BloodBoal

Anyone comparing this already to any of Whedon's other shows is crazy, considering only two episodes have aired. It will take at least half a dozen or so to really be able to judge what is going on with the show and how its going. So far, we have had two drastically different episodes so there's no way of telling what direction the show is going at this point.

As for star power, I would expect something next month when Thor comes out, even if its just Kat Dennings popping up for a cameo. If the show makes a second season, I'd expect Colbie Smolders to become a regular seeing as HIMYM is ending.

It's a show, you're supposed to have unanswered questions.

its supposed to have characters you relate too or care about, but AoS doesn't really have any. It's pretty much a boring show.

Anyone comparing this already to any of Whedon's other shows is crazy, considering only two episodes have aired. It will take at least half a dozen or so to really be able to judge what is going on with the show and how its going. So far, we have had two drastically different episodes so there's no way of telling what direction the show is going at this point.

As for star power, I would expect something next month when Thor comes out, even if its just Kat Dennings popping up for a cameo. If the show makes a second season, I'd expect Colbie Smolders to become a regular seeing as HIMYM is ending.

The thing is, with Buffy, Angel and Firefly -- I could get a grasp of the world Whedon was building within the first 2-3 episodes. And I watched the pilot... it doesn't have that trademark Whedon touch to it (even though he directed and co-wrote the thing). If people say SHIELD gets better as it goes along, I'll give it a shot again.

And I'm not saying the show needs star power, but it needs at least one more actor to establish that Avengers/MCU connection. Like you said, if the show gets renewed for a second season, having Cobie Smulders upgraded to regular would be a huge step in the right direction. And having Kat Dennings do a guest spot (to cross-promote Thor 2) would be even better.

Whedon only did the pilot to get the show off the ground. His brother is essentially running the show, like Dollhouse. By episode 6, that show got really good so I'm willing to give the same time here. After two episodes everyone complains that there's not enough world building and character development, yet if there was any more people would likely claim there's too much. I really don't understand why people are so quick to judge something after two episodes, very few shows find their footing right away like Breaking Bad.

Whedon only did the pilot to get the show off the ground. His brother is essentially running the show, like Dollhouse. By episode 6, that show got really good so I'm willing to give the same time here. After two episodes everyone complains that there's not enough world building and character development, yet if there was any more people would likely claim there's too much. I really don't understand why people are so quick to judge something after two episodes, very few shows find their footing right away like Breaking Bad.

It's not that factor that leaves me "eh" on SHIELD at this point. I can't really put my finger on it... maybe because it feels "Whedon-Lite" where the ingredients are there -- but it's not clicking for me. I don't have a problem with others showrunning either -- because Joss's priority is Avengers: Age of Ultron at the moment (I'd rather have him focused 100% on that).

I think it's the new characters that leave me cold. Aside from Melinda, Skye, Grant, and Leo bore me to death.

On a more positive note, Nellie Andreeva from Deadline says that Agents of SHIELD is the next show likely to receive a full-season pickup.

So I just saw the 1st episode and immediately I recognized the hooded hero from Arrow, which is DC Comics. LOL, oh the irony of that statement.

• 1 month later...

I am a Marvel fan (love the comics and like the movies) and this show really sucks. Arrow (DC) is watchable, but this one is very bad, I don´t know why I am still watching it. I suppose that I´m waiting for characters and stories of the books and the films (and hoping to get better), but the characters and the actors are all terrible and the action is lame. With the tons of great tv series that we have and this moment this is sad.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I still haven't seen the show at all, but apparently in last night's episode they explained how Coulson got brought back to life after dying in The Avengers. This article summarizes the explanation:

http://geektyrant.com/news/agent-coulsons-resurrection-finally-explained-in-agents-of-shield

Sounds dumb.

Yeah, that explanation was terrible. I think I watched the first 4 episodes and gave up. Didn't see Josh Whedon's hand in any of the four I watched.

BSG was very satisfying to me.

I'm not directly comparing Agents of SHIELD to TNG but SHIELD seems to be finding it's footing. It has improved quite a bit.

BSG was very satisfying to me.

I'm not directly comparing Agents of SHIELD to TNG but SHIELD seems to be finding it's footing. It has improved quite a bit.

I've skipped this up to now but I'm sort of hoping it gets going in its second season because me and Claire are always on the lookout for shared shows and she loves the Marvel movies. Something to add to Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, the latter of which has become some of the most brutally dark tv I've ever seen; with barely a glimmer of the comparatively light and Hollywoody first season to connect them. It's like two different shows at this stage.

Heh, but you did watch them :nod:

I watched the Prequels, Prometheus, Home Alone 2...

your point?

So you've watched some shit movies in your life, what an original hero. What's your point?

Little bit done with dark and brutal after GoT season three. For the moment at least.

That's like Murder She Wrote compared to where The Walking Dead has found itself now. It's fucking brilliant tbh, the grit of it really damn impressive. It's like after all the fooling around in previous seasons its found exactly where it needed to be. The apocalypse is full of sickness and utter misery, and no doubt too much for some to get through.

I've put off watching more of this show until I've seen Thor: The Dark World. So far it's been... diverting. At best. I think the show tries too hard, really. I'll probably keep it around out of interest. I'm curious to see how it connects to the film series, but as a standalone show, I would have zoned out after three episodes.

I've put off watching more of this show until I've seen Thor: The Dark World. So far it's been... diverting. At best. I think the show tries too hard, really. I'll probably keep it around out of interest. I'm curious to see how it connects to the film series, but as a standalone show, I would have zoned out after three episodes.

The show has to be given enough time to itself. It's improved. It's not great but it is developing. There is a bond clearly forming.

• 1 month later...

Tonight during the Oscars, ABC kept pushing this new "Uprising" story arc they are going to do on Agents of SHIELD, starting this Tuesday. What's it all about? Anybody here excited for it, anybody here still watching and enjoying the show?

• 2 months later...

Really? Interesting. Maybe we'll check it out this summer.

How's Bear's score?

Did anybody from the films appear on the show besides Thor and Nick Fury (in one episode each)?