The Force Awakens film to feature "Cantina Song" written by Lin-Manuel Miranda & JJ Abrams

aj_vader

Hopefully this won't waste too much space on the album.

Waste of space? It will be. It will be!

They could have put that on iTunes as a special bonus track but please reserve the space on the CD for JW music only!

Well, now I feel like anything I say will still be met with skepticism :lol: but yes, this is actually a 100% real story. Search Lin-Manuel Miranda on Twitter.

Btw they showed the trailer again for their little Force Awakens clip at the end. So no new scenes yet.

Embossed packaging. Fold out posters. Dialogue tracks with sound effects. Music not even written by Williams on the OST. It's true. All of it.

There is nothing for me here now! I want to come with you and learn the ways of an album producer!

How ironic if the "memorable jazzy dance cue" that "everyone was talking about" wasn't even written by Williams.

Presumably they would've still recorded it at the main scoring sessions, too, so it's likely to be the case. Bit unusual he was happy to include it on the OST though... :(

Somebody just twittered about some new Cantina music by Lin Manuel and JJ Abrahams?. Can anyone shed some light. Will it be on the cd?

Somebody just twittered about some new Cantina music by Williams. Can anyone shed some light. Will it be on the cd?

read the c.d. thread. it's not good news

I wouldn't even bother getting the OST now.

I now realise why ARTWORK NOT FINAL is written across the OST cover; the final version features the bold font credit, Cellar Music by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

There will be a small, star shaped sticker up the top that reads Also featuring 'Star Wars' theme by John Williams.

fuck this

Everything is officially ruined for me. TFA, Christmas, everything...

Should this be the official JWFan Christmas time quote now? ;)

Williams' score release has been abandoned, in favour of a Music Inspired by the Motion Picture release.

It was unavoidable. It was his destiny. Williams, like his father, are now Lin-Manuel Miranda's.

The OST has been cancelled.

Williams wanted a complete, 3CD release (mastered by Mike Matessino) but Disney decided a pop music album featuring Justin Bieber and One Direction humming the Star Wars theme would sell better.

Somebody just twittered about some new Cantina music by Lin Manuel and JJ Abrahams?. Can anyone shed some light. Will it be on the cd?

It will be there taking away sweet minutes from the original score by Williams!

Yeah, JJ Abrams was on Jimmy Fallon saying John Williams gave him permission to get someone else to do the incidental music for the new "cantina scene" because Williams was doing the actual score so Abrams got Lin-Manuel Miranda, the writer of HAMILTON.

Cantina music? So it is a remake!

Just like Dex's Diner in Episode II and the miscellaneous source music for Tatooine in Episode I!

For my part, I found it normal to give the composition of a modern pop song (that we will hear 10 seconds in the movie) to another composer than John Williams.

He has other things to do, especially at 83.

That's no big deal.

And thanks the Maker, it has nothing to do on a CD where "Music by John Williams" is written in big letters on the cover.

For my part, I found it normal to give the composition of a modern pop song (that we will hear 10 seconds in the movie) to another composer than John Williams.

That's no big deal.

And thanks the Maker, it has nothing to do on a CD where "Music by John Williams" is written in big letters on the cover.

But it is going to be on the album!

That's no big deal.

But it is going to be on the album!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

I now realise why ARTWORK NOT FINAL is written across the OST cover; the final version features the bold font credit, Cellar Music by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

I thought the cover with "Artwork Not Final" written on it was the final cover.

it's 5 minutes long.

Bomb dropped: JJ Abrams just revealed on Fallon that the jazz number was not actually written by Williams but by Lin-Manuel Miranda of In the Heights and Hamilton fame....along with JJ himself (?!?!)

Apparently what happened is Williams had told Abrams he preferred to focus on the score (and Abrams did throw in a "JJ Baby" when he was quoting him ;)) and not have to also write the cantina music. Then not long after that JJ happened to see Hamilton, bumped into Miranda who made an offhand joke about writing a cantina tune, not knowing Williams didn't really want to write it or that there would be such a sequence in the film. And then Abrams literally said "now there is this cantina song that Lin-Manuel Miranda and I wrote."

So erm...wow!

We did.Worked on it between 6pm & 7:30 on 2 show days for the past 2 months.JJ is the best.Can't wait to see. https://t.co/pPYu8nRsxI

— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel)

December 1, 2015
This non-Williams cantina song was worked on in the last two months, and the catchy piece mentioned in the Making Star Wars article was recorded in early June. So maybe there's still hope!

The OST will be full of pop songs.

Williams' score release has been abandoned, in favour of a Music Inspired by the Motion Picture release.

It was unavoidable. It was his destiny. Williams, like his father, are now Lin-Manuel Miranda's.

Is this for real or is it actually just another JWFan gross exaggeration?

The OST will be full of pop songs.

Is this for real or is it actually just another JWFan gross exaggeration?

what do you think ;)