The Marvel Movie Scores Discussions Thread!

Mr. Who

What's your favorite Marvel Score?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Marvel Score?

• Iron Man (Ramin Djawadi, 2008)
    • The Incredible Hulk (Craig Armstrong, 2008)
    • Iron Man 2 (John Debney, 2010)
    • Thor (Patrick Doyle, 2011)
    • Captain America: The First Avenger (Alan Silvestri, 2011)
    • The Avengers (Alan Silvestri, 2012)
    • Iron Man 3 (Brian Tyler, 2013)
    • Thor: The Dark World (Brian Tyler, 2013)
    • Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Henry Jackman, 2014)
    • Guardians of the Galaxy (Tyler Bates, 2014)
    • The Avengers: Age of Ultron (Brian Tyler & Danny Elfman, 2015) Not yet released
  2. 2. What's your least favorite Marvel Score?

• Iron Man (Ramin Djawadi, 2008)
    • The Incredible Hulk (Craig Armstrong, 2008)
    • Iron Man 2 (John Debney, 2010)
    • Thor (Patrick Doyle, 2011)
    • Captain America: The First Avenger (Alan Silvestri, 2011)
    • The Avengers (Alan Silvestri, 2012)
    • Iron Man 3 (Brian Tyler, 2013)
    • Thor: The Dark World (Brian Tyler, 2013)
    • Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Henry Jackman, 2014)
    • Guardians of the Galaxy (Tyler Bates, 2014)
    • The Avengers: Age of Ultron (Brian Tyler & Danny Elfman, 2015) Not yet released

So Avengers Age of Ultron is coming up in there coming week! Thought I'd make a poll and a thread where everyone can discuss the already released marvel scores and of course the upcoming ones!

What's your favorite and least favorite Marvel scores in order, and why?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that score is better than all of these mundane efforts.

That might be true (I haven't listened to it, nor seen the movie) but I decided not to include it because as Stefanos said, it is not part of the MCU.

You're wrong.

It was initially developed as a sequel to Hulk, but then Ed Norton demanded rewrites, which separated all ties it originally had with Hulk.

Hulk is now a standalone Marvel film that is not a part of the MCU, like the old Captain America and Punisher movies, the Blade movies, Daredevil and Electra, Howard The Duck, etc. All those characters rights have returned to Marvel and are in or will be in the MCU now, but their old films are not part of it.

Well that score is better than all of these mundane efforts.

My thoughts as well. I don't think any of the listed scores is worth owning

I like Thor and The Avengers. Haven't given much thought to any others. Tyler's Thor sequel is probably my least favorite just because of how it compares with Doyle's.

Djawadi's Iron Man is the only one I don't have—oddly, it's been out of print for years. So I can't speak for that one. Otherwise...

Doyle's Thor is probably my favorite. Incredible Hulk is a close second.

Least favorite might be Iron Man 2. The only stuff that really sticks with me is the Total Recall theme and the Richard Sherman piece.

You're wrong.

It was initially developed as a sequel to Hulk, but then Ed Norton demanded rewrites, which separated all ties it originally had with Hulk.

Loose sort of sequel would be a better description here, I guess. ;)

Karol

You're wrong.

Karol

But it doesn't separate ties with Hulk. It's literally a continuation, just with different actors. Banner is in hiding in the beginning of the film because of what happened in Lee's film. He's already the Hulk, he already has the relationship with Connelly/Tyler.

You're wrong.

Karol

But it doesn't separate ties with Hulk. It's literally a continuation, just with different actors. Banner is in hiding in the beginning of the film because of what happened in Lee's film. He's already the Hulk, he already has the relationship with Connelly/Tyler.

You can treat it as such, of course. But it's not really true. The origin of Hulk is different in both films - the very accident that creates him is different. In Ang Lee's film it was about cell regeneration, in 2008 it is a super soldier program.

Karol

You're wrong.

Karol

You can treat it as such, of course. But it's not really true. The origin of Hulk is different in both films - the very accident that creates him is different. In Ang Lee's film it was about cell regeneration, in 2008 it is a super soldier program.

Karol

I don't remember either film well enough to know for sure, but I definitely remember references when Ed Norton meets up with Liv Tyler for the first time.

You're wrong.

Karol

Karol

I don't remember either film well enough to know for sure, but I definitely remember references when Ed Norton meets up with Liv Tyler for the first time.

OK. Let me explain it to you differently. The two are not one and the same story. It's different studios developing same property. But... Marvel was wise to make it vague enough so that the audience doesn't have to watch Hulk's origin twice. Hence, the "connections". If you are an average viewer, you might treat it as a continuation. But it's not really.

Karol

Yeah, exactly. The make that connection even stronger in The Avengers. They mention that Banner's thing was supposed to replicate their one-off success with Cap. Didn't work. Or something like that.

Karol

Yes, for instance Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy are way better movies than the ones before The Avengers.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the weakest one for me. Djawadi's score entertained me more than Jackman's score if we count the few minutes of guilty pleasure.

I do not really have a favorite but I voted for Thor because it is my most played score of the listed scores. Haven't heard the latest Avengers score though (not released yet but I see people have voted for it).

Opened the thread, looked at the list of options in the poll, realized I didn't own a single one of them and have no desire to, either.

Frankly I'm more interested in Elfman's AAOU tracks than I am in listening to any of these existing scores in full

Worst: definitely Iron Man.

Best: I picked "Guardians of the Galaxy," although I did enjoy Tyler's "Iron Man 3" and "Thor 2" scores as well. Silvestri had good themes but the entirety of the scores never did much for me.

I don't know if any of these scores is really great. Every one of these scores basically has a handful of good/cool moments, peppered with fairly generic/unexciting action music.

Yeah, these aren't great scores but some themes are cool and as someone said, they have their moments (except for maybe winter soldier and the not so nice ones.) Also really looking forward to what elfman wrote for Age of Ultron! Hopefully he'll end up scoring Infinity War!

The only scores here that are somewhat worth checking out are Silvestri's Captain America and Doyle's Thor. The prefer the former, though it really brings nothing new to the table. The latter is too loud (oh...the drums), and I find Doyle's harmonic language a bit bland for my tastes.

The Avengers is the best one so far. With the most impressive superhero theme.

The theme is awesome. However the score in general is a bit bland IMO.

The only scores here that are somewhat worth checking out are Silvestri's Captain America and Doyle's Thor. The prefer the former, though it really brings nothing new to the table. The latter is too loud (oh...the drums), and I find Doyle's harmonic language a bit bland for my tastes.

Cap also is my favorite one as a matter of fact. It has a really strong theme and some good classically orchestral music! It has to be said that Doyle couldn't write freely because of the director or the studio.

The theme is quite bland too.

On a compositional level maybe. But it's such a powerhouse of awesomeness. Especially in the latter parts of the film, starting with it's big "I'm always angry" moment.

I can't recall Doyle's theme.