Perseverance Records re-issuing The Witches Of Eastwick OST (La-La Land Records can make expanded version once it sells out)

Jay

61174283.jpg

Perseverance Records is proud to announce the reissue of the soundtrack to Witches Of Eastwick by the legendary John Williams. As with all of our reissues from the Warner/Elektra/Atlantic vaults, it's a straight up reissue of the original LP - remastered and priced just right at $12.98.

If you could compare a film composer to a rock star, John Williams is our genre's equivalent to the Beatles. He's the biggest selling, most recognized composer of all time. It is rare if you can't find SOMEBODY who hasn't heard or loved his music. Williams' music has touched so many people in the form of Star Wars, Jaws, E.T., Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Dracula, Home Alone, Jurassic Park, Catch Me If You Can, Harry Potter and so many more. With Witches Of Eastwick he created a change of pace from what he became known for. It was a playful, wonderful and brilliant score for a comedy film. When you watch the film, even Jack Nicholson whistles his own theme! The score was nominated for an Academy Award. If you missed out on the Collector's Choice reissue from a few years back, we are offering it with new artwork and remastered sound.

Release Notes:

• As with all of our Warner reissues, they handed us a quality master. It does not have that error the Collector's Choice reissue was plagued with.

• Liner notes by Randall Larson.

• This is a straight reissue using the track listing from the original LP and Collectors Choice reissue.

• Priced to sell at $12.98. As usual, we want these to be reasonably priced for collectors who missed out as well as the non-collector who saw the movie and loved the music. There will only be 3,000 copies manufactured. We will not make any more after we reach that total.

• We used the movie key art and updated the CCR art. In our opinion, this is a much better looking package that uses photos from the movie (licensed from WB).

• Grab it while you can. Once they sell out, and this one may sell faster than the previous reissues, we won't be making anymore. Our deal with Warner is for a few years so it may not see the light of day again.

Please enjoy. Please remember, there are many other consumers out there who aren’t avid collectors and simply buy a film score because they saw the movie on TV or heard it someplace else. They are the silent minority when it comes to film score sales. We want to provide you and them a chance to own these releases at a reasonable price versus the crazy sums of money speculators try to charge.

http://store.fortytw...com/wiofea.html

After the announcement, MV said:

With so many remastering and reissues I just don't get why the hell someone doesn't finally released this in complete version!

At least based on the samples it seems that this sounds a bit better then previous reissue.

We tried, but WEA gave it to Perserverance then apologized to us (forgot we asked for it when the license was with Collector's Choice). Sorry guys. Maybe in a few years time a complete release will happen. In the mean time pick this up. It's only $13 and will sound better than previous releases.

MV

&

Well, now I'm waiting for Definite version from LLL! :)

No, buy this version first so it will sell out fast. Then, we can do ours. :)

MV

Source: http://filmscoremont...mID=1&archive=0

I don't understand. Old LPs get remastered all the time to sound better. Modern technology man!

i thought the last version had excellent sound...

i'm not buying this another time...

[media=]

really? the other release claimed it had better sound than ever before...

and i have the reprint so i have no glitches.

my ears have a limit... same as with jane eyre. I dont think i'll notice the difference...

I'm curious about the sound on this. Of course I already have this and Jane Eyre, another recent reissue of the album that supposedly sounds better. I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Why didn't Perseverance just expand it themselves?

Having one Varese-style label is bad enough. We don't need another one hogging rights.

Not to start any false rumors but I imagine the answer lies within the FSM board thread for their release of Slipstream and the fiasco that followed.

I have the original release and there's no sense double dipping when we know an expanded release will more than likely be coming. But yeah I'm not too thrilled with them releasing titles that could be expanded.

Never as in "I don't want to make a bet", or as in "It will never sell out"? If it's the latter, that option is already taken by me.

Doesn't Jason owe you a CD?

Why didn't Perseverance just expand it themselves?

Having one Varese-style label is bad enough. We don't need another one hogging rights.

Not to start any false rumors but I imagine the answer lies within the FSM board thread for their release of Slipstream and the fiasco that followed.

I have the original release and there's no sense double dipping when we know an expanded release will more than likely be coming. But yeah I'm not too thrilled with them releasing titles that could be expanded.

I think they're just really bad at negotiating contracts, and yes there was the Slipstream situation, which is what made me lose respect for them as a label. That and the horrid quality of Rain Man and Red Sonja.

I am perfectly happy with the previous re-issue. I can't afford to buy the same release I already own for merely alledgedly better sound at the moment.

And I think it is unlikely that this will be sold out in a hurry.

Well I am happy that people, who didn't get it the last time it was re-issued, can now buy it. And I would not mind a complete version of this score, all those 15 to max 20 minutes of music that there is still unreleased added to the programme but on the whole it is a very well put together album in the first place.

Too bad this is not expanded. I don't know how much improvement there could be from the (correct) Collector's Choice CD, which had good sound in my memory.

Well I am happy that people, who didn't get it the last time it was re-issued, can now buy it.

How does that make you happy? I'm happy that I have it and somebody else doesn't! ;)

Actually, you can all get the complete score, as it's as ISO on the region 2 DVD, and it's in 5.1!

Well the region 2 DVD ISO score is not truly complete as there were a few pieces that were dialled out of the movie. So the bootlegs based on the OST and the ISO scores are not 100% complete but they do contain all the music as heard in the film. Those unused pieces were quite short but a real complete score release would be a welcome one.

Actually, you can all get the complete score, as it's as ISO on the region 2 DVD, and it's in 5.1!

Well the region 2 DVD ISO score is not truly complete as there were a few pieces that were dialled out of the movie. So the bootlegs based on the OST and the ISO scores are not 100% complete but they do contain all the music as heard in the film. Those unused pieces were quite short but a real complete score release would be a welcome one.

Agreed, but they are as complete as we are going to get at the moment.

Hmm. It's nice to see it available again, but I'm getting a bit tired of labels taking rights when they have no intention of expanding.

At least this time it's not missing elements or Williams being modest, so there is hope for those who wanted it complete.

I don't understand. Old LPs get remastered all the time to sound better. Modern technology man!

I'm not saying it cannot sound better, I'm just wondering if it really does. It's a digital recording, for one thing, and I always assumed the problems are mostly due to the master recording anyway.

Heretic as it may sound, THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK doesn't need any expansion. Neither does it badly need remastering.

The previouds CD releases are so dry, they sound as if all life had been sucked out of them. I'm actually surprised it's a Steiner recording, I've always thought it was Murphy, and counted it among his worst albums.

I bought the R1 DVD specifically to rip the score, but I haven't even taken it from the shrink wrap yet. I'm on the fence about this CD.

I did the same but never got around to it. I do like the film as well.

I'm happy for those who missed it and now have chance to own it but as far as my feelings go on the whole issue, I'll just keep them to myself.