What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

There are several... ;)

Watched House of Cards 3. It was very uneven. Spacey is great, some good moments. But they're losing me. Too much wandering.

Hey, don't I say this of every show at the moment? It certainly feels that way... ;)

Karol

House of Cards 3x11 Chapter 37

The debate episode! The debate was actually pretty well done, despite reminding me of the annoyances of real life debates (circling back to make the same points over and over instead of moving forward)... which I guess was the point. So Frank backstabds Jackie on stage, and she turns around and backstabs him and endorses Dunbar. Damn, Frank - turnabout is fair play! He really botched that whole thing up. So Rachel is alive after all - no surprise there! The only weird part is that now that Gavin is safely out of the country, he's risking things to tell Doug this instead of letting it go. I know he wants Doug to release his friend, but that seems like a flimsy reason to me. I liked the scenes with the rib guy, and then Remy quitting at the end was a bit of a shock! Claire seems to be lost and aimless right now. I have no idea what she wants or needs out of life at this point. I think everything she told Yates is going to not be good for the Underwoods.

There are several... ;)

Watched House of Cards 3. It was very uneven. Spacey is great, some good moments. But they're losing me. Too much wandering.

Hey, don't I say this of every show at the moment? It certainly feels that way... ;)

Karol

It's the most uneven of the seasons. Unfocused despite its strengths, which I hope won't plague the next season. But you watch it still because of the good elements that are there.

Does anyone know if Avatar: The Last Airbender is worth watching?

It is actually a very good show. Certainly a million times better than the movie.

There are several... ;)

Karol

It's the most uneven of the seasons. Unfocused despite its strengths, which I hope won't plague the next season. But you watch it still because of the good elements that are there.

Yup that was my impression as well. There was a bit too much of the " invidual problem solving episode" type of situation even though they had some throughline with the overall plot. Still the central conflict this season could have been stronger.

It is actually a very good show. Certainly a million times better than the movie.

Yes.

Agreed. I was an extra in the movie, and had no idea what the show was at the time of filming, never heard of it. After I finished up I caught a couple of epidsodes on TV just out of curiosity and was instantly hooked. Went out and bought all three season DVD collections. You may have to give it a few episodes before it really starts cooking.

Apparently Agent Hayley Atwell has gone down far better than expected. Looks like I'll be checking out the pilot then.

It never worked well. The last episode was better but I tended to watch Basketball instead. Much more exciting.

Yes, I'll upload a pic later. I'm a bit out of focus and in the background, but it's me. If you've ever seen the movie (and I'm sorry if you have) it's the scene where Zhao is giving a mocking toast to Zuko during a dinner scene. It's the only part of filming where we all had our helmets off.

House of Cards 3x12 Chapter 38

So Yates reveals his book to Frank and its pretty much exactly the opposite of what Frank wants, and he fires him. No surprises here. Love the threat he puts down that he'll reveal who really wrote Scorpion. I've liked this entire storyline all season. Dunbar stoops to the Underwoods' level and tries to blackmail them over Claire's false abortion. What a stupid move to do without the book in her own possession. Love that Doug burned it in front of Frank, and that Frank trusts he has no copes, and even makes Doug the chief of staff. Kinda funny that Seth thought he ever had a chance, but liked the bit where Doug trusts him to show Frank some notes without Doug looking over them. Remy and Jackie's storyline is meh. Doug contacting that FBI guy again.... just let it go Doug! Who freaking cares about Rachel at this point! Are they really gonna track down Gavin just to get her? And Doug has to kinda coerce the FBI guy to help? Bah. Surprised where the episode ending, with Claire admitting to Frank they've been lying to each other for decades. I feel like the writers have completely rewritten their marriage this season. It was never an issue before. Kinda lame.

One episode to go!

