Close Encounters OST also being reissued - on SACD November 27

Jay

Close Encounters and Jaws were the TWO movies I'm glad that I missed!

Jaws - Bum Bum Bum Bum ( repeat ad nauseam)

Close Encounters- Da Do Dey Do Dah Do.

Of course "Close Encounters" was morphed into "Planet Krypton" from SUPERMAN!

Close Encounters and Jaws were the TWO movies I'm glad that I missed!

Jaws - Bum Bum Bum Bum ( repeat ad nauseam)

Close Encounters- Da Do Dey Do Dah Do.

Of course "Close Encounters" was morphed into "Planet Krypton" from SUPERMAN!

I really hope you are joking!

No they didn't

I thought they did.

The downloadable Jaws 2 tracks are, in fact, hard-limited. This effect reduces the dynamic range of the recording, making the score's loudest passages seem like they're hitting a volume ceiling. Unfortunately, it wasn't tastefully implemented (as with TPM: UE) and sounds quite unnatural.

Compared to the original CD, the 24-bit/96 kHz transfer of the analog album master-tapes does produce increased clarity. But in my opinion, this release was ruined by whoever who chose to hard-limit the tracks.

I trust that Intrada - with (hopefully) Matessino at the helm - will get it right.

Save your money, Drax.

Question is will the SACD reflect a new remix based on the original recorded mixes or will it use the album master devised by John Neal. The SACD format accentuates for a 5.1 experience so I am assuming this will be a different experience. Lets see.

Wrong, while SACD has a 5.1 capability, there are many SACD releases that are stereo only. Apparently CE3K will be just that.

The music on this SACD was newly mastered by Steve Hoffman, so its sound should be a noticeable improvement over the DVD-A.
The disc will be a Hybrid SACD, so it will play in most standard CD players. Both layers (SACD/CD) will be in stereo only.

Since this time it was handled by Steve Hoffman, we might see improvements. Also, I can close my book on CE3K (vinyl, CDs, DVD-A and now SACD)... can I?

I remember many years ago, Steve Hoffman said that he did not recommended converting DSD to PCM for the CD layer of an SACD, but creating a whole new master specifically in PCM for the CD layer. I wonder if he'll follow that with the new CE3K...

Since this time it was handled by Steve Hoffman, we might see improvements. Also, I can close my book on CE3K (vinyl, CDs, DVD-A and now SACD)... can I?

I remember many years ago, Steve Hoffman said that he did not recommended converting DSD to PCM for the CD layer of an SACD, but creating a whole new master specifically in PCM for the CD layer. I wonder if he'll follow that with the new CE3K...

No, you bloody well can't!!!!! Not until the complete score is on Blu-ray 5.1 in dts master audio, complete with all out-takes, and alternate takes, including "The 11th Commandment" !!!!!!

Ooops. Shouldn't have posted that. I don't exist. Sorry.

No, you bloody well can't!!!!! Not until the complete score is on Blu-ray 5.1 in dts master audio, complete with all out-takes, and alternate takes, including "The 11th Commandment" !!!!!!

Ooops. Shouldn't have posted that. I don't exist. Sorry.

Closing the books on the original release, I meant! We still need vinyl, DVD-A and SACD for the 1998 expanded release before jumping to this dreamy edition you mentioned :)

All this new release will be is the best sounding version of that master, like Geffen's recent ET and Jaws 2 reissues, and Sony's upcoming Home Alone reissue. These kinds of reissues aren't about changing anything.

They made Jaws 2 louder and compressed. How is that the "best sounding version"?

I agree. Was E.T. improved? They also reissued Jaws. How's that sound? Either way, it's on vinyl, so.

Really people!

6 note motif inspires enough devotion to this Soundtrack?

The 2 note motif from JAWS is the ONLY THING that is credited to John Williams in later sequels. No other sections are quoted.

The richest composing job that Williams did , PRE -JAWS or CE3K, was for THE TOWERING INFERNO.

THAT movie alone, was the sole representative of what Williams would eventually do for STAR WARS.

I hope they fixed some of the more jarring edits.

Why would they do that? They're part of the original album.

"Jarring Edits" were also part of STAR WARS, original soundtrack (original album) and, in lesser words, the soundtrack album SUCKED in many ways!

In 1997 this whole MESS was finally fixed with the SPECIAL EDITION of the STAR WARS Soundtrack.

• 1 month later...

I have the expanded edition, but not the original release. In general, I've noticed that lately I've been more inclined to listen to the original albums (and the original sequencing - omissions be damned) rather than opting for the expanded/complete releases, so.... Ordered!

I have the expanded edition, but not the original release. In general, I've noticed that lately I've been more inclined to listen to the original albums (and the original sequencing - omissions be damned) rather than opting for the expanded/complete releases, so.... Ordered!

I've developed a real fetish for old albums on CD, even if they'vebeen reissued or expanded. They're like classic cars.

I think it's great - like in the case of the forthcoming expanded edition of Jaws 2 (or the newly "announced" expanded Jaws for that matter) - when reissues keeps the original sequencing as well as serving up expanded cues and alternates. It'll let the listener go back and enjoy the album the way Williams envisioned it at the time of it's release.

I understand why some edits on an OST would be jarring for some listeners - take Home Alone 2 for example. But I'd even go so far as to say that even the OST for Home Alone 2 (edits be damned) is a better listening experience than the reissue.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the expanded cues though, and one can't complain when it comes in chronological order. But still... To be honest, I would have liked to have those edits on an expanded/remastered release as well.

I didn't have an issue with Williams albums until the 2000s. I think it was because at that time, we had the privilege of expanded or complete releases of his scores, so we suddenly felt entitled to all the music.

Generally, all CDs manufactured in the 80's-90's should be reissued, as they may suffer from some problems of bad mastering and/or lack of definition.

For the recordings that have been recorded digitally then, there's nothing to do, except if they was also recorded on tape. So it's the tape that should be reissued then instead of the digital recording.

NOTE: A bad remastering can occurs on modern CD too, but that doesn't make original 80's CD a perfect medium...

All to say that, when an new release replace an old 80's CD that I already have in my collection... I don't ask myself many questions, I buy it.

They'd be ruined!

Better them than my speakers! And if one day they reissue them in an Anthology, I hope they will remove the sound effects!