The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Greg - who thinks the whole "Bad Wolf" thing is a bit hokey and will end up as an unanswered plot-thread, but who has also booked thee telly for 7pm next Saturday night.....

You were obviously very wrong.

Outstanding season closer, combining drama (the Dalek invasion of future earth) with some nice comedy. (Micky's mini trying to break open the Tardis console)

Decent CGI, big but still pretty crude.

Eccleston's last line as The Docter is priceless, Mr. Tennent has his work cut out for him.

Loved the part were Rose is send back to her home and has to deal with the same nonsenical twatter she was a part of in the first episode:

"You tried that new pizza place? "

"No, what do they serve?"

"Pizza."

Music was OK, with a real (small choir) but still sounds to much like synths and samples trying to be a big orchestra.

Having just seen the end of Eccleston and the introduction of David Tennant, I have to say that "The Parting of the Ways" episode was the best yet. The only bad thing is that they could open the heart of the TARDIS with a truck. I mean COME ON!!! :devil:

The Daleks themselves have never been very scary - it's what they do and their unemotional, no-heart attitude that is the scary thing...this episode (I thought) carried that off pretty well, ghough there was no need for the "God Dalek"....

Oh - and I must have missed the whole "Bad Wolf" resolution thingy...it was clearly an anagram - but of what?

Greg - who agrees that David Tennant has some big boots to fill, but would like to see Ecclestone back at some point ("The Two Doctors", anyone?....oh, wait.....)

Ah, but the Daleks WERE scary! It's their unmistakable profile that's so creepy. When you see them from a distance trundling across Westminster bridge in Dalek Invasion of Earth, or when you see one silhouetted against the horizon, or even just the shadow of one, that's what puts the willies up you. Especially if you're an impressionable 4 year old boy, as I was when I first saw Death to the Daleks. I think true fear of the Daleks is something you can only truly have if you grew up being afraid of them. 4 and 5 year olds who watched this new series will grow up with a healthy fear of rubbish bins. And why not, I say!

I don't know why I read every post in this thread, I still haven't got the last 2 episodes from my friend and now I've seen some spoilers. Oh well. Good news about series 3, and the 2 Christmas specials!

("The Two Doctors", anyone?....oh, wait.....)

How about The Three Doctors with Ecclestone, Tennant and Tom Baker. I'd love to see Baker and Ecclestone in a scene together. It would be a contest to see who had the widest grin! ROTFLMAO

("The Two Doctors", anyone?....oh, wait.....)

How about The Three Doctors with Ecclestone, Tennant and Tom Baker. I'd love to see Baker and Ecclestone in a scene together. It would be a contest to see who had the widest grin! ROTFLMAO

Good call......but maybe make it The Four Doctors - I would love to see more of Paul McGann in the role.....he was the only good thinkg about that movie!! Half Human indeed.... :roll:

Half human! Yes that really irked me too. The show had run successfully (for the most part) for 26 years, and then suddenly the writer of the TV movie shows up and in one story he completely turns the whole mythology on it's head! What on earth made him think he had the right to do that? Now of course the TV movie is considered a part of the cannon and so people just don't know how to explain the whole half-human thing, or whether even to acknowledge it. Do Dr. Who fans generally think the Doctor is now half human? It would make an interesting survey. I for one say Hell no!

On his mothers side apparently... That's all that's said about it. It didn't even make much of an impact on the story or plot direction. It was just used as a kind of easy "get out" when needed. I think it's best to just assume that the 8th Doctor was still suffering mentally from his regeneration when he told the assistant ( I forget her name). And then the Tardis lied when it told the same thing to the Master. Yes, that's what I'm going to believe. Now my geeky fanboy persona is content that everything is as it should be and I can sleep peacefully. Hehe.

• 1 month later...

For those still interested, Sarah-Jane Smith will be returning to the world of Doctor Who for the new season (one of my favourite companions and a perfect foil for both Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee's wit). Not known yet for how many episodes, but of course Elizabeth Sladen will be playing her.....now I seem to remember that as a parting gift the good Doctor gave Ms Smith a certain Robotic dog? No word yet whether he/she/it will be returning,but I suppose we can't rule it out now.....would be good to see the little mutt again!

Also the Tenth Doctor's outfit has been revealed, as have some of the baddies who will grace the 2006 season as well as the Christmas Special.....

Full story courtesy of Aunty Beeb

:)

Exciting news indeed as I loved Liz Sladen! She was the perfect companion for the Doctor. She was strong minded enough and good humoured enough not to appear weak and silly. But she still got into all sorts of scrapes and screamed whenever the script needed a perillous situation for the companion without making it look anti feminist. Many of my favourite cliffhangers of all time invloved Sarah Jane Smith in danger. The end of episode 2 of Genesis of the Daleks is the best (Sarah falls from the rocket she's climbing), but also the end of Seeds of Doom pt 3 (Chase holds Sarah's bare arm in front of the hatching Krynoid pod), and every single cliffhanger from Brain of Morbius! I had the great fortune to meet Liz Sladen once, and she was as lovely in person as she appears onscreen. And she still looks gorgeous as well, which doesn't hurt at all!

