John Williams and the Boston Pops - "Hooray For Hollywood" - May 25-28, 2011

TownerFan

I was at the saturday concert and it was wonderful. I was a bit disappointed when I realized they wouldn't play the oboe concerto. That was one of the reason I came from Québec to see this. But anyway, I was just so happy to see John Williams in person.

For me, the best moment was the tribute to Audrey Hepburn. Sabrina's Theme is one of my favorites. And this arrangement was wonderful.

I also loved Memoirs of a Geisha. But the orchestra performance wasn't that good. The orchestra wasn't quite sync with the percussions. And the soloist was just out of pitch. It was kind of embarrassing.

The best surprise was Hedwig's Theme at the end of the concert.

And the autograph signing actually wasn't that bad ! The security guy asked everyone to stay calm, not to wave anything in Williams face. No one came to disturb anyone. And I actually got my autograph !!!

That's me touching John Williams hand ! (Someone is hiding my face)

post-19753-0-58086600-1306777688_thumb.j

post-19753-0-44122800-1306777726_thumb.j

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused - have there been two radio broadcasts?

Yes, the live one on Saturday of Williams conducting the Boston Pops, and a pre-recorded one on Sunday of Leonard Slatkin and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra in an all-American program, including Williams' Horn Concerto.

Thanks. The Saturday one was the 112 kbps webcast one right? But did anyone near Boston catch this on the actual radio and have captured a better quality version? (Or is this an exclusive internet radio?)

I attended to Saturday's concert. It was wonderful. I know that some may disagree but I loved the Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha. People around me seemed to be very moved while listening... This is the 5th time I had the chance to attend to a JW's concert and this was my favorite.

This was also the first time I tried to get an autograph... I started to cry when I saw him. I don't know what happened to me... At first I was kind of ashamed but when JW looked at me, he gave me this tender and empathic look and he said: "Oh, that's so sweet" before he signed my Superman's LP. Even when my marker didn't work, he was very patient and tried again until he was able to sign. This was one of the best experiences of my entire life...

post-19813-0-59938700-1306867476_thumb.j

I know what you mean, maritereh. I was rendered speechless last year as well when he came over to sign my Hook LP.

Welcome to the boards maritereh! :)

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It has been wonderful to read all your impressions.

This goes to all of your who attended of course. Great reports all around. And the photos have been great as well. This way we who can't attend can have a small glimmer of what it was like to be there.

...I also loved Memoirs of a Geisha. But the orchestra performance wasn't that good. The orchestra wasn't quite sync with the percussions. And the soloist was just out of pitch. It was kind of embarrassing.

The best surprise was Hedwig's Theme at the end of the concert.

And the autograph signing actually wasn't that bad ! The security guy asked everyone to stay calm, not to wave anything in Williams face. No one came to disturb anyone. And I actually got my autograph !!!

That's me touching John Williams hand ! (Someone is hiding my face)

Hmm, sorry to disagree with you about Geisha, Proteus, but I actually thought the performance was sublime and at times i liked even better than the Chicago recording, particularly Brush on Silk. I found Martha Babcock's performance outstanding. I did seem to hear the trumpet section miss a beat once in another piece, but I'm not sure.

I agree completely with you about the signing and the Security Guy, he was very firm, but seemes genuinely concerned that we get our autographs. Incidentally, from your ticket I notice that we must've been sitting practically side by side! I was in Section 4 Row C Seat 2 and got my Star Wars LP signed.

The crowd at Symphony Hall is just obnoxious. I feel like you have a select group of people attending for the music and showing the proper etiquette. Everyone else is just there for something to do on a Saturday night. I mean, who starts blabbing in Symphony Hall while John Williams is conducting the Boston Pops in the Superman march?? People are ordering drinks nonstop in the orchestra seating, the doors never stay closed. It just seems to have become an embarrassment by my lifetime.

Anyway:

image152w.jpg

Woohoo!

Congratulations on your autographed CD!

It is a pity when people talk during a performance, but as for the drinks and stuff, isn't that the whole concept of the Pops? It was set up to provide a light atmosphere for the casual enthusiast.

I didn't find it particularly noisiy and was actually grateful that there was less use of the screen this time, allowing us to experience the music. Someone else commented to the laughs during the 1941 March, but I actually feel that they add to that performance. Same goes with the Stars and Stripes Forever.

For me, the hightlight was when John started directing the audience and then gave us the signal to stop clapping our hands and we all did; it made us feel as part of the performance.

For me, the hightlight was when John started directing the audience and then gave us the signal to stop clapping our hands and we all did; it made us feel as part of the performance.

Agreed, that was so great!

I know what you mean, maritereh. I was rendered speechless last year as well when he came over to sign my Hook LP.

Omg! That was you!? You went with your girlfriend right? I read what you wrote last year and that's what encouraged me to go try to do it!

Agree! I think that guy's advice was nice. Btw, saw your ticket and you where almost sitting next to me! Ja

Great reports all around. And the photos have been great as well. This way we who can't attend can have a small glimmer of what it was like to be there.

:) Hope you can be there sometime. There's nothing like it...

Haha, that's awesome! Yea my my GF (at the time, have a different one now) took a great picture of him signing my LP. She was wonderful, waiting outside in the rain with me for 45 minutes. Got some good video too of Williams interacting with the fans that I never posted. Here's my post from last year for those curious.

I started to cry when I saw him. I don't know what happened to me... At first I was kind of ashamed but when JW looked at me, he gave me this tender and empathic look and he said: "Oh, that's so sweet" before he signed my Superman's LP. Even when my marker didn't work, he was very patient and tried again until he was able to sign. This was one of the best experiences of my entire life...

