Universal Centennial Logo - 100th Anniversary Logo

The graphics are spectacular; the OTT music is but a shadow of Jerry's original.

My subwoofer won't even bother trying to register those lame-arsed BUM-BUMs. And I used to fucking love those bits as well.

And the snares... wtf?

I agree. Tyler adds some things that don't need to be there, but he stays true to Jerry's theme.

But honestly, could they not have used the old recording with these new, very cool visuals?

Nah...they need to make EVERYTHING flashy!!! Including the sound.

I obviously like the old recording better, but while this might be a tad bit overdone, I think its still done well enough!

My subwoofer won't even bother trying to register those lame-arsed BUM-BUMs. And I used to fucking love those bits as well.

They are almost the point of the entire piece. And yes they are too soft.

Jerry knew how to land his DUMS!

They are almost the point of the entire piece. And yes they are too soft.

Jerry knew how to land his DUMS!

Yeah, the BOOMs!!! The BOOMs are what made this fanfare so special!!!

It sounds fine to me.

It sounds ok, but they messed with Jerry's steamlined, but ultra effective orchestration and instrumentation.

This new version has a lot more going on, but it's slightly less effective.

Joel McNeely explains it here

5.1 is great for Jerry's superior original.

To me it says "it's fuckin' movie time!"

"Monstrosity" is a bit strong isn't it? I think he did a fine job with it...would you have liked Djawadi to have done it instead? The fanfare would have been reduced to some fuzzy pop tune, and your BUM BUMs would sure be affected...

It sounds fine to me.

It sounds ok, but they messed with Jerry's steamlined, but ultra effective orchestration and instrumentation.

This new version has a lot more going on, but it's slightly less effective.

Joel McNeely explains it here

5.1 is great for Jerry's superior original.

To me it says "it's fuckin' movie time!"

Yep, Jerry's motto is "less is more".

Ha ha ha!

Although, Alex would take issue with that image - the deviant black shadow directly above Paxton's head completely ruins the composition and framing of the shot. The film is an unmitigated failure as a result.

I don't like the new graphics or the new recording of the music. There was nothing wrong with the existing one.

Ya, the snare drums was the big problem with this new version. Otherwise, the tribute is decent enough.

I dislike it, although the original is so iconic and has been heard so many times, I don't envy Tyler's job. It sounds a little too over the top for my taste, with the snare drums and choir a step too far. Rather than beefing up the existing logo, perhaps they should have merged an older logo's music into the new one to create a sense of history.

As for the graphics, I got goosebumps when I saw the lights turning on - always a good sign!

I liked it until the chords he's added over the first bar - it takes away from the simplicity and strength of Goldsmith's melody, and also means a rather sudden change of tone when the 'b' part comes in.

Choir is okay I guess - nothing against that really.

The graphics are really neat, but he's made the music just a little too layered for me.

The rearranged theme is okay -- the original 1997 fanfare is just better, simpler and more powerful. I don't understand the fanfare Universal made about hiring the people at Weta Digital to design a new opening for the 100th anniversary... it's not that impressive but it's clean and well-designed.

Here's what I got from the new version:

1. A rising bass line, doubled with choir during the repeat of the A theme.

2. Snare drum in the end.

3. Transposed down a key.

4. Removed cymbal crash when B theme begins.

5. Low brass removed from the "DUM DUMs", aka bass/snare drum hits.

6. Choir during B theme?

Feel free to add more to this list.

Still like the Horner version the best. I do like the graphics, as I always hated the modern Universal logo. The new arrangement is alright, I just would have done without the military like drums at the end.

Still like the Horner version the best. I do like the graphics, as I always hated the modern Universal logo. The new arrangement is alright, I just would have done without the military like drums at the end.

Huh? Horner?

If this were something new that someone had just come up with, I'd be rather impressed. But it's a downgrade from the spectacular Goldsmith original, which very well be my favorite logo music of all time. (The Fox fanfare gives it a run for its money, for obvious sentimental reasons.)

Huh? Horner?

The theme for Universal before Goldsmith's fanfare came along. It's quite good actually. The Goldsmith one is just better ;)

If this were something new that someone had just come up with, I'd be rather impressed. But it's a downgrade from the spectacular Goldsmith original, which very well be my favorite logo music of all time. (The Fox fanfare gives it a run for its money, for obvious sentimental reasons.)

Yeah, that and the fact that David Newman stayed faithful to his father's original orchestration and tweaked it very little when he re-recorded it back in 1997.

Huh? Horner?

It's quite good actually. The Goldsmith one is just better ;)

I never knew this was made by Horner. Still doesn't even matched up to Goldsmith's though.

typically Universal doesn't have a f'ing clue on how to hand it's vast treasures.

Jerry's music is fine, this alternate is FINE, but for the 100th anniversary why not take a look back at the beauty of the music from the 30's intro, the ones that graced their classic horror films.

I can hear it in my head as I type.

Here's the complete version of Horner's theme which was first heard before Back To The Future Part III. Even though I love Jerry's 1997 theme, Horner is the one I'm that most fond of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cADCSq9dylo

-Erik-

Hey, this one is great too! Didn't know it was Horner. I'd say I like both equally, that is Goldsmith's and Horner's.

Karol

The new one is fine...things have to change with the times, and Goldsmth's superb fanfare was due for a spruce-up. Is the new one better? No....is it just - fine? Yep....