Your favorite John Williams score!

Your favorite John Williams score?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite John Williams score?

• The Reivers
    • Star Wars
    • Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
    • Jurassic Park
    • Harry Potter And The Philosophers/Sorcerer's Stone
    • War Horse

I wasn't quite satisfied with Adywans' version of the duel, so I decided to make a new one, faster and more intense. More effects and music were added to make the scene more epic.

I hope you'll like it!

That finale...so EPIC!

I wasn't quite satisfied with Adywans' version of the duel, so I decided to make a new one, faster and more intense. More effects and music were added to make the scene more epic.

I hope you'll like it!

Evil!

That finale...so EPIC!

Of course Empire wins.

*sigh*

Was there ever a moment's doubt?

That's why I think it would've been more fun to do the World Cup competition between composers. Unfortunately, the logistics turned out to be a lot harder than I first thought. . . .

I was planning to do just that, but like I said, it turned out to be more of a headache than I'd anticipated. The biggest problem is figuring out which scores to use for each composer. You can't really draw from a complete list of their works, because there are a lot of scores from the early days of many composers that have never been released to the public. So fine; you just use scores that have been released, right? But even with the advent of the labels that now give us scores from the most obscure sources imaginable, it has to be understood that many people won't have heard of, let alone heard, a lot of those scores. Is it reasonable to expect people to vote competently in a competition where Williams' Diamond Head is up against Goldsmith's Spiral Road? In those cases, most people would simply vote for their favorite composer . . . and it becomes just one more "favorite composer" vote-off, which has lost its appeal, and which Williams will inevitably win anyway.

So say I decide to allow only the popular scores for each composer. But what constitutes a "popular" score? People's tastes—and collections—vary widely. Ultimately, it would come down to selecting a standard list for each of sixty-four composers . . . something that would take the kind of time I just don't have right now. I've calculated out how the bracket would work, how to compile the list of 64, how to determine seeding, how the voting would work, how tiebreakers would function, how many times total each participant would have to vote, all of that. I even made it more interesting by increasing the number of competing scores in the final rounds. But the legwork to determine the eligible scores themselves. . . .

I don't know. I may wind up too intrigued about the possible outcome to resist doing it, and be forced by my own curiosity to follow through. We'll see.

Stefan your statistically flawed poll once again provides the same answer as always. ESB and as Ricard said not Star Wars Ep. 5. And when it came out Star Wars Ep. IV A New Hope did not exist. In my mind I still reject that horrible title from its waterheaded creator.

Stefan your statistically flawed poll once again provides the same answer as always.

Indeed! A thread should be made where everyone lists their favorite, and then a comprehensive tally assembled. The full story is thus told. No more half measures.

Stefan your statistically flawed poll once again provides the same answer as always. ESB and as Ricard said not Star Wars Ep. 5. And when it came out Star Wars Ep. IV A New Hope did not exist. In my mind I still reject that horrible title from its waterheaded creator.

A never used A New Hope in my polls!