I've teared up just thinking about getting a chance to meet and thank him for a lifetime of memories. :crymore:

I think spontaneous combustion is a serious possibility if I ever actually get the chance to.

Tonight's show wasn't as good as Wednesday. Scherzo was very disappointingly replaced without warning, no Witches of Eastwick again...I've heard Jaws' theme conducted by John Williams 4 times this week. Geisha was good. Jubilee, Dracula, Vader's theme...oh yeah. You should be so lucky to experience these in person. The performance of the night for me was Hedwig's Theme, which everyone freaked out over. We did record the show on tape, but it's probably obsolete compared to the radio broadcast.

The crowd at Symphony Hall is just obnoxious. I feel like you have a select group of people attending for the music and showing the proper etiquette. Everyone else is just there for something to do on a Saturday night. I mean, who starts blabbing in Symphony Hall while John Williams is conducting the Boston Pops in the Superman march?? People are ordering drinks nonstop in the orchestra seating, the doors never stay closed. It just seems to have become an embarrassment by my lifetime.

Anyway:

image152w.jpg

Woohoo!

Agreed. The one concert I've been to in BSH, was of John Williams back in 2001. My concert, and special after-concert private meet and greet with WIlliams in his green room, are buried somewhere on this site. I can't search for it right now cause I am at school and my internet is waaaay slow. But it's here. Somewhere. But, my complaints are the same as what you experienced. The constant shuffling of the waiters (over an increasingly annoying squeaky floor board, the chatter, the constant ordering of drinks, and the lack of manners by many, many guests. And, yes, the autograph hounds were present, even back then. Granted, I was lucky enough to meet him privately, but it was not without getting death looks from many people and even a few boos and jeers as I was led into the back rooms through security.

Even after such an amazing, once in a lifetime event, I don't think I will ever go back to BSH because the show itself was great... but the atmosphere is definitely NOT Lincoln Center, or even Heinz Hall for that matter.

Edit: Egads, sorry JL. Forgot! :)

With all that being said, if anyone has a recording of the concert, please send me a PM. Would love to hear it.

08 - Discussion of music CDs before they are in stores (ie when they "leak" to the internet) is allowed, as is discussion of leaked recording sessions, sheet music, and other bootlegs. HOWEVER:

a) You may not post a link to, or name of, any site where this material can be illegally downloaded.

b) You may not offer on the public forums to send this material to anybody who PMs you.

c) You may not ask on the public forums for somebody to PM you a link to this material.

I've teared up just thinking about getting a chance to meet and thank him for a lifetime of memories. :crymore:

I think spontaneous combustion is a serious possibility if I ever actually get the chance to.

I know what you mean. I really hope you do. It will be an experience you'll never forget :D

I agree completely with you about the signing and the Security Guy, he was very firm, but seemes genuinely concerned that we get our autographs. Incidentally, from your ticket I notice that we must've been sitting practically side by side! I was in Section 4 Row C Seat 2 and got my Star Wars LP signed.

Agree! I think that guy's advice was nice. Btw, saw your ticket and you where almost sitting next to me! Ja

It's a pleasure to meet you ! I think I remember your faces :D I didn't realize there were so many fans from this forum out there ! I would love to come back next year. It was a fantastic experience and Boston is only 5 hours from Montreal. Maybe I'll see you then :up:

So after last Wednesday's awesome experience, I doubted anything remotely as awesome could happen again soon. Yet I was in the city with my mother Saturday (my first day of summer vacation!), and as the 7:00 hour approached, I wondered if I could catch Williams arriving to the Hall. We headed over there, my mom with my "Star Wars" LP and me with the photo I posted earlier printed out wonderfully. Sure enough, after ten or fifteen minutes, Williams' car pulled up, he got out, and walked right over to us!

0529110049a.jpg

(I'll post a pic of the vinyl later)

He didn't talk much, seemed to be in a bit of a hurry, but I wished him a great show with a quick pat on the shoulder, then he went to the other side, signed for the few other people, then darted inside. It was over in a matter of seconds! A hurry indeed, but he was still nice enough to sign, so thanks again, Mr. Williams! :D

• 1 month later...

I agree -- he used to meet with us indoors, near the interior stage door. I don't think he's done that since 2006, but given these people this year, hopefully he'll start that up again next year. It's also much more conducive for taking photos to be indoors.

I really think the BPO needs to either create a place inside for Williams to sign where only ticket-holders can get to, or perhaps create some kind of formal line outside where you must show a ticket stub in order to get in line, and ask people to only get one item signed. SOMETHING needs to change. The experience outside was the only mark against an otherwise fabulous night!

WGBH Boston Live from Fraser has a program up with Keisuke Wakao featuring Williams' Oboe Concerto (arranged for oboe & piano by JW himself):

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/Live-from-Fraser-Audio-276/episodes/Oboist-Keisuke-Wakao-29779

I can't understand how listen to the stream however...

WGBH Boston Live from Fraser has a program up with Keisuke Wakao featuring Williams' Oboe Concerto (arranged for oboe & piano by JW himself):

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/Live-from-Fraser-Audio-276/episodes/Oboist-Keisuke-Wakao-29779

I can't understand how listen to the stream however...

I think the programme is not available yet but is just announced. You can quite easily listen to the other ones listed on the site.

Thanks for the info Maurizio! I am looking forward to hearing this! :)

ok, we need to downloadhelper this or record the stream

I can't figure out when it's going to be played .Those radio websites are difficult to dicipher

• 2 weeks later...