The Long Goodbye complete score released by Quartet Records

Omen II

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup its on Screen Archives now

http://www.screenarc...E-1000-EDITION/

I'm waiting for it to show up on Movie Music where I'll order it along with Studs Lonigan and some other score to get $1 shipping.

It might finally be time to add Stepmom or Seven Years In Tibet to my collection!

I should've checked this thread before making a purchase. I forgot about MovieMusic and haven't thought at all about Studs Lonigan. But I bundled The Long Goodbye with Mancini's Sunset (which interests me slightly more than TLG but I want both) and Goldsmith's Sleeping with the Enemy, which I should have bought a while ago, from SAE, which is notorious for not allowing me to add an item to the order without making a new order and cancelling the first. Colour me too lazy to do that at this point.

Amazing, I have both Stepmom and Seven Years in Tibet, and I do enjoy the latter even though the former is in my "waiting to get tagged" queue.

Wait...a new Williams score is released and its thread gets to page 2, and King Mark hasn't posted yet? Is he feeling ok?

I'm waiting for it to show up on Movie Music where I'll order it along with Studs Lonigan and some other score to get $1 shipping.

It might finally be time to add Stepmom or Seven Years In Tibet to my collection!

I like Stepmom very much (the Days Between alone is worth the purchase), but Seven Years is one of the great works in Williams canon. A perfect marriage between the grandiose and personal drama, between the epic score and chamber music

It's available on Movie Music now!

http://www.moviemusi...53/longgoodbye/

Ordered with Studs Lonigan and Seven Years In Tibet!

The Long Goodbye (Quartet Records SCE046) qty = 1 $19.99 each

Studs Lonigan (remastered) (Quartet Records QRSCE026) qty = 1 $19.99 each

Seven Years in Tibet (Sony Classical SK 60271) qty = 1 $8.99 each

Items Subtotal: $48.97

Sales Tax: $0.00

Shipping: $1.00

Order Total: $49.97

I like Stepmom very much (the Days Between alone is worth the purchase), but Seven Years is one of the great works in Williams canon. A perfect marriage between the grandiose and personal drama, between the epic score and chamber music

Well said Romão! :)

Couldn't agree more.

Ordered. Total cost in US dollars came to $33.75. Not cheap, but not bad for a limited edition item shipped from Spain.

Miguel, looks like the doorbell isn't included ;)

How dare they, market an un-complete release!!!! I'm canceling my order a.s.a.p.

:joke:

Looking at the track list and reading the information I have to say they probably did a wise move by sequencing the album as they did. But the completist in me hopes for a chronological track list in the liner notes. ;)

I'll be keeping it in album order. Film order doesn't mean jack for a movie I haven't seen and don't plan to anytime soon. Besides, sequencing the tracks like that basically makes two "sides:" one of all the arrangements of the main theme on side 1, and the rest of the tracks on side 2. Perfect.

In this case it is absolutely true as many of the film cues consist of quick switches between these different variations depending on the source the music is coming from. :)

Ordered!

Ordered from SAE with None But the Brave. :)

Good choice. It's not Williams' most interesting score but it has some cool moments, and it's fascinating from a evolutionary point of view. I think it may also include the beginnings of the boom-tzzzz, but it's hard to say for sure.

Here it is a first attempt at the cronological cue list. This is a quite interesting thing, as you get little excerpts every now and then, and without listening to the CD in full, is hard to be sure...

Main Title Montage

This is uses a number of recordings, but since the CD includes that full section...

The Border (underscore)

Jack Riley and Ensemble Rehearsal (?)

At this point of the film, Marlowe enters a bar and finds Riley rehearsing at the piano, but it's unlikely to be from this track...

The Long Goodbye (from car radio)

I believe it's the version with Clydie King

Love Theme

Door Bell (unreleased) :P

Shame they missed this 4 seconds of score, the most important cue of the whole work :D

The Long Goodbye (with Clydie King) - short excerpt

The Long Goodbye (sitar)

Night Talk (?)

From the title and timing, it's likely to be this cue that is used during Marty's visit to Marlowe's apartment, but will only be sure when I listen to the actual CD

Clydie King with piano (?)

Sounds like King singing, but just with piano accompaniment...

Guitar Nostalgia

The Mexican Funeral

Beach party choir - Jack Riley and Ensemble Rehearsal (?)

Not sure if it is the exact same take...

Mark Rydell singing - unreleased

Another very important cue left behind... :D

John Williams at the piano

Marlowe in Mexico

Finale (underscore)

There are some tracks that I can't recall from the film, others that I'm not sure, and I should watch the film again to check for sure which other cues are underscore or source.

In a few days I'll be updating this crono track list properly ;)

I was a little paranoid about missing this one, but fortunately it was up early enough this morning that I was able to order it before work.

Really curious to see the film, but I'm reluctant to pick up a used DVD because I feel like it could hit Blu-ray any time now. (Twilight Time, perhaps?)

The samples played just fine.

Just checked their Facebook page and there are only 80 copies remaining :o

So anyone interested should run buying one now!

This is one film I would buy in a heartbeep on bluray. I have the DVD and love it. Usually, I always find the films lacking something from the original novel, but this is one of those cases that the film is an entity on its own -- more of a story freely based on a novel, enhancing it, than an adaptation. I know that "The Big Sleep" is a Hollywood classic -- and was even adapted with the help of Raymond Chandler, but I was never convinced by the movie when compared with the book. But with "The Long Goodbye" I love both book and film, and they are both excellent in there own ways, without one being an adaptation of the other. Actually, I even find the film more noireish than the book :P

Thanks for the preliminary chronological track list Miguel! :)

No problem. It's likely to have some mistakes, even more because I haven't watched the film in over a year... maybe tonight ;)

I ordered this yesterday morning whilst sipping a strong coffee. ( Its how I like ordering my scores). I did not listen to samples, I want it to be completely new to me as I have not heard a note of the song or the other album that was released with fitzwilly. I'm excited.

That was this morning, and that's through Quartet. The retailers will probably have more. But definitely order very soon I guess. Damn limited editions.

The small pressing ones are the worst as a 1000 copy release usually makes everybody panic and buy the score ASAP. And when someone is not in a position to buy the album immediately for what ever reason, they obviously can miss out on it completely.

Well not all scores sell out by this logic. But many do.

Apparently Images doesn't have such die hard fans and the Long Goodbye obviously has a larger following although both scores are some of the most adored by film music historians in Williams' ouvre. I remember going to an all Williams concert here in Finland with a pre-eminent Finnish film historian hosting. Not only did he without much subtlety belittle the Star Wars films and American film making, his notes in the hand programme specifically praised with one whole paragraph The Long Goodbye and Images , which were not played in the concert of course.

I ordered this two days ago from Quartet (the day it was released). Although I received a message from Paypal saying that I sent payment, I have had no confirmation e-mail, or any communication at all from Quartet, and the money has not come out of my account yet. Now that it has sold out at Quartet I am nervous that my order wasn't processed. I really don't want to miss out on this release, so I went and bought a copy from SAE just to be safe. So now I probably have two copies of this disc, all because Quartet failed to send a confirmation e-mail. I am not happy at all.

I ordered this two days ago from Quartet (the day it was released). Although I received a message from Paypal saying that I sent payment, I have had no confirmation e-mail, or any communication at all from Quartet, and the money has not come out of my account yet. Now that it has sold out at Quartet I am nervous that my order wasn't processed. I really don't want to miss out on this release, so I went and bought a copy from SAE just to be safe. So now I probably have two copies of this disc, all because Quartet failed to send a confirmation e-mail. I am not happy at all.

If you get two copies i'll happily take one of your hands.