La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Anticipation thread

Jay

A cracked case is bound to arrive at some point or another. It's not the label's fault that the case(s) gets cracked. Generally it's the post office' fault for the cracked case. Blank CD cases are rather cheap these days, especially if you buy them in bulk. The only cracked CD case I've had come to me was the FSM release for Star Trek III. I ordered that one from Peter and he said the case arrived to him like that. He was kind enough and threw in a blank case to replace the cracked one.

It irritates the hell out of me when people blame the labels themselves for cracked cases. As I said it's NOT the label's fault that they arrive that way.

A cracked case is bound to arrive at some point or another. It's not the label's fault that the case(s) gets cracked. Generally it's the post office' fault for the cracked case.

It irritates the hell out of me when people blame the labels themselves for cracked cases. As I said it's NOT the label's fault that they arrive that way.

Well, some would blame the poor packaging! They could use cardboard CD mailers, for instance, instead of these padded envelopes...

How do you figure that? I mean, for sure? I've never gotten a damaged case from anywhere else. Every part of the case that contained the Lost in Space set was sized incorrectly and the thing can't even properly close. How they sealed the fucker is beyond me. The booklet was crammed in there and slightly torn since it can't fit and the disc in the back falls out. Ever since that happened, I concluded that the issue with cracked and/or crappy cases is to do with whoever is manufacturing the sets. So, I do blame La-La Land, of course. To say nothing of how they run the rest of their company.

I'm going to resist listening to this show. It's been 2 years since I've listened to Hook, I'm not going to break that drought for anything but the real deal.

As long as the disks have no scratches, I don;t care about cracked cases. I just replace it

Digipacks with broken tooths are another matter

Again, when I pay 38 bucks for CD + shipping, I don't want to worry about replacing cracked cases.

That the CDs should be in flawless condition is not even a question! Duh.

Amazon is way better... at least, in this regard.

If all you are worried about is a damn cracked case that can easily be replaced, then don't buy the freaking CD. Quit bitching about cracked cases, they're easily replaceable.

If all you are worried about is a damn cracked case that can easily be replaced, then don't buy the freaking CD. Quit bitching about cracked cases, they're easily replaceable.

:rolleyes:

I will buy the CD, all right. But as a consumer, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a product that I spend money for to be in perfect condition (and not: "Well, that part's easily replaceable anyway!"). At least, where I come from.

I don't know whose fault it is but WHENEVER i have got a 2cd from lalaland (3 times so far) it's ALWAYS cracked!

I have never received a cracked case from anyone else.

i think i will go with SAE, even if it has higher shipping..

and yes, when i pay, i expect the product to be perfect.

the other times i searched nearly 5-6 stores to find a jewel case that resembles the cracked ones..

Maybe the guys at La-La Land aren't aware of this (admittedly slight) problem.

Somebody should tell them! It's fixed easily enough, after all. Just use CD mailers!

As long as the disks have no scratches, I don;t care about cracked cases. I just replace it

Digipacks with broken tooths are another matter

For real. They are the real enemy. I returned a copy of the complete Jaws because it turned out that weird shifting in the case was the disc. Quint must have taken the "jaws" that hold the CD. Anyway, when I exchanged it, the other copy was like that too. "Screw it", I decided.

ah, I had problems with this c.d. too. I exchanged it too and the second was busted also

my CE3K Collector's Edition has the same problem

I was pretty disappointed since I wasn't earning money back then as I do in my old age. Getting a new CD like that was more of an event that you saved up for and made a trip to the store by someone else's vehicle.

These days require patience of a different sort. Not saving money. But it's payed off!

Well, some would blame the poor packaging! They could use cardboard CD mailers, for instance, instead of these padded envelopes...

SAE send their discs bubble wrapped in cardboard boxes. Sometimes a jewel case gets cracked or squeezed. Hardly their fault. Putting the whole order in padded envelopes might help, but it probably would also double shipping costs, and they're high enough already (not their fault either).

