to a new generation, as I originally wanted. So piss off you second rate guest!

Giacchino can't be taught emotional artistry from the Maestro, as much as Blume likes to kid himself it's possible. He's daydreaming. No amount of competence and even expertise in the craft can make up for a relative lack of talent.

Giacchino can't be taught emotional artistry from the Maestro, as much as Blume likes to kid himself it's possible. He's daydreaming. No amount of competence and even expertise in the craft can make up for a relative lack of talent.

Nature can be overcome, it just takes more time and guidance.

I can say this, Giacchino with Williams mentorship would be better than Giacchino. And anything that helps improves the state of film music, I'm behind.

I see what you're saying, but I just believe we're gonna have to wait it out for a couple of young musical prodigies to come of age in our lifetime before we see a return to special film music again. In the meantime Gia and Desplat can continue to toil in the enormous void, there's no harm in it.

I see what you're saying, but I just believe we're gonna have to wait it out for a couple of young musical prodigies to come of age in our lifetime before we see a return to special film music again. In the meantime Gia and Desplat can continue to toil in the enormous void, there's no harm in it.

My worry is that we won't see that again in our lifetimes. I mean we already had John and Jerry within our lifetimes, how much luckier can we get?

That said, I've been impressed over and over again with our very own Marcus Paus. But I think he's still breaking through the regional barriers. Nor does he seem particularly interested in joining the world of film music (which...if you look at it, can't blame him). But he's young...who knows!

Denied via twitter:

Jason Ward ‏@MakingStarWars 17h
Hi, @m_giacchino is there any accuracy to the AICN rumor you're assisting John Williams in scoring Star Wars VII?

Michael Giacchino ‏@m_giacchino 13m
@MakingStarWars - nope - JW surely doesn't need help from me / he's done this before and it will be brilliant as always.

Wow that was hard to read the way you did it.

BTW, here's a helpful tip: You can direct link right to someone's tweet. Just click on the (in this case) "13m", and you will be brought to an URL just for the tweet. Like this:

https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/466603039701622784

Wow that was hard to read the way you did it. BTW, you can direct link right to someone's tweet. Just click on the (in this case) "13m", and you will be brought to an URL just for the tweet. Like this:

https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/466603039701622784

Ungrateful. :crymore:

Nah, get what you're saying. I'll do that in future. I edited my post so it should be a little clearer now.