The Fall 2x01 Walk The Line

For some reason I thought Spector and his entire family left town at the end of last season, but I guess he is just holed up somewhere while his wife stays home and watches after the kids without his help? WTF, and what does she think is his reason for being away - just the affair with the babysitter he lied about? OK.... watching Spector with that dumb girl on the train was ridiculous. "Oh, you seem awfully concerned if you look like the murderer thats in the news! Here, look at my ID that has my address on it to see what I look like with brown hair!" I mean... really? I didn't really care about him being creepy with his daughter's dolls (Why did she say she "left them" if he's holed up in some hiding place?)... and him killing the chick who Stella interviewed was creepy. She didn't hear him talking to her daughter in the house? Sheesh.

As usually the best parts are scenes with Stella, Gillian Anderson was again terrific. Loved her deciding to put the uniform on, her interaction with the police chief, and her little run-in with the wannabe thugs who live in the last victim's neighborhood. This show would be nothing without her. Her investigation isn't going well, running out of money and having no real leads. But then they find the scissors in the river... will that really help much?

Girls 4x08 Tad & Loreen & Avi & Shanaz

What a dreadful, boring episode. I don't care about Hannah's parents or their friends, not even how Hannah will be affected by her dad coming out. I don't care about Marnie and her awful decision to marry her music partner. Those two selfish ecomaniacs deserve each other. Jessa gets another basically cameo smoking a butt a nd not doing much else. The writers really have no freaking idea what to do with her. At least we got no Adam or Mimi Rose this week, that was nice. As always, the best parts were Shoshannah and Ray. in fact, Shoshannah's line about wanting the soup guy's cock in her slimy pussy was so goddamn hilarious I must have laughed over the next 5 lines of dialogue. Saved the episode.

Strike Back: Shadow Warfare

British TV show about a secret military section battling terrorism. Macho and shallow, but also very entertaining. With simple but effective characterisations like loyalty, betrayal, revenge. Like NCIS but with swearing, nudity and lots of bloodshed. The kind of show where every car thats driven ultimately explodes, al filmed in impressive Top Gear like1080.

Brooklyn 99 1x18 Captain Peralta

Bradley Whitford was pretty good as Jake's dad, a nice additional to the supporting cast. Too bad he's such an a-hole, and you can't blame Jake for being done with him at the end of the episode. The plot with Holt's brain teaser was pretty good. Fox actually posted the solution on the web after the show, with Andre Braugher reading it to the camera in character as Holt. Sadly the solution is so easy its not realistic that Holt wouldn't have figured it out in 20 years. Oh well

How I Met Your Mother is the other CBS comedy I watched all the way through (all 9 seasons). The final episode was such a "fuck you" to fans it turned me off from speaking positively about the show at all, but if I try to forget about the ending I have many fond memories of it for the years prior.

HIMYM was really lousy during season 7 and 8, but recovered pretty well for much of the final season. I'm perfectly satisfied with the finale and still stay it's a fitting end for the series, and not a contradiction in any way.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the finale and still stay it's a fitting end for the series, and not a contradiction in any way.

.......WHhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaat? Are you being honest and serious right now? If so you're the only person I've ever encountered, in real life or the internet, that didn't hate the finale.

Wow.

Well I never have.
House of Cards 3x13 Chapter 39
Lame final episode, for sure. I loved how it opened, showing us Rachel's new life set to music, but then it had a weird cut to the opening credits. Then I didn't understand at all all the scenes of Doug stalking then kidnapping her. For one thing, doesn't he have duties back home as the Chief of Staff? For another, hasn't it been made clear she won't talk and whatever she knows (Which I don't even remember at this point) doesn't really matter any more? I thought Doug wanted to find her because he was like in love with her or something, but nothing like that came up at all, he basically juts wanted to kill her I guess. Lame.
The only other plot in the episode, besides Frank winning in Iowa, was the Claire/Frank stuff which I don't think worked at all. I feel like the writers have just made up out of the blue that Claire is unhappy and then dragged it out over a whole season. It was just so out of character that she'd strand Frank in Iowa, then want a divorce in the middle of a re-election campaign. Just didn't buy any aspect of this story at all. There was some good acting in their confrontation in the oval office, but that's about it. Lame.

