What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Well, at least Haggis didn't write it.

Maybe the article has a point:

no matter what you think of Crash, having Simon on board as well is enough to overcome doubts for me.

Alex

In TV the director usually isn't as important as the showrunner.

I mostly agree with this too.

True. Of course, a showrunner is a bit of everything in TV.

One of the things that I love about television, and in fact have always loved about television, is that it is a writer's medium. The drawcard for all of them, but especially writers is freedom. It still takes a village to make a movie and a village to make a TV show but, more often than not, one of the final arbiters of the actions of that village in movies is the director, and in television is the writer. - Vince Gilligan

Alex

Vince is right!

Of course sometimes directors get to put their stamp on things, like that guy who directed Season 1 of True Detective and got that 5 minute unbroken shot in there, or how Fincher directing the first two episodes of House of Cards established the look of the whole show.

Bates Motel. I don't think it's that bad at all. It's pretty easy to watch, actually. It has some kind of crazy Oedipus complex going on.

The Oedipus complex thing gets creepier and more fascinating as the seasons go by Alex. It's the other storylines/characters that really test your patience.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The complete series.

My biggest impression of this show is that it has variety. Although every season has a serialised arc, so many episodes have their own identity, but aren't afraid of balancing so much in 44 minutes.

For example the episode "Hush" plays at horror through one of the most effective one-shot villains, The Gentlemen. And yet it balances that horror with powerful comedic writing and acting through pure mime because through the villains' diabolocal plan to silence the town so that people couldn's scream when they remove their hearts, the characters can no longer speak.

And other episodes are downright grim like "The Body" or beautifully complex and ambiguous like "Once More, With Feeling". I had to buy the CD of this because the music was so good.

I really crashed through this series because it was like an entertaining novel that you can't put down. I was completely hooked on Buffy's seven-year journey of self-discovery, unremitting torment and self-doubt. Every season that went along, the odds were stacked against her even more and I loved seeing how she could utilise the very few resources she had in order to defeat whatever the "Big Bad" threw at her. It even got ridiculous at times, but this is a fantasy show that embraces its own silliness.

And Sarah Michelle Gellar looks great wielding a stake.

The Oedipus complex thing gets creepier and more fascinating as the seasons go by Alex. It's the other storylines/characters that really test your patience.

Yes, the series seems to get better ratings with every new season. And yes, during yesterday's episode I thought some situations are getting a little bit absurd.

Alex

community-season-6-finale-recap.jpg?w=67

Community S06E13 - Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television

Say what you will about the shaky performance of these last couple of seasons, but when Community is at its A-game, it can't be beat. And after the really weird episode last week, this A-game episode is a very welcome one. This episode seems to be Harmon's love letter to Community, albeit not a very romantic one, but a poignant, and appropriately super-meta reflection on the show and its journey so far. The episode chooses to play as a sort-of series finale, allowing Harmon to batter down the fourth wall as much as the scenario allows. So many cheeky and oddly touching gags, you can't help but chuckle nostalgically. Love the tag at the end.

Apparently there's a very good chance a movie will be made, and hopefully Troy and Shirley will be back if that goes through. It's been a long ride for this show, but I'm glad I was there for all of it. #sixseasonsandamovie

I read the Harmon is trying to seal a deal with Yahoo. And Joel McHale recently went on Conan saying the movie will probably happen if Harmon is up for writing it.

And Yahoo posted this:

“With the season six finale of Community airing today, we’re continually excited by how much fans are engaging with the series. Now that all episodes are available for binge viewing, stay tuned for how we keep Community delighting its fans.”

I'm pretty sure Yvette Nicole-Brown can come back for this last thing, but Glover's a wild card. I understand he's moved on with his career, but he's got to do this! Think of the fans!

You don't want them to bring back Pierce, Hickey, and John Oliver though?

It'd be nice to have Pierce and John Oliver back too! The former character was killed off, so its reasonable not to expect him, though maybe in flashback form?

Hickey was never that great a character anyway.

It's a little rough around the edges (mainly because it's a product of its time), but a great gem nonetheless.

It gets even better in season 2, until the second half, where there's a severe drop in quality.

Not that he will, but he could skip to the gangbusters finale from there. But even then he'd miss some key information regarding the investigation and what we learn about the Black Lodge.

Oh, episode 8 of Game of Thrones was AMAZING this morning. Better than the siege of the Wall!

I just found the direction and structure much more dramatic than the still pretty damn good Wall sequence. I've not felt cinematic insurmountable odds and impending DOOOOOOOM like today's events since LotR.

The threat is real!