Complete Cue List - War Of The Worlds (Williams, 2005)

Jay

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I thought threads were erased if No One replies for five consecutive years?

That would be a stupid policy. There's hundreds of threads older than 5 years with invaluable information that should be preserved, just like this one!

I had an idle thought this morning about how massively different the reaction to Intrada's War of the Worlds expansion would have been if there had been no recording session leak and no sheet music leak.

To only learn now that the ending was revised 4 times, that there are 2 different prologues and epilogues, that the Entrance to Boston had 2 different inserts, that 3 OST track had music written especially for it in them, etc....

As cool as it's been to have all this knowledge and have all this music clean already for the past decade, it does make these specialty label expansions less special in a way.

Oh, totally different for sure. I suppose an official release allows those who don't do boots to hear the complete score, but for those of us who've had the sessions for the last decade (or whatever), all we're really doing is paying for the sessions to be mastered with more polish.

That statement assumes that the session leak already contained everything recorded for the film, which is clearly not the case with this score

True, but we still lose the joy of hearing the bulk of the unreleased music for the first time. There's very little to discover. I suspect that most around here go crazy for expansions like this simply because they're 'official'.

The Wild Wild West DE was an amazing release as all of the unreleased music was being heard outside the film for the first time.

Well, we had the Minority Report sessions for a while and I'm sure some folks assumed they were complete but wasn't there additional unheard music on the LLL set from last year?

Yes there was a bunch of the stuff on the LLL set that was not in the session leak for Minority Report, and the same thing is happening here, that is my point

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The sessions for WOTW are a mess anyway, so it'll be good to listen to the score in a more organized way.

Eh? Some slight redundancies? yes. a mess? No.

A mess would mean lots of micredits, or everything in a wierd order, ala TFA.

This all is partly why I don't bother trying to discover scores nowadays - I'd only be annoyed by the OST and the sessions would be a mess with a lot of work required to beat it into shape, bad sound, or not even available at all. I'm following and checking out what the labels are coming out with so the proper presentation is pretty much my first impression of many of them. Pretty close to first with WotW.

Just now, Jay said:

There's a session leak for TFA?

no just the iso score leak

Just now, Jay said:

There's a session leak for TFA?

No, there is only that iso leak, but it is a mess. With all the tracking and stuff.

Just now, Holko said:

This all is partly why I don't bother trying to discover scores nowadays - I'd only be annoyed by the OST and the sessions would be a mess with a lot of work required to beat it into shape, bad sound, or not even available at all.

I do like having "unmastered" sessions for modern scores that I actually like, because I can make them sound how I personally like.

I was never aware of a "true" WOTW session leak, I only saw a finished fan edit that was made using the sessions as their base.

A lot like the War Horse "session leak" that was fully assembled. Presumably both scores had more comprehensive leaks, ala the Schindler's List bootleg (maybe with less alternate takes), that weren't widely circulated. 

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I was never aware of a "true" WOTW session leak, I only saw a finished fan edit that was made using the sessions as their base.

A lot like the War Horse "session leak" that was fully assembled. Presumably both scores had more comprehensive leaks, ala the Schindler's List bootleg (maybe with less alternate takes), that weren't widely circulated. 

The War Horse session was a real session leak, it just had a track added IIRC....

Sure, I just mean it was all fully assembled and in chronological order, which the original leak almost certainly wouldn't have been. Sessions themselves are usually a mess of inserts and short cues. 

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Sure, I just mean it was all fully assembled and in chronological order, which the original leak almost certainly wouldn't have been. Sessions themselves are usually a mess of inserts and short cues. 

Depends on the initial source in my experience.

Most JW leaks (Schindlers aside) have been pretty tidy:

Indy 4

War of the Worlds

Hook

Minority Report

War Horse

Chamber of Secrets

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2020 at 4:08 PM, Jay said:

I had an idle thought this morning about how massively different the reaction to Intrada's War of the Worlds expansion would have been if there had been no recording session leak and no sheet music leak.

To only learn now that the ending was revised 4 times, that there are 2 different prologues and epilogues, that the Entrance to Boston had 2 different inserts, that 3 OST track had music written especially for it in them, etc....

As cool as it's been to have all this knowledge and have all this music clean already for the past decade, it does make these specialty label expansions less special in a way.

As the leaks completely passed me by and I didn't dive into this score much before now, all of that, and the older discussion in this thread, is very fascinating to read and discover :)