The Force Awakens film to feature "Cantina Song" written by Lin-Manuel Miranda & JJ Abrams

aj_vader

It might be like one of those 20-minute prog-rock epic tracks they used to do in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Then there's 13-minute Azkaban-like suite.

And 27 minutes of original music, most of which is either a concert track. Or an alternate.

;)

Karol

Well, its nice to see JJ's rampant narcissism is intact. He's been pulling the "Gene Roddenberry" act with music for as long as he's been a show runner. One wonders how much cash he pocketed for that *single chord* over every episode of Lost.

John Williams probably invited Abrams to participate tbh.

Is this for real or is it actually just another JWFan gross exaggeration?

There's just one source cue not composed by JW that will be on the album. End of story.

You sad fuckers.

Why the anger? We already have similar non-Williams pieces in the Star Wars universe. Yes, it would be preferable had Williams written everything, but he passed on this piece. Move along.

As for JJ's "narcissism," he has musical ability. Why can't he write pieces for his movies? Should we hate Clint Eastwood also?

Why the anger? We already have similar non-Williams pieces in the Star Wars universe. Yes, it would be preferable had Williams written everything, but he passed on this piece. Move along.

As for JJ's "narcissism," he has musical ability. Why can't he write pieces for his movies? Should we hate Clint Eastwood also?

I have zero issue with collaboration or someone adding to the Star Wars musical universe. I really enjoy Kevin Kiner's output, for example. Ditto Joel McNeely's one entry into the lexicon.

Abrams, however, has a long list of, shall we call it, self-satisfaction.

I'm sure everyone here remembers the story about how Gene Roddenberry screwed composer (and later Williams arranger) Alexander Courage out of a lifetime of royalties with a handshake deal on the theme to Star Trek. This seems pretty much the same thing, if only done nicely. John Williams has more money than I will ever see in my life time and won't be crying poverty and all is right in that part of the world - but the fact that Abrams always has to stick his hand in someone else's pocket on every project just shows what a little shit he is. It would be one thing if he wrote source music as a laugh and put it in the film - but he knows he'll be making money on a Star Wars album until his dying day, and its not for the love of music but probably for the love of his own ego.

Is there any other director in the world whos gotten more attention for creating absolutely nothing original?

Bomb dropped: JJ Abrams just revealed on Fallon that the jazz number was not actually written by Williams but by Lin-Manuel Miranda of In the Heights and Hamilton fame....along with JJ himself (?!?!)

Apparently what happened is Williams had told Abrams he preferred to focus on the score (and Abrams did throw in a "JJ Baby" when he was quoting him ;)) and not have to also write the cantina music. Then not long after that JJ happened to see Hamilton, bumped into Miranda who made an offhand joke about writing a cantina tune, not knowing Williams didn't really want to write it or that there would be such a sequence in the film. And then Abrams literally said "now there is this cantina song that Lin-Manuel Miranda and I wrote."

So erm...wow!

We did. Worked on it between 6pm & 7:30 on 2 show days for the past 2 months. JJ is the best. Can't wait to see.
https://t.co/pPYu8nRsxI

— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel)
December 1, 2015

This non-Williams cantina song was worked on in the last two months, and the catchy piece mentioned in the Making Star Wars article was recorded in early June. So maybe there's still hope!

Ahh interesting! So maybe Williams had written one but then they needed another to cover the scene and JW didn't want to do that? Or his was rejected. Or it never existed to begin with...

We'll know soon enough.

I have zero issue with collaboration or someone adding to the Star Wars musical universe. I really enjoy Kevin Kiner's output, for example. Ditto Joel McNeely's one entry into the lexicon.

Abrams, however, has a long list of, shall we call it, self-satisfaction.

https://youtu.be/JPtQ4K-evBo

This is totally a non-issue in my book

Brother, do I envy you. Unfortunately, I have thin skin and thick words about things.

Its like the old George Carlin quote: "I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f*cking hatreds!"

This is totally a non-issue in my book

It is. My biggest question was whether or not this had anything to do with the rumored "swing tune" that they recorded last summer. If we end up getting one by Williams and this extra song, so much the better. Either way I'm curious as hell to hear this thing, really.

By the way, here's the clip from the interview:

"John Williams is the greatest man alive." - JJ Abrams

All things considered i find it much more outrageous that in this day and age they record probably 100 hours of music but still only release this strict 70-minute program. Every lame action score gets a 100+ deluxe edition nowadays but freakin STAR WARS! chooses to stay in the 90's.

It is all sad, yes. No one appreciates film music anymore, unless it has an Inception BWOOOOOAMMMMMMMMMMMM!

only a couple of weeks. But Zimmer has some tricks up his sleeves ;) BAHHHHHHH BAHHHH BAAHH BAAAHHH '' I love it angel babe''

lol dank memes bros, DAE zimmer sucks?

It is all sad, yes. No one appreciates film music anymore, unless it has an Inception BWOOOOOAMMMMMMMMMMMM!

only a couple of weeks. But Zimmer has some tricks up his sleeves ;) BAHHHHHHH BAHHHH BAAHH BAAAHHH '' I love it angel babe''

lol dank memes bros, DAE zimmer sucks?

K7G.gif

tumblr_mpg5arui7E1s1clzao1_250.gif

Has this been discussed?

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/lin-manuel-miranda-star-wars-song_75145.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=01dec2015

Wonder why Williams wouldn't want to score such a scene? Has his enthusiasm for weird alien jazz source music wanted over the years?

Has this been discussed?

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/lin-manuel-miranda-star-wars-song_75145.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=01dec2015

Wonder why Williams wouldn't want to score such a scene? Has his enthusiasm for weird alien jazz source music wanted over the years?

No.

So we know the Cantina song by Abrams and Miranda features Alien voices, per the Amazon.IT listing

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B014V6JIQK

L’attesissima colonna sonora di “STAR WARS – The Force Awakens” contiene oltre 1 ora di musica + 1 brano (“cantina” song) con le voci dei personaggi alieni che appaiono nel film.

Translated as:

The highly anticipated soundtrack to "Star Wars - The Force Awakens" contains more than one hour of music + 1 track ("cantina" song) with the voices of the alien characters that appear in the film.

F*CK it. Where does one go to change his real name, please!

What's with JJ that does not let his composers make source music (ok Williams declined, but Giacchino has missed some source cues and main titles because of JJ...)

Ok, another Jedi rocks. But where is the 2CD set... to feel happy regardless of the inclussion of the song...