RUMOR: Williams has already written 3 reels of The Force Awakens

Not Mr. Big

• 3 weeks later...

What is this fetish people have for the LSO? The Sydney Symphony Orchestra will suffice.

London Symphony is way out of Sydney Symphony's league.

It's not uncommon for composers to spot and score as and when 'reels' are ready, often out of order, although that's not Williams' usual methodology which requires a reasonably complete cut (although he may write the music out of order).

Well, he wrote The Phantom Menace out of order, didn't he? He started with Anakin/Shmi bits then moved to the finale and then everything else.

Karol

I know that JJ said he had not seen an edit of the film. I do not think this was truthful, or he was playing with semantics. It is safe to think that there has existed a rough cut since November and Williams has seen it. Perhaps he has subsequently received updated reels throughout the process has well.

JW is waiting till september to start writing the music so he doesn't spoil his inspiration for the Spielberg spy thriller

He'll rush write it in 3 weeks, using existing cues from the past 6 films and record it in november

He usually has his films locked very early on. Giacchino was scoring the first Star Trek in October (or something like that) with the film coming out in April.

Karol

No. The Star Trek score was recorded in 08 because the film was originally supposed to come out in December 2008.

When the film got pushed back to May 2009, it got re-edited further and the whole score got hacked up into the mess it is in the final cut, and the Tilton drum overdubs were added.

JW is waiting till september to start writing the music so he doesn't spoil his inspiration for the Spielberg spy thriller

He'll rush write it in 3 weeks, using existing cues from the past 6 films and record it in november

I really hope that's not the case. I want at least 10 brand new themes and the score should be very classical-minded, like the original Star Wars. Of course, that won't happen because Williams will be instructed to give it a modern ostinato feel.

I believe the rumor Thaxton posted. I can't imagine Thaxton would share it if it didn't have basis in reality.

Just got wind of this.

2 minutes of written music a day is really no big deal. For 120 minutes of music, that's about 6 - 7 weeks (I don't say 60 days because on some days, some cues just comes more easily to you than other cues).

I don't blame JW for handwriting all his music for decades on end and then saying he can't write 2 minutes worth of music a day anymore. Weakening wrist bones, you know. ^_^

Williams, at his age, is very lucky to still be able to compose about 2 minutes a day for film.

I do wonder, though, how much time it takes him to write a major concert work, say, a concerto.

I don't blame JW for handwriting all his music for decades on end and then saying he can't write 2 minutes worth of music a day anymore. Weakening wrist bones, you know. ^_^

And yet, his handwriting is one of the clearest I've seen ;).

Children teach parents about classical music? Surely not! My son doesn't do that.

Well my father taught me about classical music from an early age, and I've taught my mother a bit.

That said, my parents are 40 years older than me, so maybe it's a generational thing.