Gotham: Live action Batman spinoff TV Series

Jay

I wonder how will it sustain itself without Batman. I know this is stemming back to way before he became Commissioner, but still... I don't know. It seems like Fox is just treating this as another procedural with Batman characters.

It could be interesting, but it depends on who will play Gordon.

I've thought for a while that a cop drama in Gotham similar to The Wire could be great. But on Fox? I dunno. I always figured it would work better on HBO or something.

The world needs more Batman. Batman Supermarkets, Batman Finance, Batman Airlines, Batman Beans, Batman Domestic Services, Batman Upholstery, Batman Electrical Engineering and Plumbing Supplies, Batman Toothpaste

There should also be more Batman movie cross-overs. Batman & Bond, Batman's List, Batman Goes Bananas, Any Which Way But Batman, Batman in the Garden of Good and Evil, Brokeback Batman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Batman, Batman of Arabia, Pretty Batman

Batman the Barbarian, I Batman, The Batman in Winter, Batman in Water, Cutthroat Batman, The Planet Of The Batman, Rise Of The Planet Of The Batman, The 13th Batman, Batman of Troy, Batman of the Caribbean, The Mask of Batman, The Legend of Batman, Batman to the Center of the Earth, Batman Wicked this Way Comes, The Batman in the Iron Mask, Batman - Legend of the Seven Sea, How to Train Your Batman, Batzilla......

I must have out of my mind.

The world needs more Batman. Batman Supermarkets, Batman Finance, Batman Airlines, Batman Beans, Batman Domestic Services, Batman Upholstery, Batman Electrical Engineering and Plumbing Supplies, Batman Toothpaste

There should also be more Batman movie cross-overs. Batman & Bond, Batman's List, Batman Goes Bananas, Any Which Way But Batman, Batman in the Garden of Good and Evil, Brokeback Batman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Batman, Batman of Arabia, Pretty Batman

You will need something after Breaking Bad.

I've thought for a while that a cop drama in Gotham similar to The Wire could be great. But on Fox? I dunno. I always figured it would work better on HBO or something.

That Spawn animated series on HBO was pretty cool. I'm reminded of that a bit.

They could use it to debut Affleck. The new Gotham. So by the time Superman/Batman comes out we will be used to this new vision.

That MAY work...but never know. Generally if they have a spin-off for a popular franchise like this and there's no main characters that may popup every once in a while or through out the whole thing then it doesn't last very long.

Using Gordon, as a young cop fighting the mob families as Gotham crumbles around him is an interesting enough concept for the show. Start with the Wayne murder and end the show with the appearance of a masked vigilante. There's plenty of mobsters to oppose Gordon, as well as possibly Dent as a DA and Penguin as an arms dealer. It could work as a limited type of show that the networks are finally starting to embrace.

• 7 months later...

For those who really can't get enough of the Bats:

Before Batman. Before really anyone you know and love. Basically just a normal crime drama set against the backdrop of....

GOTHAM

For those who really can't get enough of the Bats:

Wow, I did not like anything I see here! This looks silly and unnecessary. They are really going to cram all those children versions of those Batman villains into the pilot episode?

BTW, was the music used here from one of ZImmer's Bats scores, or something original (or from something else)?

Wow, I did not like anything I see here! This looks silly and unnecessary.

Of course it looks silly and unnecessary! It's Fox! :rimshot:

For something that was supposed to convey the scope of Gotham, it looks quite artificial and cheap.

I mean, Breaking Bad (for example) was a really small-scaled series, but always looked cinematic. The Wire didn't have that kind of feel, but managed to convey this almost Dickensian atmosphere through very naturalistic un-stylised look. This has neither.

Karol

Almost every show airing on network TV in produced by some other production studio.

Almost every show airing on network TV in produced by some other production studio.

It depends on how specific you want to get with the various production companies involved. Officially, CBS Television Studios produces The Good Wife, and CBS the network broadcasts it. ABC Studios produces Castle, and ABC the network broadcasts it.

Different situation with Gotham.

Different situation with most tv shows!

MASH was a Fox show that aired on CBS

Cheer and Frasier were CBS shows that aired on NBC

Friends was a WB show that aired on NBC

Doogie Howser and NYPD Blue were Fox show that aired on ABC

Cosby Show was a Paramount show that aired on NBC

Seinfeld was a Sony show that aired on NBC

Fringe was a WB show that aired on Fox.

Twin Peaks was a CBS show that aired on ABC

Brooklyn 99 and The Mindy Project are a NBC/Universal shows that airs on Fox

2 1/2 Men and The Big Bang Theory are WB shows that air on CBS

etc, etc, etc....

24 (Fox/Fox)

Bones (Fox/Fox)

Elementary (CBS/CBS)

Glee (Fox/Fox)

Gray's Anatomy (ABC/ABC)

Hawaii Five-O (CBS/CBS)

NCIS (CBS/CBS)

Once Upon a Time (ABC/ABC)

Prison Break (Fox/Fox)

Scandal (ABC/ABC)

etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...

"Almost every" is the not the same thing as "most."

(Oh, and I appended more etc to my post, so I win.)