The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I liked "Oxygen" a lot too!!!  But "Thin Ice" remains the season highlight.  With 5 episodes in, I'll start a weekly personal power ranking.  Right now it's:

1. Thin Ice

2. Oxygen

3. Knock Knock

4. The Pilot

5. Smile

I'm so pleased with this season so far.  Casting off Clara "Dead Weight" Oswald was long overdue and the show feels much fresher now with Bill, a much more compelling companion.

This is all making me very jealous. I don't have a TV, and I refuse to pay well over £120 for a licence to watch it on i-player. The complete series (grits teeth)...36...is not on Blu, until mid July. I'll have to until then :(

And I'm really liking what's shaping up to be the overall season 10 structure.  5 episodes whose main purpose is to establish Bill as a companion and the Doctor being "stuck" on Earth and now it looks like the latter half of the season will be ramping up the season-long arc with these "demon" villains.  Cool stuff!

I'm rewatching now.  Such a funny episode!  So many great lines.  I continue to reiterate that humor is the best thing about the Moffat era.

"Assumption makes an ass out of 'u' and 'umption'"

"Its layout is designed to confuse the uninitiated." "Sounds like religion."

This is a classic!  Nardole and Bill were so great, they have good chemistry as a duo.

43 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

"Assumption makes an ass out of 'u' and 'umption'"

Hey, I've used this line myself, I should get credit. 

I also liked the line about Moby Dick. Over half of the book was about the specifics of whaling. The hunt for the whale was a very tiny part. Good book, but so traumatic I pulled out a tooth and passed out. 

I'm trying to read it for the second time* at the moment (on and off), so I thought the comment was spot on. Would be easier if all the rambling seemed to have a clear purpose.

*) *trying to* for the second time, that is. Got to somewhere near the middle the first time, some 15+ years ago.

I've never been a huge fan of that mid-19th century American period of literature. Once you get to the early 20th is when you really get cookin' with authors like Edith Wharton, Booth Tarkington, and Theodore Dreiser, who all wrote novels I dearly love.  That generation of writers before Woolf, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc. I find fascinating.  But then again Steinbeck is my favorite American author of all :) 

Must be a sign of the times, too. People complain about Tolkien being long winded (perhaps because he's recent enough to not be counted as a historic writer), but his longest mood setting passages would perhaps still be frowned upon as superficial and hastened by his peers from 100 years before.

I read Hugo's Notre Dame a few years back (German translation, sadly, since I can't read French). Reading a 40 page chapter on the view of Paris from the top of the cathedral is tough enough if you're not familiar with the city at all and the author describes the view from the medieval cathedral by contrasting it with the view in the mid 19th century. Hugo saying that beyond a certain point lay an area which he's not going to describe, and then devoting another 20 pages to doing just that is tougher.

But Melville has this tendency to switch to quaint side stories that give the the impression of supposedly carrying some deeper meaning, and I can never decide if he's deliberately portraying Ishmael as quaint and rambling or not. Same goes for the religious and nationalist/racist passages, which sometimes seem very liberal and enlightened for their time, and sometimes just worrisomely supremacist (whether on Ishmael's or Melville's part, I'm not sure). Which again comes with the era, to an extent, but Melville meticulously arguing his points doesn't make it easier to take.

Still, I know some difficulties come with the territory, and while both Notre Dame and A Tale of Two Cities a few years earlier took me a long time to finish, both were, in the end, seriously amazing. So I'm determined to stick with Moby-Dick as well, although I'll happily put it aside for easier/shorter fare at times.

Properly laughed out loud at the 'Extremis' moment when Bill has reassured the slightly nervous-looking girl she's brought home that there's 'nothing wrong' in them being together, only to have the brought-by-Tardis Pope enter the room shortly afterwards.  

The Pyramid at the End of the World

Woah, I am liking this new semi-serialized Doctor Who!  And Peter Harness continues to be probably my favorite current Doctor Who writer.  I hope he keeps getting episodes to write under Chibnall!

:thumbup:

The blindness phase I think goes as bold as I've ever seen Who go. The idea of only being able to see the outline of everything is quite a disturbing one.

Although surely a door would be opened by a keypad, rather than a combination - that seems a bit of a stretch to me to keep the Doctor trapped in there.

This season has been a mixed bag for me. Some good standalone stories, but also some 'meh' ones (I really didn't like Thin Ice). The overall story arc feels a bit average, but hopefully they're going somewhere with the monks.

If they chose to regenerate the Master into a woman, the only logical conclusion is to also regenerate the Doctor into a woman at some point.

I hope you're joking Richard.  Any self-respecting Who fan knows that a Time Lord can regenerate into either gender.  It's frankly embarrassing they haven't done that yet.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I hope you're joking Richard.  Any self-respecting Who fan knows that a Time Lord can regenerate into either gender.  It's frankly embarrassing they haven't done that yet.

I'm not joking. Until the recent episode set on Gallifrey, there was no precedence for it...in over 50 years.

Moffatt is having a giraffe.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A female Doctor would go a long way in righting some of the wrongs that have been done over the last 50+ years when it comes to the depiction of women in this franchise!

#TimeladyInTheTARDIS!

What are these wrongs? The programme has had some brilliant, female companions/associates:

Sarah Jane Smith, Perpigulliam Brown, Sara Kingdom, Zoe Herriot, Ace, Rose Tyler, Donna Noble, Kate Lethbridge-Stewart, Clara Oswald, to name a few.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'l tell you another thing...it's not series 31 either!

Oh.......go boil your head!

Anyway, it ain't gonna happen.

Trust me, on this :thumbup:

If you have a character who's complete personality changes once every couple of years and is played by a different actor, you can easily fit in a female every now and then!

It's not like they are making Bond a woman, or Captain Kirk!

The only reason to keep the Doctor male is because that's what he's always been.  Unlike Bond, the Doctor is in no way defined by gender.  There's not one key characteristic across all incarnations that would limit the character to male.  The concept of the show invites changes of gender and skin color.

Hmm... That "Hayley Attwell as the Doctor" picture didn't look half bad.

I would've been up for it! Bring on the variety, I don't mind. :P

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The only reason to keep the Doctor male is because that's what he's always been.  Unlike Bond, the Doctor is in no way defined by gender.  There's not one key characteristic across all incarnations that would limit the character to male.  The concept of the show invites changes of gender and skin color.

This!

54 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

She's got a lovely pair of sonics. 

3 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

She's got a lovely pair of sonics. 

I don't give a rat's ass about her flaming sonics!

4 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :kaboom:

I rewatched "Heaven Sent"/"Hell Bent" last night and boy oh boy those are amazing, all-time classic episodes.  I really think people are going to realize how underrated the Capaldi era has been in a few years.  Seasons 9 and (so far) 10 especially are both among the best the show has ever done.  Season 9 is only growing and growing in my estimation as time goes by.  His big speech in "The Zygon Inversion" is probably the best acting by any Doctor in the entire new series.

I hope Moffat can keep up how good season 10 is and really send Capaldi and himself out with a bang.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

His big speech in "The Zygon Inversion" is probably the best acting by any Doctor in the entire new series.

I have to second that; that is one helluva amazing speech!

In the words of another Doctor: "Fantastic!" :D