John Williams scoring all three new Star Wars films!!

karelm

It was something made only for letting people have a laugh. Film score fans take things too much seriously.

No, if it's funny, it's funny. See SOUTH PARK clip above. But if there's no cleverness behind it -- like in the Kaplan video -- it just becomes childish and annoying. Big difference. It steps over the line from being funny and satirical to being offensive to Zimmer, Zimmer fans and everyone who appreciates well-directed and clever comedy.

You're a precious one, aren't you?

The additional composers are easily startled but they will soon be back. And in greater numbers too.

The thought of him unleashed with a young crew and no meddling has me seriously excited.

They'd be meddling with powers they cant possibly comprehend.

I am tentatively hopeful of Williams doing the score after all. :)

As people here have said the change of director and whole crew (George is still looming behind them all as a creative consultant though) might actually bring something refreshingly different to the whole project and energize Williams. Abrahams might actually save him from the post production tribulations that he had to face with the Prequels, which could lead to a more satisfyingly coherent score in the film itself without hacking, slashing and editing on the scale it was done in the past three films.

And better presentation in the film. Remember when Abrams "stood up" to Ben Burtt when working on the first Star Trek film?

Karol

And better presentation in the film. Remember when Abrams "stood up" to Ben Burtt when working on the first Star Trek film?

I don't think I do. Would you mind elaborating?

As far as I can rememeber a lot of music was dropped at some point but then Abrams insisted on putting it back.

Karol

Can't find it now, but Abrams definitely insisted on putting the score back in the film in a few instances. Might have been on this forum. Or a DVD commentary maybe?

Karol

There's one other possibility: I'm crazy.

But I can remember people being happy he treats film music with some respect, especially because Ben Burtt was also working on the film.

Karol

May I ask something?

Am I the only one in this forum that doesn't want Williams to score a new Star Wars film?

(I wouldn't feel such an outcast if there is one person more :) )

Yes.

hehe.. Really eh? that's strange!

So everyone needs a 7th Star Wars score more than another score in another genre that Williams may have never visited.. ok..

Woah, now you're jumping to conclusions! I'd be totally happy if Williams was still scoring 2-4 films a year, across a wide variety of genres. But Williams simply doesn't want to do that. He does appear to want to score Star Wars 7, and so I am happy that Disney, Giacchino, and Abrams seem to want him to as well. That's all.

ah, ok then.. That makes it a bit better..

of course, if I were to choose between Star Wars or nothing, I 'd choose Star Wars too.

I just had in my options Star Wars or another film, so I definitely choose the 2nd.

Abrams is probably quietly chomping at the bit to work with John Williams. He likely secretly wants him more than Gia for this, understandably so. Even Gia probably knows it.

Yes.

So everyone needs a 7th Star Wars score more than another score in another genre that Williams may have never visited.. ok..

Which genre has Williams not visited?

Yes.

Which genre has Williams not visited?

those that come up on my mind are:

-2d animation or a musical animation

-romantic costume drama (ok, we have jane Eyre but that's TV so it doesn't really count if we want to speak about cinema)

-mythical - maybe medieval -fantasy (Willow, Lord of the Rings type) (Harry potter and the Indiana Jones maybe are the closest to this. And Star Wars of course)

-biblical/roman epic film (Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, Greatest Story ever told type)

Animation isn't a genre, it's a medium

And yea, Williams has never done a big biblical / epic film, or even a sword-and-sandals epic. Would be cool to see that, plus some smaller films again too, along the lines of Rosewood, Sleepers, Stepmom, etc.

Animation isn't a genre, it's a medium

And yea, Williams has never done a big biblical / epic film, or even a sword-and-sandals epic. Would be cool to see that, plus some smaller films again too, along the lines of Rosewood, Sleepers, Stepmom, etc.

well, in imdb it's in the genres! ;)

and yes, exactly, smaller films too!

That's why I don't need another Star Wars score. 6 are more than enough for me..

Oh, and also I would love if he had scored a Ghibli anime film!! I love those!

By the way, whatever my feelings are about a new Star Wars score, i want this to be noted ( :mrgreen: ), that I think, actually i would say i'm 80% positive that he won't score it in the end.

That's why I don't need another Star Wars score.

No one ever needs a score

If you don't need it, then why do you want it? ("you" doesn't refer to you, it's rhetorical)

I guess this is just a philosophical question (hasn't anything to do with the subject)

If you don't need it, then why do you want it?

As a nice bonus.

I am not going to kill myself over JW scoring or not scoring a certain type of film over a SW film.

So we are bickering over the fact that Williams might be scoring another movie? I say any movie is a good thing at this point, whether Spielberg, non-Spielberg, drama, comedy or Star Wars. I will certainly not spit on the prospect of a new JW score.

actually i would say i'm 80% positive that he won't score it in the end.

What makes you think so?

well, just a feeling. nothing more..

hmmm.. perhaps.. after the not so good experience of williams scoring the prequels, i am not so sure if he would like to get back to this.. (yes, he said that he would, but he didn't convince me much)

and I always considered him as a man who wants to do new things and accept new challenges and not do the same over and over and over (x 7 times) again.

maybe that was one reason too, why he didn't do all the Potter films.