House of Cards Season 3 overall thoughts
Far and away weaker than the first two seasons. Too many plots came and went without any kind of grand resolution. Am Works.... Jordan Valley.... Yates's book.... Russian President.... its like the writers came up with the basis of big plots but had no idea how to end them. Having Doug be alive and not dead as thought was great, but they didn't really go far enough with him working for Dunbar and drudging the Rachel thing up again was ultimately lame. Jackie dropping out and Remy quitting was completely ignored in the final episode. Oh well. Maybe Season 4 will bounce back? I have to imagine at this point the entire show will end in season 5 in 2017.

Well I never have.
Lame final episode, for sure. I loved how it opened, showing us Rachel's new life set to music, but then it had a weird cut to the opening credits. Then I didn't understand at all all the scenes of Doug stalking then kidnapping her. For one thing, doesn't he have duties back home as the Chief of Staff? For another, hasn't it been made clear she won't talk and whatever she knows (Which I don't even remember at this point) doesn't really matter any more? I thought Doug wanted to find her because he was like in love with her or something, but nothing like that came up at all, he basically juts wanted to kill her I guess. Lame.
The only other plot in the episode, besides Frank winning in Iowa, was the Claire/Frank stuff which I don't think worked at all. I feel like the writers have just made up out of the blue that Claire is unhappy and then dragged it out over a whole season. It was just so out of character that she'd strand Frank in Iowa, then want a divorce in the middle of a re-election campaign. Just didn't buy any aspect of this story at all. There was some good acting in their confrontation in the oval office, but that's about it. Lame.

Far and away weaker than the first two seasons. Too many plots came and went without any kind of grand resolution. Am Works.... Jordan Valley.... Yates's book.... Russian President.... its like the writers came up with the basis of big plots but had no idea how to end them. Having Doug be alive and not dead as thought was great, but they didn't really go far enough with him working for Dunbar and drudging the Rachel thing up again was ultimately lame. Jackie dropping out and Remy quitting was completely ignored in the final episode. Oh well. Maybe Season 4 will bounce back? I have to imagine at this point the entire show will end in season 5 in 2017.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's no coherent throughline this year, just many disparate elements wanting attention. And, as you say, most of them get no real resolutions. While others seem completely out of character.

Still, you have to admit Kevin Spacey kicks ass in this show. I'd say it's one of his finest roles ever.

Karol

Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are both great, no question. Any many of the other actors are terrific as well.

It was just the writing that took a step back this year. Oh well.

Modern Family 6x17 Closet? You'll Love It!

I was confused by this. Is people bying drones and using them to blatantly spy on their hot neighbors a thing that is really happening now? Is this an actual problem in LA? Weird. Anwyays, Phil, Luke, and Manny teaming up againt this was not as good as similar stories they've done in the past. Loved Gloria shooting it at the end. Jay realizing he's really "grump-pa" was good, as was Haley finally realizing she likes Andy (and of course he likes her back and heard her say it). The Mitch/Cam/Lilly subplot was meh. The boy Haley was dating at the beginning of the episode was pretty funny.

Well I never have.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's no coherent throughline this year, just many disparate elements wanting attention. And, as you say, most of them get no real resolutions. While others seem completely out of character.

Still, you have to admit Kevin Spacey kicks ass in this show. I'd say it's one of his finest roles ever.

Karol

Indeed. Agreed on all points except about Claire. I think this was the right direction to go through for their relationship. Before this season, they've been co-dependent, with a constant need for each other. But once Frank is at the highest seat of power, it suddenly becomes very one-sided, and when that truth hits her, she's doing what she has to do. I wonder if they'll pit them against each other in the elections or something.

Either way, despite the weak writing, I'll still be watching thanks to Spacey.

I also like Claire. We all knew she had some tendencies towards erratic behaviour before but this they really can't seem to decide what direction would be best. I always imagined her as a sort of Lady Macbeth in that things and, I guess, to some degree it's true. And, if anything, they could have cranked up the volume on the central conflict between her and Francis. It's really inconsistent.

