BB8 Entertainment Weekly Featurette - Williams score?

Romão

Nope. This is not Williams. Move on folks.

On 11/26/2015 at 0:56 AM, Faleel said:
On 11/26/2015 at 0:52 AM, Mr. Big said:

LOL, people thought that was Williams music.

Agreed!

Is it really that much diffrenr from this?

Yup. What you posted above is a lot more sophisticated than what's playing underneath the clip.

The EW video is just using fairly competent library music.

On 11/26/2015 at 0:56 AM, Faleel said:
On 11/26/2015 at 0:52 AM, Mr. Big said:

LOL, people thought that was Williams music.

Agreed!

Is it really that much diffrenr from this?

That's definately NOT John Williams!

Somehow, when only barely audible, it sounded convincingly orchestral. It also sounded more detailed; I guess my mind imagined more texture in the absence of discernible sound. Still, this is much more harmonically sophisticated than your usual trailer fare. Whoever wrote it has a good grasp of quirky prokofiev-isms. And even (some) williams-isms. The (implied) timbral choices are rather crafty.

Then again, could there be details so obscured by the rather synthetic sound of what's left of the soundtrack with the dialogue removed, as to (again) give a false impression?

Vocal removed and music volume increased.... the quality isn't good but you can hear the music better. It doesn't sound like Williams to me.

https://soundcloud.com/user284573450/bb8

Thematically it sounds like what Williams would write in 2015 for a ball-shaped droid.

I dunno. Listening to the vocals removed version it sounds too cartoony to fit into the pg13 action film they're going for.

It sounds like something written for one of those made for TV movies the Disney channel used to have back in the day. Also, I doubt the use of actual TFA music was in EW's budget. Much cheaper to find some random, cutesy library music.

I doubt Disney would even allow EW to use any music. Disney has been very hush, hush about the music aside from saying it's brilliant and complimenting Williams. In any case, this music is clearly not Williams. It seems the only sample we've gotten of his music was in that 20 second clip on AMAs.

• 3 weeks later...