John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl (Seth MacFarlane host) August 2014

Muad'Dib

The concert's at Intermission now, and the first half was fantastic. Probably the best JW concert I've seen in years. Jurassic Park and Geisha were performed really well.

Looks like that Jurassic Park performance video went private for some reason (I downloaded it in 1080p though before it was changed). But here is another one I found, but is just part of it:

And here is "Tango"

And Seth MacFarlane singing "Everybody Needs A Best Friend", from Ted.

My roommate surprised me with tickets for my birthday. Fantastic concert! It's a pity Jurassic Park always gets sped up like that, but it was still a blast. So much incredible music, and the children performing "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" looked positively delighted to be there, which made it all the more enjoyable.

I will say that I noticed the maestro himself looking (and especially sounding) older. I almost felt sorry for the guy as we cheered him through the four encores. But then again, he still comes alive while conducting. Looks just like he does in those films of the ESB recording sessions.

My roommate surprised me with tickets for my birthday. Fantastic concert! It's a pity Jurassic Park always gets sped up like that, but it was still a blast. So much incredible music, and the children performing "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" looked positively delighted to be there, which made it all the more enjoyable.

I will say that I noticed the maestro himself looking (and especially sounding) older. I almost felt sorry for the guy as we cheered him through the four encores. But then again, he still comes alive while conducting. Looks just like he does in those films of the ESB recording sessions.

Interestingly Williams apparently likes the faster rendition of the JP theme for some reason or other even though it deprives it of some of that hymn solemnity it would really benefit from.

First time post: I saw the movie theme program in the 90's at the Davies Symphony Hall after the recent renovation. it was the most memorable concert I ever attended.

I appreciate the nod to film makers, choreographers, dancers, athletes, etc. I was hoping for more JW movie themes though. The SF setlist was much more movie oriented. Judging by the comments I heard in the audience, many were also expecting more as well. It was still exhilarating to see JW healthy and doing what he does best.

lets face it, the slow JP theme is the fault of artie kane!

:P

Good for Artie Kane. It is probably one of those things JW wanted to perform faster but the film tied him to a slower performance. But this fast version sounds like the orchestra is just trying to get it out of the way so they can leave early. :P

Assuming it worked (I haven't checked yet), I recorded all of Williams talking on my phone. I'll transcribe it all and post my thoughts on the concert as soon as I have a chance.

Fantastic night! Loved the whole show (MacFarlane part being the only lull), and was surprised and delighted with the multiple encores.

My 2 favorite parts involved the choir-"Call of the Champions" and "Dry Your Tears, Afrika". Before, I just thought those pieces were "okay"...but now - holy crap-those performances blew me away!

Very cool that he played his arrangement of Varsity Drag. Might be the oldest piece of JW music he's ever conducted in concert? At least in the last few decades?

I seem to recall the reason jurassic park was sped up was due to some lawsuit which allows him /or anyone to conduct it in concert but at that IMHO awful speed.

It also sounds better with a choir, synth or otherwise. I still go back to the original recording the live performances are so so. The melody after all is very simple and almost too repetitive. It is such a nostalgic piece.

Here's John Williams conducting the JP Main Theme at the proper OST speed ( also disproves it's slower on the OST because he didn't conduct it)

Here's John Williams conducting the JP Main Theme at the proper OST speed ( also disproves it's slower on the OST because he didn't conduct it)

Even so, it's clear he originally intended for it to be taken at exactly the tempo heard on the OST - after all, the cues that use that theme were written to precisely match the timing of the film. It's not an exaggeration to say that Williams probably picked the tempo before he wrote the melody itself.

Yeah, that Boston performance sounds right. To my ears it sounds much better this way leaves space between all the 8th notes... I'm sure tempo would have been the first thing on his mind when composing.

• 1 month later...