Youtube clips

KingPin

I realise that. I ripped the audio channels,and I tried to mute all the un-needed audio and leave as much of the sounds as I could. I'd thought about going back and just replacing the pod noises ... It's hard to replace the music... it's really meant for demonstrative purposes only. To show what migh have been.

I also had this odd problem when I ripped the audio from episode I, it all came out really slow...so I had to speed it up. You can see at the end it's just a hair off beat from the film.

I may re-do it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hadn't seen this before: Williams hosts a tribute documentary to Alexander Courage. Apparently this was put together last year.

Part 1:

Part 2 (Williams discusses his collaboration with Courage):

Part 3:

Part 4:

• 3 weeks later...
That makes me wonder: is there an actual technique to conducting? And I mean that: what exactly do you learn when you study conducting?

There is no set technique. Whatever you can do to communicate tempo, rythm, sound/loudness.

Haha, well there should be less "artistic freedom" with comducting. Becuase sometimes...well I just don't think some of them are trying to communicate anything other than dynamics. Its annoying.

Haha, well there should be less "artistic freedom" with comducting.  Becuase sometimes...well I just don't think some of them are trying to communicate anything other than dynamics.  Its annoying.

Aren't dynamics part of artistic freedom? Artistic freedom is why you become a conductor. The reason you like a piece in the first place is because of an interpretation of the conductor. You can like one one conductors intretation of a piece and not anothers. It brings freshness to a very tired repetoire.

Haha, well there should be less "artistic freedom" with comducting.  Becuase sometimes...well I just don't think some of them are trying to communicate anything other than dynamics.  Its annoying.

Aren't dynamics part of artistic freedom? Artistic freedom is why you become a conductor. The reason you like a piece in the first place is because of an interpretation of the conductor. You can like one one conductors intretation of a piece and not anothers. It brings freshness to a very tired repetoire.

I understand what you mean comepletely and I agree that dynamics are a VERY important part, however I do not believe that clearly communicating the pulse and beat should suffer from it. Now maybe he did communicate that to some degree, but there are some that just...don't.

(regarding previous post: Uhm, that really doesn't sound like a youth orchestra (although the sound quality is a bit too poor to really be sure). The trumpet section is remarkably good, even by world class standards. The horns are doing a great job too. Some of the syncopation work is weird, though. Overall a pretty professional performance I'd say. If that's a youth orchestra I'm floored :thumbup:

That Japanese clip is so funny! I kept thinking he was going to trip over and crash head first into one of the violinists.

I think JW would be a little disturbed if he saw that video.

I didn't think the Japanese conductor was "that" bad. You do see him giving the beat and meter at least sometimes. For me, the worst I've seen was Claudio Abado (who is supposedly world renowned) conduct Dvorak's 9th symphony (my favorite non-film piece) on PBS a few years ago. I couldn't see anything logical in what he was doing... which is probably why the players just never looked at him.

There is SO much more to conducting than most think.

It is NOT all about keeping time and dynamics. That's what highschool directors, and a lot of "mediocre" conductors worry about.

The ones that transcend the medium, and become great don't neccessarily even show the beat. But they put forth the emotion or feeling they want out of the piece. I, personally, would much rather be conducting the mood of a piece than giving 1, 2, 3, 4. And most times, GOOD players would want that too. They can count. They don't need to be shown. You should only show the beats on intricate pieces such as the Rite of Spring or any very metrical pieces.

Naturally, a good conductor also shows cues...but meter is secondary. Really it is. I've seen some good conductors leaning one hand on the back rail of their podium with their baton moving wildly in the fashion they want the music played. I suggest watching Bernstein and seeing how much he really conducts the meter.

I mean, otherwise, without conductors' interpretations...what's the point of having over 100 versions of Beethoven's 9th? If all conductors just showed what was on the page with rhythm and dynamics...they'd all be carbon copies. That's why the greats all put in their own interpretations of lines.

Are you calling Williams a mediocre conductor?

At least with him, most of the recordings and performances sound alike, unlike some conductors that play pieces that slow down or speed up unnecessarily and musicians don't all follow at the same time.

Absolutely! I know I will probably get screamed at for this one...but he IS only a mediocre conductor. The guy is a performer, and a composer. He gets the job done with his conducting...he goes into the studio and records his music perfectly to the screen. In no way am I saying he can't get the job done.

However, if you watch him conduct for a whole piece up close...there are hardly any inflections in his conducting. He usually only conducts the beat. And in his old age, he is a bit "wobbly" with his pattern in the first place.

So before you freak out on me...YES I am a huge Williams fan. But is he an amazing conductor in the field of Bernstein and Toscannini? Nope. Not even close.

Although I like his conducting, I totally agree. He is at best a performer and BRILLIANT composer! From taking Conducting in college it seriously involves way more than what he does at concerts.

Absolutely! I know I will probably get screamed at for this one...but he IS only a mediocre conductor. The guy is a performer, and a composer. He gets the job done with his conducting...he goes into the studio and records his music perfectly to the screen. In no way am I saying he can't get the job done.

However, if you watch him conduct for a whole piece up close...there are hardly any inflections in his conducting. He usually only conducts the beat. And in his old age, he is a bit "wobbly" with his pattern in the first place.

So before you freak out on me...YES I am a huge Williams fan. But is he an amazing conductor in the field of Bernstein and Toscannini? Nope. Not even close.

So what would Toscannini have done with the Superman March and the LSO? Bettered Williams' effort? By your estimations I'd love to hear it, even though its not possible.

Undoubtedly the Superman March would be better. Absolutely undoubtedly. And yes, I too would love to hear it. I really would. I mean, there are some aspects of a March that just are prime by the time the orchestra even reads them. But the love theme, and other aspects of it...even if they are just subtle. They would be better.

Again, please don't get me wrong. Williams does a good job for what he has to do.

By the way, I might note that JMan and I have both been spoiled by probably the best Wind Ensemble conductor in the country. :spiny:

Clip from Austin Wind Symphony's August Tribute Concert to

"The Music Of John Williams" (Star Wars)

(Hhmm, I see a blurb attached that says The Austin Wind Symphony plays music strictly from the movies and television beerchug)

Heh, news clip-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8E5tZxXD5M

Hollywood Bowl live performance (Don't know what year, hard to tell if that's JW way down there...)

Medley of Spielberg Movies set to film, good sound quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=464oRpDlf_A...related&search=

Undoubtedly the Superman March would be better. Absolutely undoubtedly. And yes, I too would love to hear it. I really would. I mean, there are some aspects of a March that just are prime by the time the orchestra even reads them. But the love theme, and other aspects of it...even if they are just subtle. They would be better.

Again, please don't get me wrong. Williams does a good job for what he has to do.

By the way, I might note that JMan and I have both been spoiled by probably the best Wind Ensemble conductor in the country.   :)

Correctamundo.

• 2 weeks later...

"Just get in the car, Butthead"

"Who you calling a Butthead, Butthead?"

Best BTTF. line. ever.

But "Get the hell out of my car old man!" is a close 2nd.