By the way, the official BBC Dr Who site now has a picture of David Tennant in his new costume as the Doctor. http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/ I like it, a rather understated old-fashioned brown pin-striped suit. A big change from Ecclestone's outfit.

James (always glad to see this thread revived!) :D

PS I heard that K9 IS coming back. I don't know how successful that will be though... He's a bit..well.. 70s!

• 2 months later...

Bump!

As well as the new season of Dr Who to look forward to, the series gets it's first spin-off next year in the form of "Torchwood" (an anagram of Doctor Who), which will centre around the character of Captain Jack Harkness who, I seem to remember, got left on the Space Station at the end of The Parting of the Ways....

Not sure about this!!

Full story courtesy of Aunty Beeb......

:)

Well, now that this thread is revived, I might mention that the DVD box set (represents BBC becoming evil but also) contains:

- All 13 episodes of Doctor Who Confidential

- Backstage at Christmas preview

- Video diaries from Billie Piper, Russel T. Davies and Mark Gatiss

- Featurettes: Destroying the Lair, Mike Tucker;s Mocks of Balloons, Desiging Doctor Who, Laying Ghosts, Deconstructing Big Ben and The Adventures of Captain Jack.

- Christopher Eccleston inteview from BBC's Breakfast

- "The Trip of a Lifetime" trailers

- 5.1 Surround Sound for all 13 episodes

- Commentaries

And from IMDb (series 2 related):

"The Christmas Invasion" Episode: #2.0 - December 2005

Anita Briem .... Sally

Noel Clarke .... Mickey Smith

Camille Coduri .... Jackie Tyler

Daniel Evans .... Danny Llewellyn

Adam Garcia .... Alex Klein

Sean Gilder

Chu Omambala .... Major Blake

Penelope Wilton .... Harriet Jones

"New Earth" Episode: #2.1 - 2006

Adjoa Andoh .... The Sister

Doña Croll .... The Matron

Sean Gallagher .... Chip

Anna Hope .... The Novice

Lucy Robinson .... Clovis

Zoë Wanamaker .... Cassandra O'Brien Dot Delta Seventeen (voice)

"Tooth and Claw" Episode: #2.2 - 2006

Queen Victoria .... Pauline Collins

Father Angelo .... Ian Hanmore

Isobel .... Michelle Duncan

Reynolds .... Jamie Sives

The Steward .... Ron Donachie

The Host .... Tom Smith

Flora .... Ruth Milne

Robert .... Derek Riddell

"School Reunion" Episode: #2.3 - 2006

Rod Arthur

Caroline Berry

Lucinda Dryzek .... Melissa

Anthony Head .... Mr. Finch

John Leeson .... K9 (voice)

Elisabeth Sladen .... Sarah Jane Smith

Benjamin Smith .... Luke

Clem Tibber .... Milo

Eugene Washington .... Mr. Wagner

"The Girl in the Fireplace" Episode: #2.4 - 2006

Pauline Collins .... Queen Victoria

Sophia Myles .... Madame Du Pompadour

"The Satan Pit" Episode: #2.8

[no info yet]

"Army of Ghosts" Episode: #2.12

[no info yet]

Hmmmm. Not too sure about Torchwood. I just hope it's not going to compromise work on the second series of Dr Who. I wonder if RTD is more concerned with making Cardiff famous than making a good show here... Also I wonder if this means that Captain Jack won't be making another appearance in Dr Who, as the article mentions there will be no crossovers. I had originally heard that Captain Jack would be back in Dr Who series 3.

Dont know - but I really think it's too early for a spin-off....I mean, yes the First Season of Who was successful, but it has not yet established itself enough in my opinion to promote such an enterprise.....it needs a couple of good seasons behind it before we talk about spin-offs..... (or is that spins-off?)...otherwise there is a danger of it all becoming too messy.....

Rob - thanks for that info - K9 is on the list!!!! Yipeeee!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, another piece of casting has been confirmed......Episode 5 & 6 of season 2 will be a 2-parter involving the Cybermen accompanied by the new baddie in town.....wait for it.....Trigger!

Roger Lloyd-Pack will play the evil John Lumic.....should be interesting!!!

More here.....

Rumours that David Jason will be playing an evil "Miwionnaire" who collects alien body-parts and flogs them on the Portobello Road in order to fund his research into cloning Plonkers are completely unfounded.....

• 2 weeks later...

I like it! I really didn't care much for the rather flimsy looking cybermen of the 1980s. To me the pinacle of the cyberman design was 1968s The Invasion and 1975s Revenge of the Cybermen. The just looked perfect in those stories. Their faces had a more simplistic feel to them, more plaintif and slightly sad. This new cyberman design seems to capture that. I'm not sure what I think of the muscular layered torso section, but I suppose that's just changing times. The strap-on chest unit of the earlier designs might look a bit out of date to todays audiences. Mind you, Darth Vader kept his!

