Bridge of Spies FILM discussion

mrbellamy

I'm not excited until we see Spielberg on set shooting these. We all know how flaky he is when it comes to directing projects, then just letting most of them die.

Big Fuckin' Giant sounds quite good, actually. Could be great for Johnny.

Not so sure about the Cold War thriller... I keep imaging something in the style of Robert Redford's 70's pictures, but I really doubt that's the direction they're going for.

I'm not excited until we see Spielberg on set shooting these. We all know how flaky he is when it comes to directing projects, then just letting most of them die.

Yeah, same, but I am a little more optimistic about these (or at least the Cold War film) since Hanks has already cleared his schedule.

I do hope The BFG happens too, though, if only for the Williams score.

Not so sure about the Cold War thriller... I keep imaging something in the style of Robert Redford's 70's pictures, but I really doubt that's the direction they're going for.

They already tried '70s style with Munich.

Alex - who watches the new Spielberg movies when they are on TV

BFG would be GREAT material for an awesome JW score. I just wish Spielberg would stop being indecisive and actually start production on a movie.

Early predictions: Andy Sirkus doing motion capture for the BFG??

I feel the same way. I'll believe it when I see it.

Plus, I'm not really interested in an adaptation of THE BFG (The Big F*cking Giant).

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't seen a film that the Coens have written but not directed. Wonder how it translates to the screen.

You never aw Crimewave? (Written by the Coens, directed by Sam Raimi)

They also had a movie 2 years ago, Gambit (Written by the Coens, directed by some other dude) but I never saw it

And of course coming this December is Unbroken (Written by the Coens, directed by Angelina Jolie, scored by Desplat)

maybe they will end directing it and spielberg jumping on another several projects before comiting to one :P

Well according to the article he's commited to The BFG, and is looking for something to squeeze in before production starts on that.

Haven't seen a film that the Coens have written but not directed. Wonder how it translates to the screen.

You never aw Crimewave? (Written by the Coens, directed by Sam Raimi)

They also had a movie 2 years ago, Gambit (Written by the Coens, directed by some other dude) but I never saw it

And of course coming this December is Unbroken (Written by the COens, directed by Angelina Jolie)

I'm aware of all those films.

maybe they will end directing it and spielberg jumping on another several projects before comiting to one :P

Exactly what I was thinking. I'll believe it when I see it.

• 3 weeks later...

Never heard of him

Wow, it seems like this film is really happening.

It's amazing how over the past 10 years, Spielberg's name has been attached to maybe 20 films, and it's the least interesting ones of them all that get made.

Sometimes the quality of the project isn't a factor, I imagine. It's more getting that project financed, remember Lincoln almost was an HBO movie. And would that been so bad?

Sometimes the quality of the project isn't a factor, I imagine. It's more getting that project financed, remember Lincoln almost was an HBO movie. And would that been so bad?

No Oscars? Can't have that!

If Spielberg ends up with the Coen's draft of the script as his shooting script this is a project to look forward to! And least in my opinion.

The Coens have a spotty history at least since their glory days ended in 2003. I'm afraid Spielberg dabbling in history isn't one of my favourite prospects. Too many well-intended-but-ultimately-middling films sprang from this love affair. The solace is that it probably can't suck as much as AMISTAD.