I think it's very reasonable to expect a CD to be in perfect condition when you order it new. Especially since these CDs from the specialty labels cost a lot more than the average CD (of course the price increase makes sense given the limited market, but still). That said, I've never had a problem with LLL (although I don't think I've ever ordered a 2 CD set from them).

That said, I've never had a problem with LLL (although I don't think I've ever ordered a 2 CD set from them).

well, if you order this time, let us know. I'm curious to know.

I have this problem only with 2 cd cases. I never had a problem with single cds from Lalaland either..

I think it's very reasonable to expect a CD to be in perfect condition when you order it new. Especially since these CDs from the specialty labels cost a lot more than the average CD (of course the price increase makes sense given the limited market, but still). That said, I've never had a problem with LLL (although I don't think I've ever ordered a 2 CD set from them).

So you never got 1941, Godzilla (when it was released), Independence Day, Batman, Star Trek V, etc..? All 2-CD sets.

So you never got 1941, Godzilla (when it was released), Independence Day, Batman, Star Trek V, etc..? All 2-CD sets.

He may mean he didn't puchase a 2 disc set directly from them before.

He may mean he didn't puchase a 2 disc set directly from them before.

Never thought of that...

The last 2-CD La-La Land set I got was Die Hard and I bought it directly from them. It came in great shape, no cracks or anything.

Depending on where you live a lot of people in the postal business can mis-handle packages and there would still be damage...even if they have padded envelopes.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with cracked CDs fron LLL. Intrada is a different story though, almost all the 2 CD sets I get from them are broken, even though they use the cardboard shipping boxes.

I hope they put the film's dialogue over the tracks to allow me to better re-experience the film.

:lol:

I don't know why some people are hoping the vocals will be overlayed with "Show Us The Hook". I bet you they won't be....

I was always glad those lyrics weren't on the OST, honestly. I remember when I first listened to it I was actually surprised they weren't, but in a good way. These days they probably would have been. Much easier to add them with the DVD/BLU RAY as a source than trying to remove them.

One day to go! And I would not be pleased if there were pirates chanting HOOK! all over Presenting Hook or any other track for that matter.

Hey, I've got a crazy idea -- let's talk about HOOK! :john:

You brought up interesting information about Hook and the genesis of the whole project and its development in Tim's show on Saturday. It was great to have such knowledgeable person and equally enthusiastic and knowledgeable host talking about the music. Your mention of the Williams on Williams album and the wonderful Hook suite was particularly great since those arrangements deserve all the praise they can get. I just took a listen to the whole 5-part suite yesterday and it is a truly excellent presentation and distillation of some of the main thematic ideas of the score. The development of the themes in the concert versions is inventive and well-rounded and a joy to hear every time. Makes you wish Williams had time, energy and inspiration to create similar ones for all his scores. :)

That said I can't wait to hear this score, one of my top-5 JW scores really, in expanded form. I think no other JW score quite captures the same feel even though his unmistakable signature sound is all over the music. Williams brings enormous variety to the music yet it is still of one tapestry. The exuberance of his themes, the ballet like fluidity and emotional resonance make this an all-around masterpiece to me. It could be nostalgia, it could be that Williams appeals to the child in me but everything somehow falls into place with this music.

The 5-movement Hook suite is certainly one of Williams' best in terms of further expansion/development of the original material--I have a soft spot for the lovely Prokofiev-esque interplay between bassoon and pizzicato strings in "Smee's Plan". The only small thing that bugs me is how he slowed down the tempo of "Lost Boys Ballet". This is a piece that needs to be played FAST! :)

The 5-movement Hook suite is certainly one of Williams' best in terms of further expansion/development of the original material--I have a soft spot for the lovely Prokofiev-esque interplay between bassoon and pizzicato strings in "Smee's Plan". The only small thing that bugs me is how he slowed down the tempo of "Lost Boys Ballet". This is a piece that needs to be played FAST! :)

