The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

23 hours ago, publicist said:

What do you get from that? Apart from the overture it's really mediocre, even by 1991 standards (which were significantly lower than, say, Korngold). 

I love Korngold's Robin Hood, and it's rightly considered one of his best scores, but his Main Title theme has always annoyed me. It's to wacky.

I totally agree, which is why I rate the Sea Hawk personally much higher (film too, for that matter)...the other reason is that Korngold cribbed his concert works quite a bit (Sursum Corda in particular) for Robin Hood so it feels more patchwork to me whereas Sea Hawk has lots of variety but feels more cohesive.

Main theme alone, I actually prefer Kamen to Korngold, shockingly enough. :) Clifton Parker's totally unreleased score to the 50s live action Disney Robin Hood is also very good...hopefully Intrada will consider releasing it someday.

Yavar

I think he integrates existing music well into his scores, be it his Sursum Corda for Robin or Liszt's symphonic poem for Captain Blood. But yeah, the Sea Hawk might be his most impressive score. Too bad Stromberg's complete re-recording is flawed... but thankfully we have Kojian's excellent selections!

I agree that Kamen's main theme is the better one of the two.

Where can I hear Parker's theme?

Btw, hoping for new releases of the original score recordings to Korngold's adventure films. The old Tsunami releases were too heavy on the noise reduction...

http://disneysrobin.blogspot.com/2009/08/clifton-parker-1905-1989.html?m=1

Nice bits about the score (very different from Korngold or Kamen) in the comment section of this article...sadly I can't find any samples online but the film itself is actually available for streaming at multiple sites. I highly recommend it -- it's actually by far my favorite film adaptation of the story. Prince of Thieves is dumb in so many ways of course but I actually even prefer this by far to the more corny Errol Flynn film (like I said I prefer The Sea Hawk). The live story is 1000% more natural and Peter Finch ("I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" guy from Network) is a pretty good Sheriff of Nottingham. I also like that it's a younger Robin (played wonderfully by Richard Todd) and his father is actually alive with him at the start.

Agree with you on hoping for more official Korngold releases...LLL mentioned they were working on some Korngold a couple years back. Fingers crossed...

Yavar

Yes, Prince of Thieves is quite dumb, like many other films by the same director. The Errol Flynn one is indeed corny, but I love its charm and quality craftmanship (especially the great camerawork). I'll look into the live Disney version!

When I asked LLL in 2014 about the score to The Adventures of Robin Hood, they replied Its certainly on our radar.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes, Prince of Thieves is quite dumb, like many other films by the same director. The Error Flynn one is indeed corny, but I love its charm and quality craftmanship (especially the great camerawork). I'll look into the live Disney version!

When I asked LLL in 2014 about the score to The Adventures of Robin Hood, they replied Its certainly on our radar.

ROTFLMAO

Here's the Disney live action Robin Hood on YouTube:

The preview you can see has the end of the confrontation with Little John. It's really charming and you can tell they were consciously doing something different from Errol Flynn. Here's the hilarious Friar Tuck meeting and subsequent action scene (two parts) with some good music:

I guess the closest thing there is to a main theme you hear at 1:40 with a little development after -- it's really more of a fanfare/hunting call than a full fledged theme, but it works great in the movie. The main title is actually a song sung by Alan-a-Dale. I usually don't like title songs, but I actually really like this one. I also really like how they emphasize Robin Hood more as a woodsman and archer than some kind of Zorro with a blade.

Yavar

On 1/8/2018 at 4:55 PM, TownerFan said:

Kamen wrote in a very "busy" fashion, with lots of notes, perhaps sometimes he went a tad too far in terms of thickness during some accompaniment scoring (nowadays this kind of writing would very much be jettisoned for being "too distracting")

That's because he got paid by the note.

:sarcasm:

The Next Intrada release will be a 3CD set featuring an action packed score from Disney!  Some discussion going on with Roger Feigelson on a thread about Disney titles In the Suggestion Box  Intrada forum.

I think Mulan will be a Disney Legacy title, and not an Intrada title, too.  Either way, it certainly wouldn't need 3 discs, not by a long shot.

The 3 disc set could be multiple films, one long film, a tv miniseries, a tv season or season(s), multiple shows in one set... so many possibilities - if anyone remembers where Doug or Roger first mentioned they had it in the works, maybe we can narrow it down

Initially I was thinking MIGHTY JOE YOUNG But now I'm beginning to think that this might be the long rumored WILLOW. There were some very good discussion points at a thread at Intrada. After Troy, Shogun, Waxman, Robin Hood this could be it. Finger Crossed. 

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7612&hilit=Willow

I doubt that would come out as a 3CD set, nor would Doug/Roger be so excited about it they'd talk about it beforehand / hype it up.  It's guaranteed to be something old.

Here's the quotes about the 3CD Disney set, for those who didn't click through Amer's post

I guess it's cheating - or perhaps just teasing folks - to say what I'm listening to now is a 9-minute action sequence from a massive two-hour score I'm currently editing and mastering. All in magnificent stereo. With no less than six French horns, four trumpets, four trombones and a tuba taking up the back row of the orchestra! Yep, it's a loud one. A powerhouse, to be sure... and hopefully coming your way before too many moons pass. (Because I'm sorta getting my fill of this one and am anxious to move on to my next project, still another action-packed masterpiece, this time from the Disney vaults.)

Yes, I teased about a massive score with a lot of brass and indeed was feeling ready to move on to my next project from Disney, ironically an equally big project. But to keep everyone on their toes, neither the one I teased about (now completed) nor the subsequent Disney score (currently assembled into a 3-CD set and being mastered as I write) are the projects under discussion in this thread. Yep. That's right. The two titles Roger gives a nod to (both epics in my opinion) are NOT the big projects I alluded to, for Warner Bros. and Disney respectively. Bottom line: Intrada has a number of pretty exciting releases to bring out over the next three months or thereabouts... so stay tuned.

The first score Doug talks about in these quotes is of course Kamen's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves from WB vaults, the second is the Disney 3CD coming out on Tuesday.

I've only seen the live version, and it's not a typical animation score. I'm sure that's already got a comprehensive release and there's no possible way you'd fill 3 CDs.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Here's the quotes about what the 3CD Disney set is, for those who didn't click through Amer's post

Basically, it's a really long action score from a Disney film.

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Basically, it's a really long action score from a Disney film.

Yep!

An "Action-packed masterpiece" from the Disney Vaults that takes 3 CDs to release... hmmmmmmm

COULD be Willow, with complete score on discs 1 and 2, and OST on disc 3.

BUTTT, I'm guessing its likely something from the 50s-70s released by Disney proper, that I won't be familiar with.

Disney's live version was released in 1952, titled The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men.

I just became aware of it a few weeks ago, and the score has apparently never been released.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045197/

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, that film is only 84 minutes, so it doesn't seem likely it would need a 3CD set.

Agreed, unless they found a lot of outtakes and alternates. And I'd be surprised if it's in stereo, although Disney were pioneering stereo scores long before everyone else.

Could it be a Menken score? It would be fitting to give him the attention with his return to scoring at Disney.