Fox's Marvel Universe (X-Men, Legion, Deadpool, Fantastic Four, etc)

Jay

It's the same as what was seen at San Diego

Actually, it's a wee bit different. For example, the Stan Lee cameo was in the San Diego version, but not in this one. There a few other little bits missing.

They are in the trailer. Just not in THIS trailer - this is the "SFW" version. Click the link at the end of the video to see the (near-enough) SDCC trailer.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty glowing critical consensus though.

Dull and downbeat, this Fantastic Four proves a woefully misguided attempt to translate a classic comic series without the humor, joy, or colorful thrills that made it great.

Ouch.

I mean I know all the trailers looked awful. But I was thinking this would be one of those movies that was marketed really poorly and ends up being some kind of a critical darling, with the solid cast and team behind it. But I guess it's just what it looks like, a real turd.

Yeah, this is probably a John Carter situation all over again.

I think this film's mistake seems to be taking a goofy group of people who are made of poor-CGI rocks, able to stretch, burst into flame and create force-fields into some kind of dramatic hard sci-fi flick.

Looks more like a grim DC movie than a fun MCU movie.

Fantastic Four needs the Ant-man / Guardians of the Galaxy / Iron Man 1 look and tone, not the Winter Soldier / Man of Steel / BvS look and tone

Yea, the end of the review really paints a sad picture

signs of its troubled production are everywhere, from the multitude of plot holes to the absence of key scenes depicted in the trailer (including what probably would have been the most thrilling action sequence of the movie, a shot of The Thing plummeting from the sky, an affixed camera capturing his descent). And then there’s the film’s ridiculously rushed final act, in which our primary antagonist, one of the most iconic villains in comics history, makes an appearance so belated and inconsequential that it feels like an afterthought. Fantastic Four, awkwardly structured and basically excitement free, is doomed long before he shows up.

I guess Marvel will soon get the characters back...

I guess the previous 2 films aren't that bad

No! There are still bloody awful!

The highly comedic tone of those 2 films were probably better suited to the source material though. And it atleast tried to deal with characters struggling with the effects of their powers.

I think a re-evaluation is due.

So Trank is blaming the studios for making a shitty movie?

Kind of. After he screened his rough cut for a test screening audience, the studio demanded reshoots, so supposedly there's a lot of last minute reshoots in the final cut in place of his original stuff. Shots shown in the early trailers like The Thing soaring downward are gone (along with the entire scene that was a part of).

So that's what he's talking about.

I think it's safe to say we won't see Fantastic Four 2 on June 2017.

With the movie tanking this badly, I expect Fox to give the rights back to Marvel, a la Sony with Ghost Rider after Ghost Ride 2 bombed horribly.

I think it's safe to say we won't see Fantastic Four 2 on June 2017.

With the movie tanking this badly, I expect Fox to give the rights back to Marvel, a la Sony with Ghost Rider after Ghost Ride 2 bombed horribly.

#1 Heh Fantastic Four 2 ;)

#2 You mean Tranking?

You'd think a company like Fox would learn from past mistakes... *cough* Alien 3 *cough*.

Ironically, for all the money they were probably trying to save by cutting 3 action scenes, they likely spent twice as much on exhaustive re-shoots and a half-finished-then-cancelled 3D conversion. And for all their efforts, they're now looking at an embarrassing box office loss.

I don't think a film studio who's only purpose is to make money wouldn't have the oversight to know how to budget a film's production. They took all the necessary steps to minimize the loss they knew they were gonna have.

It's possible with those action scenes intact, and the vision of the director they hired and trusted in the first place fulfilled, the movie would have been better received, though.

The number of times studio executives have ruined films far outweighs the times they have improved them.

I liked Chronicle a lot, so I'll give Trank the benefit of the doubt. I reckon he knew what he was doing.

Problem is he was trying to make a completely different movie to what Fox wanted. He was after a body-horror thriller, Fox wanted The Avengers.