Slowing down of The Lost Boys Ballet seems to be one of those decisions Williams tends to make with some of his faster material when reshaping it to concert form. Jim's New Life on the same album is equally slowed down. And I agree that they lose some of their virtuosity and zest when played so slowly. Reminds me of the concert where they played the initial chase from Indy's Very First Adventure with reduced tempo. It sucked the life out of the music and made me feel like we were experiencing it in slow motion. :P

When he doesn't have to keep up with the film's rhythm and pace, Williams tends to give a bit more breathing space to his action material for concert performance purposes. It's quite comprehensible. But in this case he slowed it down a tad too much, imho, taking out some of the piece's inner brilliance. It seems he wanted to give it the feel of a rambunctious waltz instead of a peppy scherzo. However, it's always refreshing to have different interpretations of known material.

In my opinon the 5 track suite on the Williams on Williams album has one big weakness . It is the first track "Flight to Neverland". It lacks all the energy and oomph of the Flying sequence film version . It is played too conservatively without fire and soul. Like if the musicians conducted a learning to know rehearsel instead of an album recording or concert.

Just compare these two tracks and you will immediately see for yourself how much more unengaging the Williams on Williams version is in comparsion to the film version.

So people, how many copies of Hook will you order tomorrow?

2. One for myself and one for a friend who is a big fan of this particular JW score and asked me to order for him as well.

So people, how many copies of Hook will you order tomorrow?

2. One for myself and one for a friend who is a big fan of this particular JW score and asked me to order for him as well.

Hey, I didn't ask you to do this. But that's nice nonetheless. That will save me the trouble of having to pay shipping fees. Thanks!

I make sure you are in for a surprise in 2 weeks.

Finally got a chance to listen to Tim Burden's radio show, and it was quite a treat!

It was nice to finally hear what MV Gerhard and Matt Verboys sound like. Their discussion about their label and the current state of film scoring with Tim was quite a treat. Made me miss the old FSM podcasts a bit. One thing I should point out is that when MV hums the "Stick With Me" theme (aka Hook's March), he accidentally calls it "Low Below" instead of "Stick With Me" ("Low Below" is the "pirate theme", the one introduced by male choir in the Looney Wendy scene).

The second half of the program with John Takis was quite a pleasure as well. Having already met and had an extended dinner with John I knew what he sounded like, and I also already knew all the information he relayed about the deleted scenes, restructuring of the middle of the film, and other tidbits about the score, but it was nice to hear it all explained well and have that information made available to the general public (since most of what he said is only briefly touched upon in the final liner notes of the new set).

Was nice to hear the trailer music played at the correct speed as well :)

Yeah MV and Matt were refreshingly engaged. First interview I've heard in a long time where the interviewees were as enthusiastic as the host.

Just got to remember about tomorrow (before anyone says - this score isn't particularly a grail to me, and I love Williams' OST arrangement, but I know there's some great material missing).

Yeah MV and Matt were refreshingly engaged. First interview I've heard in a long time where the interviewees were as enthusiastic as the host.

Indeed. And it is refreshing to hear both parties "talking shop" with each other so effortlessly and how an interviewer/host is someone who obviously knows the music intimately and the guests are so enthusiastic and articulate about the subject of film music business.

A lot of these interviews feel like public relations statements; Matt and MV just sound like two awesome guys talking about their craft. It's refreshing!

BTW, the "Slicing The Hand" cue John Takis talked about is available on the pre-Concorde bootleg as "Lost Boy's Lesson".

The "Believe Your Eyes" cue he talked about is on the pre-Concorde boot as "Goodnight Neverland" and on the Concorde boot stuffed into the end of "The Never-Feast"

I'm glad that Mike and Matt agreed that it was a wasted opportunity on Hook's release for Blu-Ray. Basically a bare bones release just like the DVD version. I'm not sure if it was Spielberg's decision to release the movie like that or strictly Sony's.

The Blu-ray release was indeed in wasted opportunity. They could at least include the special features from the region 2/4 releases (theatrical trailer, 7-minute making of featurette, 3 galleries, set-top game and talent profiles).