Will The Force Awakens be Williams' 50th best score nomination?

crumbs

John Williams at the 2016 Academy Awards  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Force Awakens be Williams' 50th best score nomination?

2. 2. What would have happened if schedules allowed John to score both Episode 7 and Bridge of Spies

• Both scores would have been nominated
    • Only Bridge of Spies would have been nominated
    • Only The Force Awakens would have been nominated
    • Neither would have been nominated
    • I don't know man - I just wanted to vote on the simple question above!

Was kotcs eligible?

Not sure but I guess it was. This movie seem to be better received than KOTCS was though and it will get a couple of other nominations. Visual effects feels like a lock for instance and sound is probably almost a lock too.

Morricone would win this regardless of the quality of his score. Fortunately, what I've heard sounds pretty great, so good for him.

I Hope TFA and Bridge of Spies get nominated too

I would say these are probably the only ones with much of a chance:

“Bridge of Spies,” Thomas Newman, composer
“Brooklyn,” Michael Brook, composer
“Carol,” Carter Burwell, composer
“The Danish Girl,” Alexandre Desplat, composer
“The Good Dinosaur,” Mychael Danna and Jeff Danna, composers
“The Hateful Eight,” Ennio Morricone, composer
“Inside Out,” Michael Giacchino, composer
“Mad Max: Fury Road,” Tom Holkenborg, composer
“The Martian,” Harry Gregson-Williams, composer
“Sicario,” Jóhann Jóhannsson, composer
“Spotlight,” Howard Shore, composer

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens," John Williams, composer
“Steve Jobs,” Daniel Pemberton, composer
“The 33,” James Horner, composer

I didn't notice it at all watching the film

I didn't notice it much, but I was surprised how much had almost subliminarily made an impression when I first listened to the score

That's probably because it was the work of more than two composers. Doesn't the academy have a ruling against that?

One of them only did additional music and The Last Emperor won the Oscar (3 composers won the Oscar).

But I could be wrong, maybe that ruled it out if the rules have changed, I am curious to know why it didn't make it.

I think Williams will definitely be nominated. There's too much hype for him not to be. A win, however? It's hard to say. A win would be bittersweet since arguably the best Star Wars score (ESB) didn't win.

I think it's very unlikely that he wins. I think he'll prob be nominated but even that's not as common a guarantee as it usually is. Question: were the prequel scores eligible for nominations?

Yes they were.

The thing was Williams had drama scores in each of the years and the Academy obviously prefers to nominated serious Oscar movies in every category.

He got nominated all those 3 years (twice in 2005 infact) but for different serious drama scores for prestige pictures with oscar pedigree.

At this point, I really don't give a crap about the Oscars anymore. And I am not just saying that, I really mean it.

If he gets nominated, good for him! If he doesn't, who cares?

I think it's going way too far to say it has no chance.  It probably has a stronger chance than anything since Memoirs of a Geisha.  I still don't expect it to win, but I'd also not be shocked if it did.

I think there is slightly more of a possibility than before that the film could get a Best Picture nomination. It made the AFI top 10 and the Critics Choice voted to throw it in their already set Picture category. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but the reviews, box office, and general excitement could slip it in there. Also if it's really on its way to beating Avatar in the US, it would apparently be the first #1 not to get nominated. 

But at that point the score's chances would go up. Even still TFA could win a lot of tech categories so I wouldn't say "no chance" either.

If the Oscars want to be irrelevant they should ignore The Force Awakens. 

The film is very worthy. If shit like Birdman can win best picture then a really great film like the Force Awakens should have a shot. 

It's been a long time since the biggest film of the year is recognized by the academy. It's well past the time that films no one sees or wants to see bow to a film that seemingly everyone wants to see. And John's music is a big reason. In my two experiences so far and everyone I know experience everyone cheers when the Star Wars theme plays. 

Who cares about Oscars anymore, seriously. Another year, another disappointment. An Oscar for a Star Wars score? In this day and age? Let's just hope Gustavo Santaolalla won't be nominated, or else he'll be getting his 3rd one.

8 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I think it's going way too far to say it has no chance.  It probably has a stronger chance than anything since Memoirs of a Geisha.

The one and only thing that prevented Geisha from netting Williams' 6th Oscar was the lousy movie itself.  If it had been well-liked/reviewed and nominated in the more "serious" categories like Picture/Director etc, then I think he would have been a shoo-in.

1 hour ago, Joey said:

If the Oscars want to be irrelevant they should ignore The Force Awakens. 

The film is very worthy.

That's really the only thing keeping the possibility alive.  That The Force Awakens is a success critically is helping matters along.

• 3 weeks later...