The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

Unfortunately, the veteran filmmakers are tarting to convert and dabble in the technology. Zemeckis, Cameron, Spielberg, Jackson, Craven, and Scorsese have all jumped in. If it was strictly crappy filmmakers using it as a gimmick, it would die out. This is not the case.

Before long the 3D bandwagon will be filled up with nothing but hacks trying to get attention for their crappy movies. If it isn't already.

jamescameron-3d.jpg

Avatar isn't crap. I don't care if you don't like it, but no matter how you feel, it's in a class way above the shit that gets released in 3D.

You can't honestly tell me that Avatar would have gotten the same level of attention had it not been in 3D.

As Cameron's long-delayed epic and first movie since 1997, it got hype. As a computer generated space opera, it got hype. But with 3D, it became the must-see event of the year.

A turd is a turd, but you paint that turd blue, give it tits, and view it in 3D, and somehow it becomes special.

• 1 month later...

At this point this is just a rumour, but looks like Hugo Strange might be the new villain in TDKR. If that's the case then it's an inspired choice. The last thing I want is what happened to the old movies, where they were just choosing the most obvious villains and then cast a popular actor.

Karol

You can't honestly tell me that Avatar would have gotten the same level of attention had it not been in 3D.

True. I saw Avatar only because of the 3D aspect and the fact that it had photorealistic visuals. The story/characters/stars/etc had absolutely nothing to do with it.

So had Cameron just filmed it normally in a jungle somewhere and enhanced it a bit with CGI, I couldn't have cared less.

That's not what I meant. It just isn't complete crap like everything else that's been released in 3D. Just my opinion, I guess.

No, it's worse, it's pretentious crap.

;)

At this point this is just a rumour, but looks like Hugo Strange might be the new villain in TDKR. If that's the case then it's an inspired choice. The last thing I want is what happened to the old movies, where they were just choosing the most obvious villains and then cast a popular actor.

Karol

Intriguing. I think that could work well if true.

• 1 month later...

No reason to spolier-block this stuff, it was officially confirmed what parts they are playing via an official press release via WB. If there's anybody out there that doesn't want to know what villians/etc will be in the new batman movie, then they should be smart enough to know to just avoid this thread entirely :)

I like Anne Hathaway a lot, she actually has a good range if you seek out like her more indie movies she's been in. I have no clue who Tom Hardy is

If there's anybody out there that doesn't want to know what villians/etc will be in the new batman movie, then they should be smart enough to know to just avoid this thread entirely :)

That was my thinking, but there's always someone dumb enough to go in here and then cry foul when they come across hard news when the thread is labeled as "speculation."

Oh well.

Great casting. Anne Hathaway is an underrated actress - she also pretty much looks like Selina in THE LONG HALLOWEEN, which has formed the basis of Nolan's Bat-movies.

Tom Hardy is a fantastic actor and has the chops for Bane. If they play Bane like he is in the comics and animated series - a genius with brains and brawn - this could be very interesting.

Ah yea, that guy from Inception! He was good

I wonder if catwoman will be a love interest for Bruce Wayne/Batman like in Batman Returns, or if they will come up with some other random love interest since they killed off maggie Gyllenhaal

There was a rumour Naomi Watts could play Vicky Vale. But that's not very likely now.

Another rumour was that Eva Green could show up as well. I'd like to see that. :)

Karol

I think that for this film there's no need for a "random love interest" or even a "love interest" to start with. Specially since Rachel just died and Catwoman is the one that's supposed to understand Batman.

I guess Catwoman would be the main villain/heroine (at the same time) of the film, and Bane will be the secondary character that triggers the action out of the "Batman-Catwoman-escaping the authorities-people who wear a mask" dynamic.

I don't know the actress, but I don't like her smile.

And those previous rumors. Eva Green, Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts? Bring it on!

Maybe they don't want to directly give away the plot device of Selina Kyle becoming Catwoman, either in this film or yet another sequel. Don't forget that Billy Dee Williams played Harvey Dent in Batman.

Maybe the name "Catwoman" would bring up painful memories of Halle Berry's movie to those who have already forgotten Batman Returns.

My initial thought is that I don't like Anne Hathaway very much, and I can't at all see her filling that role. However, I thought the same thing about Heath Ledger. Nolan knows what he's doing.

Yeah...I don't think Nolan's Batman films are perfect by any means, but if there's one thing that both of them have nailed so far, it's the casting. And considering that the casting choices only got better from the first film to the second, the trend is a positive one. That's not to say we'll be seeing such an iconic performance in the third film, but I find it rather hard to believe that the casting choices will hurt the movie.

No true, she's been making movies for well over 10 years

I liked her in stuff like Havoc, Brokeback Mountain, Rachel Getting Married, etc.

Just because she was in a bunch of Princess Diaries, Ella Enchanted, Bride Wars type movies doesn't mean she doesn't have range

It's worth mentioning Catwoman is not mentioned anywhere in the press release. Selina Kyle is, Catwoman isn't.

Take that as you will.

If they focused on the character the same way the focused on The Joker, she would end up being nicknamed "The Cat" instead. :) I've laways thoght Nolan wouldn't use the name on screen, but it's going to be tha name people refer to the character anyway.

No true, she's been making movies for well over 10 years

I liked her in stuff like Havoc, Brokeback Mountain, Rachel Getting Married, etc.

Just because she was in a bunch of Princess Diaries, Ella Enchanted, Bride Wars type movies doesn't mean she doesn't have range

Not well over, just 10 years. Her first movie was The Princess Diaries in 2001. That's very recent for an actress who's already an A-lister.

East Of Eden and Rebel Without A Cause came out while he was alive; Giant came out after

Rebel came out a month after his death. Something like that. Which kind of explains its cult status. It's a silly movie btw. Eden was much better.

Karol

I dunno but she's definitely a hottie!

She's also 9 years younger than Christian Bale (Maggie Gylenhall is 4 years younger and Katie Holmes is 5)

Hathaway wasn't nearly my first choice for Selina Kyle, but I've learned after what happened with Ledger that Nolan knows what he's doing when it comes to casting. I'm just glad the character is in the film, honestly.

I would have been happy with any character Tom Hardy was playing, he's just that kind of actor (when he was first cast many thought he'd be Riddler). That said I'm very glad that Bane is in the picture and can have an opportunity to really shine on the big screen, considering he's been badly misused in the past.