...along with EastEnders... :roll:

Hardly a highlight.....

Greg - who will be asleep most of Christymas Day as he has to work on Christmas Eve night and Christmas night itself.... :cry:

Christmas Day Odds-on favourite for Nana Moon to dress up as John J. Rambo and wipe off the entire community of Albert Square except for the Mitchells of course who will be in prison visiting Sam. Welcome back the Mitchell brothers.

• 2 weeks later...

The good Doctor and Charity nights have not always been successful - witness "The Curse of Fatal Death"......but then we did get "The Five Doctors" which was, I believe, made for Children in Need as an anniversary story.....

It was surprising therefore that the reltionship should once again be revived, as an 8-minute episode starring David Tennant and Billie Piper aired on Friday night......follows on directly from the end of the last series.....if you missed it (as I did), catch it here!

:spiny:

There's no way I'll be able to watch that with my crappy dial-up. I hope it'll be an extra on the upcoming special DVD box set. Or maybe on the season 2 box set. How is it?

Incidentally I don't think The Five Doctors had anything to do with Children In Need. The special you're thinking of was made in 1993 (after the show had been cancelled) to celebrate the 30th anniversary. It was a short 2-part story called Dimensions in Time and was really really bad. It was set in Albert Square and featured the cast of Eastenders as well as all surviving Doctors (Pertwee, Baker-although Baker appeared only as narrator in special cut-scenes-cop out!, Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy). The plot centred around the Rani and the Master trying to capture all the Doctors. They already had Hartnell and Troughton (which explains why they weren't in it. Yawn..) It had a few scenes in 3D, and featured a few famous monsters (well, aging props from the Dr Who museum with random extras inside them... not very scary). The whole thing lasted about 20 minutes. I have it on video but I haven't watched it since 1993, even though it's Pertwee's final bow as the Doctor. Awful.

By the way, I've only ever seen David Tennent in two things: The Parting of th Ways, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Interestingly, in each one there's a special effects scene in which another actor transforms into David Tennent!

Incidentally I don't think The Five Doctors had anything to do with Children In Need. The special you're thinking of was made in 1993 (after the show had been cancelled) to celebrate the 30th anniversary. It was a short 2-part story called Dimensions in Time.

Sorry - yes - that's the one......it was truly horrific.......in fact I don't think I ever saw the end it was so embarassing.....

How is the new 8-minute snippet? Ummmmm - that would be giving things away a little.... :)

......but suffice to say I am now even more eager for Christmas Day to arrive, and it ain't because of the Turkey sandwiches!

"I have a mole......"

Classic....

• 1 month later...

Yeah, just watched it too. As usual, Dr Who is over the top and quite awfull (the music particularly in this episode made me giggle). Dr Who's sheer awfullness has always been it's charm though. David was parodying the whole Dr Who thing throughout if you ask me. And what was with the - "No...that's from the Lion King" bit? LOL I must say i felt awful when they blew up that ship. What a stupid thing to do? Dr patches up the whole affair, and sends them off with their tails between their legs to tell the rest of the Universe and the Oxo cube priminister blows it up. Silly woman. Another reason why a woman should never be Priminister.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. I wish the Doctor had been in it for a little longer. These "problematic regeneration" stories rarely become classics (the embarassing first 2 episodes of Castrovalva, the whole of Twin Dilemma, and the horrendous Time and the Rani). The actual plot was fun but also a bit silly and simplistic, but I think that's because it was always going to be broadcast on Christmas day so they didn't want to do anything too scary. The only other episode to be shown on Christmas day was The Feast of Steven back in the 60s, and that one was a silly comedy too. However this episode was really saved by the twist with the PM at the end. At that point Tennent really showed that he will make an excellent Doctor IMO.

I'm surpriesed the little scene between the Doctor and Rose (shown on children in need) wasn't included at the beginning. It works so well! I wonder if it'll be added to the pre-credits teaser for the DVD release.

BTW I got the Tardis DVD set for christmas! For a joke my parents got me the 2006 annual as well!!! I haven't had a DR Who annual for Christmas since about 1976! ;)

I loved it!!

Yes - a little simplistic, but I think it is the best introduction for a new Doctor there has been for several incarnations......and Tennant ate up the role accompanied by a thick slice of ham - which is really what it's all about.....

I was a little disappointed too that there was not more of the Doctor - and the Lion King bit annoyed the hell out of me too - talk about gratuitous! But the slightly shocking ending offset the silliness nicely and the reference to Thatcher and the sinking of the Belgrano was eery in the extreme.....

All in all - to be honest I can't wait for the new season to start!!!! Especially with the tantalising teasers shown at the end......

Well I hardly pitied those alien bastards being blown up. That was a good episode though, nothing that great. With interesting moral questions. And I think I prefer last seasons doctor...