The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

I suspect someone unfamiliar with the semantics of film score releases has written that.

Yeah, obviously by "complete score" they meant the soundtrack has highlights spanning the entire film.

I don't want the complete score released first. It just feels right to have a jumbled album edit released years before any expanded score is discussed.

Can't tell whether or not your being serious but I actually sort of agree.

I asked the Star Wars Facebook if this is really going to be the complete score. Maybe I should tweet at them.

I'm not sure if they would respond, but doesn't hurt to try. I think it's very unlikely it's going to include the actual complete score.

What's the difference between the standard and deluxe editions? A few more tracks on the deluxe?

The deluxe edition comes with some kind of Star Wars action figure, toy, etc., that would be my guess.

CD content is probably the same, unless they decide to include a bonus track a la "On the Conveyor Belt."

Great news about the release date, though. Getting excited about this. Only 3 and a half months to go! Woohoo!!

Edit: I somehow can't imagine they would call an edition "Deluxe Edition" just because they use digipack! Is a standard jewel case not better than a digipack, anyway? If that was really the only difference, the word deluxe has no meaning whatsoever.

The ASIN of the standard edition (I'm assuming it's standard based on the price even though it's not labeled as such) at amazon.com is the same as the ASIN of the deluxe edition at amazon.co.uk. The amazon.co.uk standard edition has a different ASIN.

Let's just wait for the info on the regular and deluxe editions and how they differ from one another. Even the Amazon cover art is just temporary at this point.

Only idiots wait for information.

Thus sayeth the great book of JWFan wisdom.

Speculation does pass the time. They give us morsels each month and we jump to panicky conclusions. So the wheel turns.

A.I. showed John Williams the way of the complete score. After years of meticulously crafting his own albums, he has finally realized the only way to present his music is complete and chronological.

RIP Thor.

I find it extremely disturbing that a post mentioning Thor's death got so many likes...

I am sure most were liking the first sentence, not the litte addendum. I certainly hope so.

But it would be nice if JW saw the light of C&C.

Glad it's coming out when it does. Seems like a perfect release date. :)

Hmm... two versions. Bet the jewel release will contain 60-minute of music whereas the digipak one has some extra track(s).

Karol

Let's just wait for the info on the regular and deluxe editions and how they differ from one another. Even the Amazon cover art is just temporary at this point.

With all the nostalgia overload, I can see them using that cover. Seriously.

Who knows what changed between the Indy & Hook releases and A.I.'s release. Williams was purportedly super impressed with the package and didn't request any changes. Maybe he just looks back on certain scores with a different level of appreciation?

It would be a godsend if the marketing arm of Disney, noticing a huge upswing in pre-orders for the OST for TFA, get into Williams ear and ask him to assemble a special 2-disc release. Stranger things have happened!

Who knows what changed between the Indy & Hook releases and A.I.'s release. Williams was purportedly super impressed with the package and didn't request any changes. Maybe he just looks back on certain scores with a different level of appreciation?

It would be a godsend if the marketing arm of Disney, noticing a huge upswing in pre-orders for the OST for TFA, get into Williams ear and ask him to assemble a special 2-disc release. Stranger things have happened!

I'm thinking they will be flooded with Pre-Orders :D

You can't go past a YouTube, Slashfilm, Deadline, Variety, AintItCool or ComingSoon comments section without people saying one of the best things about getting a new Star Wars film is getting a new John Williams Star Wars score.

I reckon this score will sell like absolute hotcakes.

Considering all big blockbusters nowadays seem to have multiple soundtrack releases - including so-called "Deluxe Edition" to feature more music - I think there's a good chance we'll get more music than usual. Will the uber-complete release be among them? I don't think so (since this is LA recording, the amount of re-use fees is gonna be huge), but I'm confident we'll get probably more than the usual 70 minutes single disc release. Let's wait and see.

Just imagine if we discover that there's over 3 hours of complete score, factoring in revisions, re-writes and alternates.

Boy, will that 60 minute OST (with rehashes of Main Title and End Credits) seem insufficient then!

I don't want the complete score released first. It just feels right to have a jumbled album edit released years before any expanded score is discussed.

Can't tell whether or not your being serious but I actually sort of agree.  
My being sarcastic. Your right.

Industry rumours suggest Williams' original 2 hours of music was rejected outright by Spielberg. Thomas Newman was hired and recorded an entirely different score, before Williams was reinstated and began recording alternate main title cues.

Obviously this bubbled over into an outright fallout over the approach to Bridge of Spies. Williams wanted to go with a heavily Soviet-inspired Mescherin-esque electronic score, but Spielberg wanted brooding and dark. The writing was on the wall when Williams didn't invite Spielberg to his annual pencil purchasing event at Walmart.

Well, common sense is common sense.

Spielberg doesn't reject a John Williams score without merit. I'm told the early sketches were little more than a re-working of Spalko's theme from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Is there an advantage to ordering from Disney Emporium rather than Amazon?

I'd say the advantage goes the other way. Amazon is generally good at making sure the product arrives at your house the day it's officially released if you pre-order. Ordering directly from Disney, who knows when they'll get around to putting your copy in the mail, especially if they're flooded with pre-orders.