The fan's playlist: Rediscover the repertoire of JW

Bespin

Fifty miles of desert - The Eiger Sanction

They don't make 'em like this anymore..

I must say that I prefer this kind of "percussive" cues to the "real percussion" cues on Lost World.

Fantastic! If only it was in the film.

If only it all was on a complete score release!

Fifty miles of desert - The Eiger Sanction

They don't make 'em like this anymore..

I must say that I prefer this kind of "percussive" cues to the "real percussion" cues on Lost World.

Fantastic! If only it was in the film.

Oh, it isn't?

I haven't seen the film for ages..

Varese does not own Dracula, Earthquake, The Eiger Sanction, or Jaws 2 in perpetuity, but from what I do understand they are the current rights holders, so until that lapses they are the only label that can work on them. Hopefully it lapses soon since they don't seem to bother much with catalog releases any more....

I've been meaning to post something like that recently as well.

My post was going to be:

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what this thread is?

Summon the Heroes (from Summon The Heroes)

Summon the Heroes is a one-movement orchestral composition written for the 1996 Summer Olympics by American composer John Williams. It premiered July 19, 1996 at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia. The piece is the third of four compositions Williams has written for the Olympics, following 1984's Olympic Fanfare and Theme and 1988's Olympic Spirit, and preceding 2002's Call of the Champions.

I don't get this thread. Is it like a random jukebox thing?

These are selected cues that I like, mainly because of their classical side.

This makes me discover some forgotten John Williams works, as a composer and also as a director.

It also contains some interpretations by other artists that are worth of mention.

And well, it's also a coherent playlist, these are no "random" cues, you should try it. :)

And if you want to share some crush tracks, do it, it's the place for that. Richard, Stempel and filmusic already did it.

I created some other threads to highlight the work of John Williams, this one is about rediscovering some selected cues.

- A Guide to the JW & Boston Pops Discography http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23625&hl=
- A Guide to the JW & London SO Discography http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25205&hl=
- John T. Williams, the pianist http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25145&hl=
- Collaborative albums conducted by JW: What's Your Favourites? http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25118&hl=

Thanks.

Prologue - Book II And The Escape From The Dursleys (from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)

For a moment I thought Grooveshark was a member I'd never heard of here connected to Bespin in some way (I've never quite used Grooveshark, so I don't automatically recognize it as the name of a music streaming service).

:eh:

It's like putting all your JW tracks in shuffle mode on your player. I do that too once in a while and I think it's a fun way to listen to his music (even though I do this only with film cues--concert works and non-film stuff don't play well in this format, imho). Sometimes you rediscover things you forgot or you get surprised by some of the connections between some of his works.

Aaron Copland - The Red Pony: Morning on The Ranch (from Boston Pops: Music for Stage and Screen)

Air and simple gifts (from the 2009 iTunes Release, also available on The Music of America: John Williams)

Air and Simple Gifts is a quartet composed and arranged by American composer John Williams for the January 20, 2009, inauguration of Barack Obama as President of the United States. The first public performance of the piece was in Washington, D.C., immediately prior to Obama taking the oath of office, when musicians Anthony McGill (clarinet), Itzhak Perlman (violin), Yo-Yo Ma (cello) and Gabriela Montero (piano) synced their performance to a tape they had recorded two days earlier.

Williams based the piece on the familiar 19th century Shaker hymn "Simple Gifts" by Joseph Brackett. The source piece is famous for its appearance in Aaron Copland's ballet Appalachian Spring. Williams chose the selection from Copland, one of Obama's favorite classical composers.

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade: Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra (From Boston Pops: The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration)

http://www.musicme.com/_share/minialbum.swf?cb=0074644599725" />http://www.musicme.com/_share/minialbum.swf?cb=0074644599725" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="304" wmode="transparent">

Duel of the Fates (from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace)

"Duel of the Fates" is a musical theme composed by John Williams between October 1998 and February 1999 for the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace and its respective score. It was written to represent the duel in Theed between the Sith Darth Maul and the Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn with his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi in the "Duel of the Fates" scene at the end of the movie. The composition was recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) and the London Voices choir in February 1999 in EMI's Abbey Road Studios in London, England.

Harry's Wondrous World (from Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone)

Snowy Theme (from The Adventures of Tintin)

Hymn to New England (from American Journey)

A Hymn to New England was written as the accompaniment to New England Time Capsule, an Omnimax travelogue of New England shown in the Mugar Omni Theater at Boston's Museum of Science. The first public performance was given on May 5, 1987 by John Williams and the Boston Pops. The Hymn is dedicated "with gratitude to David Mugar."

Daniel-François-Esprit Auber - The Bronze Horse (from Pops Around The World - Digital Overtures)

Daniel-François-Esprit Auber, (born January 29, 1782, Caen, France—died May 12, 1871, Paris), French composer who was prominent in the 19th-century cultivation of opera containing spoken as well as sung passages (comic opera). The great contemporary success of his works was due in part to the expertly tailored librettos of Eugène Scribe and in part to Auber’s spirited musical settings, which were influenced by Gioachino Rossini and well suited to French taste. One of the most successful and still familiar works in this popular, romantic vein is Fra Diavolo (1830; Brother Devil).

Sound the Bells! (from An American Journey)

Sound the Bells!, by John Williams, was composed in 1993 to honor the marriage of the Crown Prince of Japan. Inspired by the huge Japanese temple bells, this two-minute fanfare by John Williams may be the ultimate concert opener! Originally conceived for brass and percussion, it was later scored for orchestra by Williams and used by the Boston Pops.

Bugler's Dream and Olympic Fanfare (from Summon the Heroes)

When John Williams composed the Olympic Fanfare and Theme for the L.A. Olympics in 1984, it marked the first time that a major American composer had written a signature for the Games that was so widely accepted, recognized and remembered. Leo Arnaud's fanfare (from his Bugler's Dream suite written in 1958) had become synonymous with the Olympics since ABC began using it for its televised coverage of the Olympics in 1968.

• 2 weeks later...

March From Raiders Of The Lost Ark (from the Boston Pops Album Aisle Seat - Great Film Music)

Out of Africa, Main Title (from the LSO album The Hollywood Sound)

The Adventures of Mutt (from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

Cadillac of the Skies from Empire of the Sun (from Boston Pops: The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration)

Míkis Theodorákis - Ode to Zeus (from the Album Summon the Heroes)

Michael "Mikis" Theodorakis (born 29 July 1925) is a Greek songwriter of over 1 000 songs and composer.He scored for the films Zorba the Greek (1964), Z (1969), and Serpico (1973). He is viewed as Greece's best-known living composer. Ode to Zeus was written for the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona.

Elegy For Cello And Orchestra (from the Album Yo-Yo Ma Plays The Music of John Williams)

This touching composition was born from personal tragedy, but, according to the composer, has provided an occasion to witness the healing power of time, and of music.

A young woman Williams describes as a "brilliant" violinist in his notes concerning this Elegy lost her two young children, Alexandra and Daniel, in tragic circumstances. Williams was one of several composers who had worked with the grieving mother, and they joined to each composer a small piece for a memorial service for the two children.

For his contribution, Williams recalled a very brief moment in the score to his 1997 film Seven Years in Tibet, little more than a passing melodic fragment in that project, but one that he recognized was suitable for expansion for the memorial. Since the soundtrack included the great solo cellist Yo-Yo Ma, Williams' expansion retained its identity as a cello theme as Elegy for cello and piano.

Yoda's Theme (from the 1990 album John Williams conducts John Williams – The Star Wars Trilogy)

H. Hupfeld - Casablanca (from the BPO album Cinema Serenade 2)

Violin: Itzhak Perlman