The John Williams Health Issues Thread

Since news regarding the Maestro's health ha sbeen hotly speculated upon this year, but always in different threads I thought it was a good idea to have a single one where we can post news, and engage in speculation.

Thank you King Mark for the idea!

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/local/ci_28544697/conductor-john-williams-bows-out-film-night-tanglewood

Considering John Williams has now cancelled all his major concert appearances this year because of health issues (apart from the Hollywood Bowl, which was never even announced), and the fact that he didnt score a Spielberg film for the first time since The Color Purple AND since it has been reported that William Ross is assisting him in some capacity we can safely saw without being irresponsibly morbid that John Williams is suffering from health issues beyond simply a inconvenient back ache.

I know you're bummed because of the cancellation, Stefan, but no need to "paint things black". I still maintain the belief that Williams is very healthy for an 83-year-old, and that the back ailment is temporary, at least as far as conducting is concerned. I also don't see the need in speculating about it; we'll know in due time if there are other issues beyond the back that will force him to slow down. Just look at how Morricone bounced back from his injuries, and is now more active than ever.

Let's enjoy the output while he's around instead of wallowing in misery of what will happen down the road.

(funnily, the JWFAN board is probably the only place in the world -- off- or online -- where I could be construed as an optimist! :))

You are right with the "for an 83-year old"

Which is kind of the point of this thread.

John Williams is an old man, which means something as simple as a back issue can cause serious issues. Especially considering JW has a very active career still at this age.

I is not something to sugar coat, and I feel it's an aspect of John Williams that should be discussed. You of all people should appreciate this, considering your ongoing fascination for the minutia of JW's earliest years.

Well said, Thor.

Also, bad news travel at high speed, so if JW would be seriously ill, I guess we'd already know. He's a public person, but health issues are rightfully kept under privacy. Also, as others said, he's in the middle of a very demanding project (Ep7). so he has to prioritize.

Well said, Thor.

Not well said at all.

I am not being pessimistic. I am being realistic. Considering JW's age and recent health issues a thread like this is perfectly valid and useful.

I understand being concerned about his health, we all are, Steef. But I don't think it makes much sense to speculate hardly about it, especially since none of us has more information other than the official statements that talk about back ailment.

All things considered, the inflammation of decade-old back ailments is certainly preferable to the myriad of worse problems one could have at that age.

There's a difference between being concerned, and focussing all one's attention on the negative aspects of his health. There isn't much to be gained from that; instead I'd like to focus my energy on the good health he has -- relatively speaking -- and the music he keeps producing still.

It's an attitude difference, I guess.

This doesn't offend me. It's just a particular angle that I find a bit curious. But to each their own and all that.

I'll be sure to chime in once or if there is some public announcement regarding the specifics of his health beyond the present back issue (hopefully not for many years yet).

I have to agree with Stefancos on this..

Too many coincidental cancellations, and I also thought some days ago, that things don't seem very good.

And of course if they were serious, we wouldn't know it.

I agree. We know next to nothing about John Williams' personal life. Surely if he had any serious condition it would not be reported to the media.

I just wanna go on record and state that I'm not saying John Williams does indeed have a serious condition, illness or anything.

It could very well be a back problem that is persisting because of age and the fact that JW is still working and possible not getting the rest he needs.

A: (watch out for anal itching!)

Ad-Ak Al-Al Am-An Ao-Ar As-Au

Important notice:

To minimize the number of member heart-attacks or unwanted stress, only bump this thread if something is SERIOUSLY the matter with The Maestro. Not to be used for general banter. There are enough topics to do that in. ;)

Suffering myself of back pain, I know what this can represent... and I'm only 41.

I can't imagine how it will be when I'm 80.

Hey, Mr. Williams take a Robaxacet and two Motrin for me.

Hope yo see you soon on track!

Maybe he's just taking a tiCv6V6.png

Maybe it's not QLMg7qn.gif

It's definitely a > decresc.

This whole thing is just because JJ wants to use practice effects in the recording sessions. They're using an actual real orchestra to score the film this time as opposed to the green screen and CGI orchestra the prequels used. It's taking longer than planned so JW has to cancel other projects.n

Let us all wish this topic will not be bumped for a long long time.

We should make a list of all the health issues Williams could possibly have.

Maybe Jason could add this to the Forum Index thread? Anyone have the timestamps? They really need cataloging. Clean edits only please.

Yeah...that was the most worrying thing. Having seen numerous family and friends in their last months and days a weakening voice tends to be the tell-tale signal that things aren't going well.

It certainly triggers some ol' PTSD.

Maybe...

He's just looking frail, the hair growing a bit longer than normal (if it's so bad he's not getting a regular hair cut...).

vqPA0v1.png

Even if it is just a simple back issue, a chronic condition that affects daily life like that puts a serious stressor on the elderly. Immobility-related morbidity is a thing for that age group.

Schamberg Disease

[...]The lesions are most frequent on the lower limbs, but may occur anywhere on the body, including the hands, arms, torso and even the neck. They may vary in number and erupt in mass numbers. They consist of irregular patches of orange or brown pigmentation due to the iron complex hemosiderin, with characteristic "cayenne pepper" spots appearing within and at the edge of old lesions.[...]