Abrams is probably quietly chomping at the bit to work with John Williams. He likely secretly wants him more than Gia for this, understandably so. Even Gia probably knows it.

Gia wants another Williams score like any of us.

And probably that way he evades the inevitable comparisons, in which he would lose, because its impossible anyone composes a Star wars score better than Williams...

Thoug i would love to hear a Giacchino Star Wars score. I wouldnt mind him doing a spin off.

I just hope williams can compose the three new episodes...

It wouldn't surprise me if Williams and Giacchino work together in some capacity doing the score for Episode 7, and then Giacchino scores 8 and 9 solo if Williams is unwilling or unable to do them himself.

As for the spinoffs, way too early to predict anything since I think they are coming out in 2016 and 2018.

Thoug i would love to hear a Giacchino Star Wars score. I wouldnt mind him doing a spin off.

Gia could develop his own material in a spin-off (I guess Williams' themes wouldn't be necessary there).

On non-Star Wars films for Williams to score, I'd welcome anything that has some measure of adventure to it.

Just small-scale drama stuff doesn't interest me much though.

May I ask something?

Am I the only one in this forum that doesn't want Williams to score a new Star Wars film?

I have mixed feelings. At this point I just want him to write as much music as possible, so I'll happily take SW7 over nothing. But given the choice between something totally different and SW7, I'm not sure which one I would pick.

if it was GL directing... im not sure i would want another hacked up, uninspired (by that reason) score. Bu since JJ since to treat his composer well and love the old fashioned music, and have Williams in high regard....I want him to work with williams.

May I ask something?

Well I won't say I don't want one but I will say I don't need one. As far as I'm cocncerned he's said enough, musically, on the series. Although a new director and less involvement from Lucas could inspire Williams to come up with something special

I still believe the odds favor Giacchino scoring it, I also believe everyone is giving Williams his respect, which is rare for a composer to be thought of that way.

Either way it's a positive, if Williams scores it, great. If Giacchino does, great too.

Too much STAR WARS and NOT enough *weight* for what Williams could REALLY do!

He hasn't done a "Super Hero" since "Superman" and I really think that the *man* would like a break from "Space".

Again, as always, I say WONDER WOMAN, because only Mr. Williams could reveal that part of the "Amazing Amazon" in his own inimitable *style*.....

As for the rest of *speculation*???????

Well, you know how to *masturbate* already.......so....

"fill your hands....."

May I ask something?

Well I won't say I don't want one but I will say I don't need one. As far as I'm cocncerned he's said enough, musically, on the series.

Exactly, thank you!

it's like asking from Beethoven to write his 9th symphony 6-7 times!

Composers should just move on...

May I ask something?

Well I won't say I don't want one but I will say I don't need one. As far as I'm cocncerned he's said enough, musically, on the series.

Exactly, thank you!

Your example is a bit askew but you honestly do not see any musical possibilities in SW for JW anymore? It is not like his 6 scores for the series are identical or uniform. My own view is that JW is not in a hurry to choose just any movie that gets offered to him as he has been exclusively scoring Spielberg films for a good while now and basically rejected most other things offered to him (I would imagine a lot of projects get thrown his way). So the prospect of getting another large scale score opposed to not getting anything is to me a pretty enticing one.

That said I would gladly hear anything new from the Maestro as I said before in this thread.

Beethoven wrote 9 symphonies, not 6. ;)

Karol

I meant - of course - , it's like asking from Beethoven to write each time similar symphonies in scope, size and musical content with the 9th symphony.

May I ask something?

Exactly, thank you!

Your example is a bit askew but you honestly do not see any musical possibilities in SW for JW anymore? It is not like his 6 scores for the series are identical or uniform. My own view is that JW is not in a hurry to choose just any movie that gets offered to him as he has been exclusively scoring Spielberg films for a good while now and basically rejected most other things offered to him. So the prospect of getting another large scale score opposed to not getting anything is to me a pretty enticing one.

yes, as I said some posts above, if i was to choose between Star Wars and nothing, of course I would choose Star Wars.

But I really would prefer if he had another option and could write another score.

Ok, he wrote Star Wars, 6 of them, the first ones are included in the best scores in history, there's no reason in continuing this thing over and over and over...

it's the same thing with me not wanting to see Johnny Depp playing the same character over and over in Tim Burton movies..

Well, I think we all agree with you on that, filmmusic. Of course, I'd rather him tackle a completely fresh projects. It's just that it isn't very likely for him to write any other score at all.

Karol

Well, I think we all agree with you on that, filmmusic. Of course, I'd rather him tackle a completely fresh projects. It's just that it isn't very likely for him to write any other score at all.

Karol

Well, I was just thinking that if he isn't attached to Star Wars, someone could offer him another option.

But if he will be attached to Star Wars with certainty, then noone will offer him something else..

Oh I don't think it is about someone offering Williams projects, it is more about Williams accepting them. If anything he seems these days to score films as a favour to his dear friends more than anything else.

but since now, Williams only scores spielberg's films, and he does not pass on him, this is probably the only non-spielberg score we are getting.

and since its a large epic story..it has a lot of potential :)

I mean, if Williams doesnt score SW 7, that's one williams score we wont get. If he scores it, there wont we any films he doesnt score because he is commited to SW.