Karol

I love Claire, she's a great character, and certainly one you can sympathize with more than Frank. And I do not mind at all them doing a story where she feels separated from Frank and not loving life in the White House as much as she thought she would. I just thought the writers dropped the ball with the handling of that story. It didn't feel like a natural and organic development of her character, it felt awkward and forced. Robin Wright did the best she could with the material but it wasn't enough.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Season 10)

Overall not a bad season. They seem to have given up on trying to be as good as their glory days or having any kind of multi-episode ideas and just did 10 funny episodes and it worked. The show isn't breaking new ground any more and isn't original any more but after a decade with these characters they are still funny so what more can you ask for. I wonder how much long it will go on for?

I love Claire, she's a great character, and certainly one you can sympathize with more than Frank. And I do not mind at all them doing a story where she feels separated from Frank and not loving life in the White House as much as she thought she would. I just thought the writers dropped the ball with the handling of that story. It didn't feel like a natural and organic development of her character, it felt awkward and forced. Robin Wright did the best she could with the material but it wasn't enough.

Well, she directed an episode or two this season, didn't she? So I guess she had some say in how it was handled.

Karol

The episodes are all acted and directed fine, I just thought the writers dropped the ball this year. You don't feel the same way?

I just meant that since Wright is both a producer and director, she must have had some sort of input into the writing process.

Or maybe not.

Karol

Who the hell knows. All I know it the season wasn't very satisfying, but hopefully Season 4 will be better.

Community 6x01 Ladders
One of the reasons Arrested Development suffered after its transnition from network TV to a streaming service was the episode lengths jumped from 22 minutes to 28ish, and that change was very apparrent; Jokes went on too long, scenes seemed padded, the pacing was off for a comedy. I was surprised when this new season of Community started and I saw the first episode was 27 minutes because I feared it would be the same. Luckily while the change in pacing was a apparent, and there were a few obvious bits that would have been the first thing to go if they were still sticking to 22 minute episodes, it wasn't sluggish overall and the pacing was more or less just fine.
The episode feels like yet another re-start episode, like the season 4 and 5 premieres, but luckily they don't dwell on that aspect too much before delving into a story about . I actually liked the tease, with Dean giving an announcement written by Abed that, as he puts it, "catches up" the viewer (Is there anyone even watching this that hasn't seen the original seasons, though?), and the frisbee roof gag. That had extra funny for me since I disc golf. I enjoyed the meta conversation about Shirley leaving to tend to her sick family member then ending up on another TV show anyway (that's exactly what happened with the actress). The new character played by Paget Brewster (a long time favorite of mine, since the Andy Richter Controls The Universe Days) seems fine enough - certainly not as quirky as any of the others, but there could be more revealed in upcoming episodes.
It was kinda nice they referred to Jeff as a teacher, since from what I recall that was a plot point of one episode last season then never brought up again. Why isn't he a lawyer again? Abed's storylines have never been as good since Troy left and this one was no exception. They really should give him a love interest, as any episodes about that have generally been good ones. Even when he was dating Brita it was better than him setting up montages and emailing Diane. Too bad John Oliver and Jonathan Banks won't be on this season, their characters were really good and unique and they'll be missed.
The ending was a shocker! I couldn't believe they actually got Shirley back to do a bit. It was basically just like first episode of last season that surprisingly brought Chevy Chase back. Sadly, I doubt Troy will be returning :(
Overall the episode doesn't really get you too excited about a full season to come, but it wasn't bad or boring just kinda.... Community. About on par with the general, average episode of the show. At least they seem to be embracing the zaninesss more than ever this year, which is nice.

So Black Science Man is getting his own late night talk show? Sweet! And Chris Nolan is one of the first guests.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-neil-degrasse-tyson-reveals-first-guests-premiere-date-for-startalk-show-20150318-story.html

:up: