The Force Awakens begins recording at Sony in LA today

thx99

So they have the score locally?

It's being recorded at Sony in LA, why wouldn't the score be in LA as well?

I am expecting to see digital note stands soon enough. And all kinds of trouble when the technology fails and they end up with crashing programmes, trouble with the touch pad tech and all.

I am expecting to see digital note stands soon enough. And all kinds of trouble when the technology fails and they end up with crashing programmes, trouble with the touch pad tech and all.

I saw someone doing this the other day. iPad trombonist.

Does the program auto-detect when the page needs to be turned?

I saw someone doing this the other day. iPad trombonist.

Some sort of foot pedal system for page turning should be installed for these gadgets.

It's not that interesting; They use shorthand like that all the time in recording sessions. There's really no difference in being exactly correct with titles or not.

I am assuming he forgot to type if they're in between difference and exactly?, so:

There's really no difference if they're being exactly correct with titles or not.

Am I right Jay?

(Though that still doesn't make too much sense)

At the recording sessions, there's really no difference if the sheet music says "Matrix 2" or "Matrix Reloaded"; If it says "Furious 7" or "Fast and Furious 7"; or if it says "Star Wars 7", "Star Wars Episode VII" or "Star Wars: The Force Awakens". They don't bother to be exactly grammatically correct, they are just there to record music.

The parts were stolen actually, along with all of Williams' sketches and the conductor's score. Recording is delayed until they're found again.

UPDATE: Word is that Williams himself has been kidnapped. A ransom note has been sent to his estate, which has been traced back to the residence of a W. Ross. Authorities are converging on the scene.

I dunno, you seemed to say the sheets shoud be in LA and that's not where they are

What? Justin said that they are up the street from where he lives. He lives in LA. The score is recorded in LA.

I don't understand why you thought otherwise?

UPDATE #2: A second suspect, one Justin White, is thought to be working with W. Ross in this kidnapping. He is known to be an avid Disney fan, and is considered armed and very dangerous.

Looks like William Ross is conducting...

Today I was stoked when I spoke to a friend involved with recording Star Wars Force Awakens with John Williams this week over at Sony scoring stage. I’m told he’s a brilliant musician and conductor to work with, though Bill Ross (aka William Ross) was doing the majority of the conducting. Which is no surprise, as Bill worked with John Williams on Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Bill is an incredible talent too, and a super nice guy. When I was a recent college graduate trying to figure out how to work as a composer, Bill invited me over to his studio and chatted with me.

http://nerdreactor.com/2015/06/05/john-williams-recording-star-wars-the-force-awakens-in-la/

Let me kick off the conspiracy theories with a sane and plausible one.

His back is still acting up, and Ross is simply starting things off, until John feels good about taking up the baton again.

This is a good theory to get behind, I think. Note that it says "the majority of" not "all" conducting. And remember that these sessions are going to last for months....

Well, it might be just exhausting for a 83 year old. That's understandable.

Plus, Ross did an ace job on Chamber of Secrets. I'm a big fan of performances on that one, might be even better than Williams' Potter in places, to be honest.

Karol

Yeah, I have no quips with Ross conducting. But I'm sure this board is going to blow up.

And it's just a bit concerning to see these telling signs of Williams' aging I guess.

We had William Ross jokes IN THIS VERY THREAD and ON THIS VERY PAGE, and just like that, it came true!!! I swear we caused it somehow!

Yeah, I have no quips with Ross conducting. But I'm sure this board is going to blow up.

And it's just a bit concerning to see these telling signs of Williams' aging I guess.

This. I love Chamber of Secrets, and when I listen I'm not really conscious of the difference in conductor. But I hope Williams is back in action soon, and this won't be more of a trend than it already has been now and then over the years.

Well, Williams didn't conduct some of Jurassic Park and it didn't really impact the quality any. So...

TGP's theory seems to be the most reasonable.

Karol

"Funny story: as the orchestra was recording, a cell phone went off (which can get a musician fired), but it was J.J. Abrams’ father who forgot to silence his phone. Guess he has the right connection to not get thrown off the Sony lot".

It also says majority of the conducting, not all of the conducting. Ross will probably be on-hand for a while, or during the whole process, in case Williams needs him to step in. Since they're just getting started, and it seems to be action cue oriented, then Williams probably doesn't have the range of motion yet with his back acting up.

Let's bring it in people.

You're going to be okay. Now say it, you're going to be okay. Say it! Say the goddamn words!

I already told you guys.

William Ross is being flown in for conducting/adapting duties.

Jay doesn't know what he's talking about. The score manuscript (?) Tweet was Tweeted from Rancho Palos Verdes, which is up the street from where I live, a really wealthy area on the PV peninsula complete with Donald Trump's golf course with a giant American flag the locals tried to get him to take down and views of Catalina that look like the opening shot of The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Anyway, point is, it isn't close to where they'd be recording the score. At all. Like an hour+ away. Why was it there?

This is a non-story. Williams is composing the music, which is 99.99% of what we (okay, I guess maybe just myself) want. He is getting too old to conduct anymore, particularly rigorous all day sessions. this is how it will be from here on out--deal with it.

I already told you guys.

William Ross is being flown in for conducting/adapting duties.

Jay doesn't know what he's talking about. The score manuscript (?) Tweet was Tweeted from Rancho Palos Verdes, which is up the street from where I live, a really wealthy area on the PV peninsula complete with Donald Trump's golf course with a giant American flag the locals tried to get him to take down and views of Catalina that look like the opening shot of The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Anyway, point is, it isn't close to where they'd be recording the score. At all. Like an hour+ away. Why was it there?

Because the JKMS employee that tweeted it lives there or just happened to be there?

That's what he told me. He hasn't given me the score yet, but he knows where I can find it and then you guys can create those weird synthesized versions so we know what it will sound like. What else should I ask him? I'm about to commence his torture.

Synth mockup of March of the First Order, please.

Or the Resistance Fanfare.

Or BB-8's Motif.

Or Finn & Rey's Love Theme (the first of its kind in the Star Wars saga, as a matter of fact).

As long as Williams is at the sessions, dictating corrections, Ross is nothing more than a living metronome.

Don't panic just yet.

I'm more worried about the photo of the xylophones on the previous page. Can't wait for those random outbursts of annoyance.