Other film composers doing concerts

Since the 80's, John Williams has been a prolific performer of his own, and the music of other (film) composers in concerts. He has literally done hundreds of performances, including anual ones in Boston, Tanglewood, the Hollywood Bowl.

Has there ever been another film composer who has had such an amount of success and longevity as a concert performer?

Goldsmith did do concerts, but no where near as many as Williams did. Shore took his LOTR symphony on tour for a while, and his music is still being performed in the Live To Screen Concerts but the success of that is more due to the popularity of LOTR then that of Shore himself.

I can't think of a single composer from Hollywood that could have had such an enduring success in concerts, certainly no currency active compose comes close.

From Europe obviously Morricone is the only one who also has had a long and persistent career performing his own music in concerts, all over the world. But I really doubt even he comes anywhere near JW's level.

That means when JW retires, or passes, a rather large gap will be left in that area. Is there anyone right now with the audience recognition that could come even close to filling those shoes?

Zimmer really is the only name I can think of. But a lot of his music really isnt all that suited for a traditional concert performance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, video game music concerts thrive...

:music:

Yes. But are these video game concerts largely devoted to the music of one composer?

There are plenty of film music concerts, but very often they offer the music of a variety of composers. John William's concert's largely have his music.

From Europe obviously Morricone is the only one who also has had a long and persistent career performing his own music in concerts, all over the world. But I really doubt even he comes anywhere near JW's level.

You're kidding, right? So Morricone gives countless concerts all around the world to sold out performances in sports' stadiums and he can't come close to Williams who gives does countless concerts... but mostly in just one country?

Zimmer is giving two concerts in London this fall. Who knows, it might be beginning of a tour?

Karol

It's all down to success and Williams has made many memorable themes. Williams won't be the last as surely there will be composers up and coming in the future. What about Giacchino?

I guess so. I think Williams was lucky in the projects he's attached to to garner concerts nowadays. The same goes for Morricone. What's bigger than Star Wars?

JW has chosen to perform solely in the US since the 2000's. But has done so with resounding success.

What other film composer from the US could sell out with a program of just his own work, every single year, for decades?

Morricoine, being from Europe naturally travels more, because Europe is much smaller anyway.

Morricoine, being from Europe naturally travels more, because Europe is much smaller anyway.

Oh great. So now we are comparing composers' careers based on how big a country is...

I thought it was about diversity, the type of listeners it appeals to. You know, the relevant stuff.

Karol

Oh great. So now we are comparing composers' careers based on how big a country is...

I thought it was about diversity, the type of listeners it appeals to. You know, the relevant stuff.

Karol

It is. But it is an undeniable fact that Europeans travel abroad a lot more then Americans.

Hell I can be in London in 3 hours if I wanted, Paris in 4!

I forgot about Morricone, for some reason. He's obviously just as active (if not more) in the concert area, although I'm not sure what's going to happen now, with his recent hip injury.

Michel Legrand was in Oslo just a couple of weeks ago, btw (I tried to get an interview, but failed to get a response from his management). He's been touring with a small jazz ensemble for quite some time now.